Wiki Posts
Search

Which MT? Returning to hobby after 12+ years

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 08:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Which MT? Returning to hobby after 12+ years

Hi all.

I'm Ben from Sheffield UK, When I was in my teens I was in to everything RC. I used to race indoors with a Pro4 and bash outside with a nitro touring car and a nitro buggy. I kind of lost interest as it was getting harder to stretch the pocket money.

I was reminiscing with my old racing buddy over a few beers the other weekend and both of us said we were getting the itch to buy an RC now we have proper jobs and disposable income. So he is off with the Air Force for a few months and we plan on buying a pair of MT's when he gets back - just for bashing and killing a few hours over the weekends. We haven't moved too far away from each other. Roughly in the middle there is an old abandoned golf course that is just used for dog walks and kids playing football. We used to bash the buggy over the old bunkers as they made good obstacles / jumps. A couple of 1/8th MT's would be great fun here.

I was looking at the Savage Octane as the videos I've seen made it look and sound great. Reading further its been discontinued and was a huge unreliable flop? Should I wait for the V2, buy something else? Looking around that budget or a bit cheaper for something gas/nitro. Got a couple of months to research and decide but any input would be much appreciated
Old 04-25-2016, 07:05 PM
Tech Adept

The Losi XXL2 either gas or electric are super popular right now.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:10 PM
Tech Champion

Definitely give the Octane a miss. 8th scale gas just doesn't work(especially as advertised, i.e. "easier than nitro", which is just a stupid, false marketing ploy..)

Now, the best alternative would be to buy the gas LST XXL-2, and sell all the gas components, and put in an LRP ZR.30X with pullstart backplate and Spinstart cover. That's likely to be pricey and involve some doing though. It will blow any gas truck away, AND be way easier to break in and tune. The ZR.30X is super user-friendly, with big time power.

Next up I would consider a simple Savage X4.6.

Another good option would be a truggy. But there again you're limited when it comes to RTR's.(look around.. Kyosho, Hyper??..) And a kit with all the goodies would cost a lot. A cheaper race kit with Nova Top 25 or 28 with used pipe off ebay, some basic Savox servos, a Sanwa/Airtronics MX-V, and a used starter box would be a nice package..

Some food for thought anyway..
Old 04-26-2016, 12:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you guys.
Definitely not against doing some building and playing. Was kind of disappointed to see most trucks are RTR now anyway.

Hear the losi truck is better handling than the savage which does appeal to me. Not really bothered about popping wheelies
Old 04-26-2016, 12:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Just had a look at the engine you suggested...over 4 bhp!! Crikey
Old 04-26-2016, 01:13 AM
Tech Regular

I agree with Herrsavage, avoid any gas RC trucks that are smaller than 1/5 scale, they are riddled with technical problems. If you want a gas powered truck, I'd recommend the Redcat Rampage MT V3. It's very affordable for a 1/5 scale MT, but a pretty good truck as well. A buddy of mine has one and it's pretty reliable for him. I've seen that thing run countless times, and every time it has performed perfectly. The only downside is that it isn't very fast, does maybe 30-35 MPH or so. But it is massive and has the advantage of running on pump gas.

+1 For LRP! I run a Z.28 in my custom T Maxx, and it simply hauls! Revs to the moon and has drivetrain destroying torque to boot! On top of that, it's one of the easiest tuning engines I've ever owned.

As for nitro trucks, the Savage X 4.6 is an excellent option. Can be upgraded, a very good stock engine, and also very well built. I'd say the Savage is the best overall 1/8 scale MT out there right now. It is one of the most durable trucks there is. It jumps well, wheelies on command, and is great off road. My buddy who owns the Rampage has A Savage as well, and loves it. Not much to say about the Savage that hasn't already been said really, it's a well established platform and just a great design. I think the Savage SS comes in kit form if you're into building. You could also buy a roller and put your own engine in it.

Another option is the Traxxas Revo. It's not technically 1/8 scale (Traxxas under rates their scale sizes), but it's about the same size as most 1/8 trucks. The Revo will offer better handling in stock form than a Savage or really any 1/8 MT will, but at the cost of durability. It, like most Traxxas trucks, will need some upgrades to be fully bullet proof, but it's not bad in stock form. Definitely better than the T Maxx. I'm not much of a fan of Traxxas engines, though. They are powerful for their size, but are difficult to tune at times, don't hold a tune well, and have a tendency to develop air leaks at the carb base unless sealed. Traxxas does have great support and parts availability, though.

For a more scale looking truck, I'd recommend the Kyosho Mad Force Kruiser 2.0. I absolutely love mine. It has been a very reliable truck. Easy to tune, powerful, and too fast for it's own good. It wheelies on command, and wheelies in second gear even. The only time it has broken was when it ran away on me due to a bad receiver pack wire connection, and slammed into a brick wall at near full speed. I broke a suspension arm, bent a dogbone, and cracked a rim. All said and done it cost about $10 to fix minus the rim, which was still usable. The only downside to this truck is stock parts availability and the lack of aftermarket support. Everything must be ordered for it, and sometimes takes awhile to get. But it is a cool solid axle experience to say the least and is incredibly durable.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks mate.

I like the idea of buying a kit / roller and adding the LRP engine. I absolutely loved building my pro 4 and nitro buggy last time round.

I will check out all of the other suggestions as well.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:08 AM
Tech Rookie

I have just seen that I can pick up a savage ss kit for half the price of an octane! That might be the winner. Leaving enough in the kitty for decent radio gear and hop ups. Have to admit I'm a sucker for the purple anodised shiney bits.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Depending on how often you plan to use it, electric is also a good option. They are less noisy, require less maitnence and still go as fast or faster than nitros. Losi trucks are pretty rugged from what I am hearing. The savage series is also a good go. Really depends. What does your lhs stock? Even Traxxas is ok...... Well sorta.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:08 AM
Tech Rookie

It will all be internet purchases. Not got a decent shop anywhere within a decent drive anymore. The one I used to use sadly closed down.

I'm definitely looking for something engine powered for now. I had both previously and enjoyed the nitro for bashing more. Even though my electric car was definitely the quickest and cleanest. I will probably end up with both again in future. There's just something about the noise and smoke I like.

I think the losi and the savage are front runners at the minute. As I can get them at reasonable prices I would be tempted to buy the kit and the LRP engine. Then try selling the stock motor on eBay. Found a few YouTube videos of savages running the LRP and boy do they shift!
Old 04-26-2016, 10:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Losi XXL2E Highly recommend.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

Highly recommended to stay out of the hobby another 12 years. LOL
Old 04-27-2016, 03:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by trout74
Losi XXL2E Highly recommend.
Thanks for the suggestion - They do look rapid. I will be buying something engine powered first though.

You don't happen to keep marine fish as well do you? I know of a Trout on a marine forum and you don't see the name that often.

Originally Posted by superjoe5000
Highly recommended to stay out of the hobby another 12 years. LOL
LOL - I think my bank balance and girlfriend would like this advice the most!
Old 04-27-2016, 04:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ben1987
Thanks for the suggestion - They do look rapid. I will be buying something engine powered first though.

You don't happen to keep marine fish as well do you? I know of a Trout on a marine forum and you don't see the name that often.

LOL - I think my bank balance and girlfriend would like this advice the most!
Funny, I do have fish tanks, but they are tropical fish, and I don't visit the forums. Coincidence. If your staying engine powered, then I vote 8ight-3.0 truggy and put on monster truck tires and engine of choice. Currently they are on sale for $449 as athe 8ight4.0 is now out, great value. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2016, 06:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trout74
Funny, I do have fish tanks, but they are tropical fish, and I don't visit the forums. Coincidence. If your staying engine powered, then I vote 8ight-3.0 truggy and put on monster truck tires and engine of choice. Currently they are on sale for $449 as athe 8ight4.0 is now out, great value. Good luck!

I agree 100%.......... get a truggy over a MT... ! more durable and reliable !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.