Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New xxl2e owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by themanwithnonam
What servo(s) are you running? I don't think you will see much improvement if don't have stronger power hungry servos. I tried running a single hitec 7980 and without the bec it would make the esc flip and the motor would kick in randomly. Now I then tried two savöx servos and it almost jammed the esc at full throttle for several seconds. Actually hurt myself pretty bad grabbing the car. I was doing this indoor and was being a bit careless. With a bec that's all gone.
Stock servos. Read in an earlier post that the stock servos can run on 7.4. Rx only supplies 6 volts. The servos have more power. I figure the 1.4 volts is almost 25%.
So that should be a healthy increase maybe.
Just trying it out. If it doesn't work I'll get another servo. I already have 1 hs7954sh which does 403 inoz at 7.4. I'll just get another or try switching the servo savers to the mgt springs. Supposed to be stiffer.
See what happens.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:02 PM
Tech Regular

This is how I adjusted the throttle curve last night.
Worked very well.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:18 PM
Tech Regular

Just plugged it in and checked. No smoke tonight.
Then it on and tried steering. Pretty snappy now. I the servo savers being upgraded will help more also. Gotta go. Lipos to run out. Yippee!!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

What servo(s) are you running? I don't think you will see much improvement if don't have stronger power hungry servos. I tried running a single hitec 7980 and without the bec it would make the esc flip and the motor would kick in randomly. Now I then tried two savöx servos and it almost jammed the esc at full throttle for several seconds. Actually hurt myself pretty bad grabbing the car. I was doing this indoor and was being a bit careless. With a bec that's all gone.
Servos don't have to be power hungry to see the benefits of an external bec, as long as it's more capable than an esc's internal bec. Any Bec is just a power source and like any other power source there will be voltage drop under load. I once hooked up a multimeter to measure the amp draw of a servo while sawing the transmitter wheel back and forth. I saw an average draw closing in on 1amp with spikes up to around 1.5amps. Even on a 5amp rated bec your going to see the normal 5.5v it puts out drop lower under load. Strap on a 10amp bec and the voltage will drop less because it can put out more amps. Raise the voltage and your going to draw less amps, Ohm's law, wattage = volts multiplied by amps. Any load, servo, motor, etc is going to draw a certain wattage. Divide watts by amps and you get voltage or vice versa.

It's not scientific but my nephews LST had LED's on it plugged into the receiver and they dimmed a lot when you steered. With a Castle 10amp bec set to the same 5.1v the MMM esc puts out the LED's dimmed less because the external bec is capable of more amps so voltage under load doesn't drop as much. With the external bec set to around 5.7v the LED's didn't dim at all and servo performance was improved. I eventually settled on 6.3v for that truck to keep from burning out the LED's and the servos liked it too. More voltage equals less amps drawn. A bec may be rated to 5amps or 10amps but that's the max, doesn't mean voltage won't drop when you try to draw that many amps. That's the part nobody tells you.

Originally Posted by 47yok
Stock servos. Read in an earlier post that the stock servos can run on 7.4. Rx only supplies 6 volts.
RX doesn't supply 6v, it supplies whatever the esc's internal bec puts out. In the case of the Sidewinder8 esc that comes with the XXL2e that's 5.5v. BTW the receiver can pose a power restriction to the servo(s) if they're trying to draw enough. This is usually only an issue with high power servos, multiple servos and/or a heavy vehicle. But the harness you were using was initially made for 1/5 for this very reason to ensure the servos get all the juice they need without any potential power restriction of running servo power through the receiver.

Edit: Glad everything worked out for you in the end.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:03 PM
Tech Regular

Stock servos. Read in an earlier post that the stock servos can run on 7.4. Rx only supplies 6 volts. The servos have more power. I figure the 1.4 volts is almost 25%.
So that should be a healthy increase maybe.
Just trying it out. If it doesn't work I'll get another servo. I already have 1 hs7954sh which does 403 inoz at 7.4. I'll just get another or try switching the servo savers to the mgt springs. Supposed to be stiffer.
See what happens.
ah ok, missed that. I have the mgt springs and it made noticable diffrence.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Overdriven
Servos don't have to be power hungry to see the benefits of an external bec, as long as it's more capable than an esc's internal bec. Any Bec is just a power source and like any other power source there will be voltage drop under load. I once hooked up a multimeter to measure the amp draw of a servo while sawing the transmitter wheel back and forth. I saw an average draw closing in on 1amp with spikes up to around 1.5amps. Even on a 5amp rated bec your going to see the normal 5.5v it puts out drop lower under load. Strap on a 10amp bec and the voltage will drop less because it can put out more amps. Raise the voltage and your going to draw less amps, Ohm's law, wattage = volts multiplied by amps. Any load, servo, motor, etc is going to draw a certain wattage. Divide watts by amps and you get voltage or vice versa.
I don't want to start a fight about this, but Ohm's law is volt = current x resistance. Let's call it's V = IR if you think of the servo as the resistance it simply states that when you have higher voltage it will draw more amps not less. if the resistance is i.e 2ohm

1) 7.4V = I x 2 => I = 7.4/2 = 3.7 Ampere
2) 5.5V = I x 2 => I = 5.5/2 = 2.75 Amps

I see it this way -> With a higher voltage the wheels will turn in say 0.5 secs
With a lower voltage the wheels turn slower in, lets say 0.8 secs the wattage used to turn the wheels may be the same as watt is defined as energy over a period of time. But in order to turn the wheels faster more juice (amps) is needed and it's possible to draw more amps with a higher potential. (Volts).

What I'm trying to say is

High voltage = more amps drawn a shorter period of time
Lesser voltage = less amps drawn over a longer period of time.
The same amount energy (VxI) is used measured over time.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:07 AM
Tech Regular

ah ok, missed that. I have the mgt springs and it made noticable diffrence.
How difficult is it to swap those springs?
Old 04-13-2016, 02:18 AM
Tech Regular

How difficult is it to swap those springs?
Very easy but I only done it once 3 years ago. If I remember correctly you buy the mgt servosaver and use the stock servo arm(s). Not sure if the mgt came as a kit for all splines or if you needed to buy the correct version for your servo?
Old 04-13-2016, 02:22 AM
Tech Regular

Some more info here

http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...ng-servos.html

EDIT: Even more info: http://forums.thetoyz.com/index.php?showtopic=7755
Old 04-13-2016, 02:40 AM
Tech Regular

Very easy but I only done it once 3 years ago. If I remember correctly you buy the mgt servosaver and use the stock servo arm(s). Not sure if the mgt came as a kit for all splines or if you needed to buy the correct version for your servo?
I think it was an old post of yours. It was in with the one doing the single servo mod. Looked into that but 2 of the links posted aren't any good.
So couldn't find 2 of the parts.
Then read your idea. I like it. It said to use servos from the mgt.
Thanks.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:41 AM
Tech Regular

Thank you.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:58 AM
Tech Regular

jr version being discontinuned apparently?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...sc25167/p27218
Old 04-13-2016, 03:16 AM
Tech Regular

The xxl2e has spektrum 601 servos in it now. I'm trying to find spline count. Then I can order the mgt saver.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:53 AM
Tech Regular

The xxl2e has spektrum 601 servos in it now. I'm trying to find spline count. Then I can order the mgt saver.
Spektrum is rebadged jr's or savöxes - I would guess the ones in xxl2 is jr's? Hence, 23 spline. Please verify once you find out for sure what it is.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:33 AM
Tech Regular

Spektrum is rebadged jr's or savöxes - I would guess the ones in xxl2 is jr's? Hence, 23 spline. Please verify once you find out for sure what it is.
Yup this is what I found out from 2 different places. Rebagded Jr's and 23t.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.