Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
tmaxx electric conversion >

tmaxx electric conversion

tmaxx electric conversion

Old 11-15-2014, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

Default tmaxx electric conversion

Ok guys after debating with myself for a while ive decided to turn my Tmaxx 2.5 that was purchased for $40 into electric. THE only reason i dont sell and buy an Emaxx is ive looked and found this cheaper than an emaxx off craigslist since brushed with no batteries are around 150 so actually prices to buy that or convert after adding brushless become so close the fun of converting was deciding factor. Here is the list of things i purchased for it so far.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

though i will not get the motor or esc until christmas. Next on my list is an emaxx tranny off ebay and then the spur gear parts off tower hobbies. Then ill probably get new differential gears and cvds
here are some pics
http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/Ni...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by rc car freak; 11-15-2014 at 07:53 AM. Reason: add pics
Old 11-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Looks good so far; you know that they do make conversion kits, kershawdesigns.com
Dan makes really good stuff. I once converted my tmaxx but eventually sold it. It's great stuff. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

what do you think of the rims just curious what others think cuz ive never seen them before and cant identify them and when i say ive posted more pics just check the photobucket link which im uploading more right now. the body is from a random box of crap that costed my brother $10 which had an xtm nitro excelerator roller in it that we put together. im eventually going to get another body because this one was already cut up and painted like that. Im going to make my own mount because eventually as a career i want to be fabricating metal and cutting custom metal sheapes.
i just looked at the conversion kit but i have the stuff or can get the stuff to do so at the same price but with the ability to mount differently.
well after looking i realized the conversion had steel gears but will it work with the 2.5 tranny which btw im having problems with getting it to work

Last edited by rc car freak; 11-15-2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: mind change
Old 11-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I made these mounts that will allow you to mount a brushless transmission on a tmaxx chassis.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Tech Addict

Those are cool how much for a set. Btw i would have to order off ebay not here. Also what is the largest motor that fits the blue dual motor tranny mount
Old 11-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

My adapters are $40.

You can fit a 1515 size brushless motor. ( stock brushless size for the emaxx) They also have just a single motor mount plate.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:44 PM
Tech Addict

Ok im going to try to make my own adapter but if i fail ill buy from you
Old 11-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

Ok when I ordered the stuff on friday 2-3 day shipping was cheaper than 5-6 day so I got it the stuff apparently arrived at my moms house today but I dont go back until wednesday and even then I only get the battery and servo have to wait till christmas for the rest but I get to setup the motor and esc to make sure it works. Ill be able to have the servo mounted by thursday night btw its a larger than stock servo but ill make it fit supposedly 15kg torque at 12 dollars I figured worth it even at 10kg if it isnt as strong as it says. I dont think I linked the battery but its a 4s that pushes 120a I chose 4 not 5s so that I dont push the cheap motor too hard though may eventually go 5s
Old 11-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If you're going to use the 2.5 trans I suggest you search the Traxxas forums for a mod that I believe was done by snoopmaxx. It involved making the trans forward only but the important part was using 2 gears on the intermediate and 2 gears on the output shaft, instead of just one on each. The gears are regular Traxxas gears and it strengthens the trans a lot which is needed for brushless use. Sorry I don't remember specifics let alone part numbers but this would be the cheapest option as well.

That Kershaw kit is meant for the grey transmission which is totally different from the 2.5 trans. The 3903/5/8 Emaxx trans is the best trans (basically bulletproof) but you need Blazerss' adapters to fit in a 2.5 Tmaxx or 3906 Emaxx chassis. The 3906 Emaxx trans will bolt to your chassis but they have weak points. I'm not sure if aftermarket idler gears and such are still available for the 3906 trans.

Last edited by Overdriven; 11-18-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

Yah i plan on the emaxx tranny and will attempt my own adapters first though ill probably get the slipper assembly and spur from tower hobbies i wanna order it this week before they really get out of stock on stuff considering emaxx trannies are $40 on ebay ill have that after my birthday which is the day before thanksgiving
Old 11-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html can someone with a 3903 emaxx tell me if this will fit the dual mount tranny? Ok guys like i said the hobbyking stuff arrived at my moms house i go back there tommorow and get just that night to test and make sure nothing is bad then i dont have access to it untill i get it for christmas and only dry test motor on 4s i have nothing to mount it to so ask questions now about it so i can let you know the answer tommorow and will video the test for you guys
Old 11-19-2014, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The 3903/5/8 trans and the stock mount is designed for motors with standard 25mm mounting bolt spacing and that are 42mm or less in diameter. The motor you linked is 43mm, 1mm isn't going to make a difference. Larger diameter motors like the 1717 (50mm diameter) can be made to work too but larger pinions and spurs are needed because the larger diameter hits the trans case limiting adjustability.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:24 AM
Tech Addict

Cool thanks later ill do a review sorta of the motor esc servo and battery i chose just i have nothing to test in if anyone is looking at getting any of those and wants to know something ask now or wait untill christmas
Old 11-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

Ok motor works well battery came balanced at 3.80v per cell speed controller is awesome tho 4s max on a 1/8 esc is low its good enough for this build. The video was taken with a 3s hooked up and heres the video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iVToZh-IEGE
Old 11-20-2014, 08:36 PM
Tech Addict

Ok the servo has a ton of torque it dropped right in and turned the wheels of the tmaxx as a roller right now with my tc4 that is a roller with motor and my brothers completely assembled ecx circuit. Im working on the battery mount now and for now it will be in the back for convinience since its one 4s lipo though eventually im gonna mount it on top of the servo for more front traction for hill climbing challenges

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.