Team Associated Qualifier Series Rival Monster Truck

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated Qualifier Series Rival Monster Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

I don't get it. Why would you want to spend $500 on a truck that you have to swap the esc and motor out in order to run 5 or 6s? For as much money as they want for the truck, it should come with a better esc/motor combo.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

For me it was a no brainer. I already have a brushless emaxx that wont hold up to 6S power but is still a blast to drive on 4s. Then this truck is more that sturdy enough to handle 6S (I know this because I have had several MGT's in the past) and has a 4s ESC. So for me it is simple swithc the electronics and have two trucks that I really like that have power plants that match with their respective capabilities. Also I got mine for $475 from Tower with my Gold discount. Have you looked at what is costs to get a truck that comes with a 6S capable electronics. Brushless revo and Emaxx and Savage flux all of which I have and all of which I like, but all of which are much more expensive than the Rival by at least a hundred bucks. If you think about it you can probably sell the stock electronics and but a 6S capable set and still be cheaper that the others. The only exception to this rule is the Thunder Tiger MT4 which is still $40 more than the Rival and I wouldn't have one for Two reasons. First the MT4 is Thunder Tiger, which I know is the parent company of associated, but have you ever tried to find Thunder Tiger Parts in a LHS....not happening. Second the truck is based off of a truggy which is a platform I really like for racing but not crazy about it for Monster Trucks. I like my MT's to have alot of ground clearance and super plush suspensions, which is exactly why they were phased out of racing but still a blast to bash with. Sorry for the long post but everyone seems intent to complain that the truck does not have a 6S capable speed control but the bottom line is you are not paying enough to get the capability, so if you want it you gotta pay for it.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Tech Addict

P.S.-My theory is that the motor will be fine on 6S just the speedo that limits it. That was the case with the motor in my Savage Flux 2350. I changed the speedo to a Mamba Monster and have run tons of 6S runs and it runs like a champ, I just geared down a tooth. Regardless I will probably try this motor on 6S to see how she does if it goes up in smoke so be it.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just got my notification from Tower My Rival is shipping today.
Now, I am pi$$ed)))))))))))))))

Edit=I just called my local hobby store, mine will be in next Wednesday))))
)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Last edited by Markcuda; 05-02-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Markcuda
Now, I am pi$$ed)))))))))))))))

Edit=I just called my local hobby store, mine will be in next Wednesday))))
)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Glad to hear it. I will try and post pics and first impressions. I expect the same from you....lol
Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hell, I've had my XXL for darn neert 2 months, only one tank of fuel thru it.
Don't hold your breath on MY review

I just can't see how you are going to sink so much money into the truck right off the bat.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is the same motor and esc combo from the RC8.2E RTR isnt it ?
Curious if this is enough for an MT, same relative size and weight as an XXL (sans powerplant) or is it smaller ?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Markcuda
Hell, I've had my XXL for darn neert 2 months, only one tank of fuel thru it.
Don't hold your breath on MY review

I just can't see how you are going to sink so much money into the truck right off the bat.
Well the only thing I have actually bought is the FT Steering Setup and the FT Shock Bodies and Caps. The electronics like I said are coming from my brusless emaxx which I really like but 6S on an emaxx breaks tons of parts. So basically my emaxx gets the 4S capable guts from my Rival and the Rival gets my 6S guts from emaxx. Therefore I don't really have to buy anything there, I have tons of 3S and 2S batteries. I bought the FT parts off ebay cheap because MGT's have been declining in popularity so I only have like 70 bucks in the steering and shock upgrade.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Yreka
This is the same motor and esc combo from the RC8.2E RTR isnt it ?
Curious if this is enough for an MT, same relative size and weight as an XXL (sans powerplant) or is it smaller ?
Not really sure. I will run it with stock motor and esc at least once to see how it does before switching for the mamba system.

Phil
Old 05-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Dominator79- Swapping esc's between your emaxx and rival sounds like a good idea. As far as value for your money, you hit the nail on the head. I have an mt4 and love it. I bought my mt4 back when they were only $489. It's too bad they got greedy and raised the price $100 when the truck got popular. As far as ground clearance goes, I would have to say my mt4 has just as much as a Rival on the front or rear skid plate. As far as suspension plushness, that's all in how you've got the truck set up. I can make my Mt4 suspension as soft or firm as I want.