jumping my xmaxx over my house >

jumping my xmaxx over my house

jumping my xmaxx over my house

Old 03-20-2016, 03:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default jumping my xmaxx over my house

x-maxx vs house!

Video does not do this justice, but here it is...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

couple of problems i'm having trying to jump over my house.

1. no center diff. the run up to this jump is too short and it's in bumpy grass. so i have to feather the throttle like crazy or it just flips over. hard to get going fast in a short run up when you can't keep the front end down so i'm not getting the speed i need. if i had a center diff, i could drop the hammer and be at top speed by the time i get to the ramp since i wouldn't have to worry about it flipping over.

2. i lose sight of it once it's over the house. i have to stand behind the ramp to line it up for the launch, so once it gets airborne and it's over the crest of the house i can't see it to sight the landing so i don't know what corrections are needed to land it cleanly. as you can clearly see by me still being on full throttle and cocked sideways when it hits the ground. if i could see it in the air i could correct and land it properly.

also notice when it hits the corner of the roof how much the roof deflects

i measured the distance from the end of the ramp to the crater in the ground where it landed and it flew over 50 feet!!

luckily i had parts on hand so she's already back together good as new.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Looks like fun.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

I love this kind of rc Madness

hey why don't you train right next to the rooftop first ? Just a few feet on the side. So you can see the whole jumping and the landing + you don't touch the house but still can judge if you mad the jump or not

I would love to do this on my house, but still got 20 years left to pay the thing !!

Edit : you should also train to be 45° on the side of the jump , after the rc takes off. it might help you to put a straight line on the ground for reference ( can be a water line )
this guy has the best advice : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCW...NRrs4BJ1ktsP8A
Old 03-20-2016, 06:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Great vid! Nice one on the last one, you made it other than a rough landing that broke some parts lol.

I would try standing ON the roof. Should be able to stand almost directly straight with the ramp and then get a cool view of flyover the garage and see the landing as well.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by werner sline
hey why don't you train right next to the rooftop first ? Just a few feet on the side. So you can see the whole jumping and the landing + you don't touch the house but still can judge if you mad the jump or not

I would love to do this on my house, but still got 20 years left to pay the thing !!

Edit : you should also train to be 45° on the side of the jump , after the rc takes off. it might help you to put a straight line on the ground for reference ( can be a water line )
this guy has the best advice : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCW...NRrs4BJ1ktsP8A
i've done a lot of jumps over my old truck there in the driveway, and i could judge it next to the house that it was flying high and far enough, but that was with a smooth run up all the way down my driveway. trying to get enough steam on the short run up in the bumpy grass is my problem, the thing wheelies all over itself.

im with you on the still owing on the house. but like jim koehler always says "it's only parts!"

and i can normally line jumps up from any angle, but my 4' wide ramp gets skinny real quick when i'm blasting through the bumpy grass, especially when the truck is almost 2' wide lol.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mrgrimm
Great vid! Nice one on the last one, you made it other than a rough landing that broke some parts lol.

I would try standing ON the roof. Should be able to stand almost directly straight with the ramp and then get a cool view of flyover the garage and see the landing as well.
thanks. i thought about that too. i don't trust myself not to get fixated on the truck flying by and losing my balance. broken a-arms are enough, don't need any broken me-arms.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:53 AM
Tech Adept

That's really impressive. Especially considering you were able to make that many attempts before any carnage.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:11 AM
Tech Rookie

If you're not too worried about the old center diff, try this. Take it out, clean out the grease, then fill it with salt. DIY locked diff! When you want to revert you simply "float" the salt out with a water bath.

As far as sight, maybe stand on the Silverado? You could put up some driveway markers in the grass in a vee towards the ramp if you're not good at lining it up with a sidelong vantage point.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Cool vid! Pretty impressive how many crash landings it took to finally break the XMaxx. I saw your vid over on the Traxxas forum but didn't comment because I'm not a member there lol! You commented that you weren't getting much action in your thread. I think it's because of the title. If you started another thread titled XMaxx garage jump or something similar I think you would get a lot more views. Back to your jumping though. One idea you could try is to mark your run up to the ramp somehow. Kinda like the pipes that mark the lanes on a racetrack. You could use a roll of caution tape, pipe, sticks, just anything to mark your run up to the ramp. I've done it in my yard before and it made it a lot easier to hit my ramp. Just keep it between the lines and your good.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:30 AM
Tech Initiate

hydrocarbon: there is no center diff for this truck yet. it's full time 4wd. if someone made a center diff for it i think i'd be able to get a lot more speed in such a short run up.

micah: i actually did have a marker somewhat. i got the lawnmower out and mowed the run up as short as i could, so the grass kinda looked different. didn't make much difference because the ground is so wet and soft that my footsteps were making ruts.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Sorry, I read that as open diff. I'm not sure if that would solve more issues than it would create. There's a chance it would be too much for the diff given the grass's traction level, spinning the front & giving less speed.

I've done things such as put a narrow strip of packaging tape around the rear tire to reduce it's traction. However it was usually for sliding a 2wd rather than jumping a house - and not on a vehicle that can balloon it's tires to 2x their static OD. Now that I think about it, if your tires do balloon then that may help. Running a string instead of tape may reduce the ballooned OD, which would be similar to running more RPM to the front tires. If you can put smaller tires on the rear that would be better.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:28 PM
Tech Adept

so.... what broke?
Old 03-20-2016, 11:59 PM
Tech Champion

Nice.. I'm not a huge Traxxas fan, but I'm very much in favor of this sort of RC shenanigans..
Old 03-21-2016, 04:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jimbo74
so.... what broke?
there's a picture of the broken parts in the video but here's what broke:
upper/lower control arm
hinge pin
shock shaft
Old 03-22-2016, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by werner sline
I love this kind of rc Madness

That's a badass video!

Thanks

The video jumping the house is sweet too. I hope to see more soon

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.