Wiki Posts
Search

opinions needed on nitro monster trucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (98%+)
Default opinions needed on nitro monster trucks

Gentlemen, i want to buy a big nitro monster truck to jam in the mud. Which one should i go with? i like that losi xxl monster but dont know how durable it is especially with the huge spur gear sticking out the side getting damaged easily with a bad landing or something. what about the savage xl is that one any good???? any opinions? share other models that are awesome in your opinion. IM a buggy truggy guy new to monsters

cheers!
Old 11-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

the savage is the best of the best in the monster truck world
Old 11-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (98%+)
Default thankyou

thankyou for your input stan. i do like the savage.... anyone else want to chime in, please feel free to give the monster truck newbie some advice
Old 11-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Savage again.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Another vote for the Savage XL. It's a beast. I've bashed it, raced it, mudded it etc. It takes it all and begs for more.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i hear a lot of good things about savage. i never had one, im running a 3.3 t-maxx and love it!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Every Monster Truck has its own characteristics and looks... all that matters is that you should feel good and happy with your choice, not someone's choice...

But fact is that the savage is like no other...Highly recommended!!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:57 AM
Tech Champion

The Savage XL is a good, solid truck, except for the engine, which lots of people complain about and say is not good. A Savage XL with an LRP 30 would be nice.

Even nicer though would be THE complete package nitro MT - the Losi XXL. Spektrum radio, LRP Spec 3 .28 engine, dual steering servos, a functional reverse standard, a bullet-proof drivetrain, 45mph+ out of the box, etc.. If you can afford it, I would strongly suggest the Losi. It has a higher initial price, but you get good EVERYTHING right from the get-go.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Here locally there have been so many Savage models replaced by the Losi XXL, and everybody has glad they made the change. Granted alot of these people are hardcore racers like myself, but on the moto X style offroad track we run, these trucks probably take a harder beating than the typical basher puts their roller through. The LST XXL is honestly superior in most ways. Its design geometry(wheelbase/track ratio is superior to the savages), handling and suspension(Large bore shocks and travel vastly superior), steering(Dual servos allow for the potential of double the torque) are vastly superior. Its basically what I would call a large scale truggy. Extremely nimble and stable for a MT.THen add in the fact stock you get a top tier Spektrum DX3S radio system, LRP spec3 motor, very nice spin starter etc. And a few simple and inexpensive upgrades will make it as durable as any MT on the market.

Here is a thread with just how mild or wild you can build up an XXL: http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...ter-build.html I did both a basher and an all out CF racing rig. Both have held up without any broken or worn parts to date since the build.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If bashing, the xl has a great platform, strong drivetrain, except the engine, and third gear in the trans(a mod can fix that though).
Now if you bash, and run at the track, the xxl would probably be better, it will handle better, and it has better electronics, and engine. My opinion is it might not be as strong as the savage in stock form, and the drivetrain isn't as strong as the savage xl.

I have 2 savages, and a brushless lst2, and they both have their positives and negatives. Now it doesn't really matter what we think since most of us are bias to certain trucks/companies. It come down to what you want, research, watch some videos, and ultimately its your decision. Good luck, and you will enjoy both
Get both, there's my answer. Lol
Old 11-18-2011, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

I don't buy for a second though that the "Xl has a stronger drivetrain than the XXL".. No way.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by honda237
If bashing, the xl has a great platform, strong drivetrain, except the engine, and third gear in the trans(a mod can fix that though).
Now if you bash, and run at the track, the xxl would probably be better, it will handle better, and it has better electronics, and engine. My opinion is it might not be as strong as the savage in stock form, and the drivetrain isn't as strong as the savage xl.

I have 2 savages, and a brushless lst2, and they both have their positives and negatives. Now it doesn't really matter what we think since most of us are bias to certain trucks/companies. It come down to what you want, research, watch some videos, and ultimately its your decision. Good luck, and you will enjoy both
Get both, there's my answer. Lol
Drivetrain on the XL is definetly not in the same class as the XXL. No question about it. I have seen too many drivetrains grenade just in the last 2 months alone on Savage rollers.

I am without question baised towards the XXL, but thats due to the overall package and design of the vehicle, not because its a Losi product. Losi just happens to make the best MT currently. 1/5th scale I prefer the HPI 5SC SS, 1/10 scale I prefer the AE SC10, 1/8th scale SC and truggy it again is AE with their SC8 and RC8T CE, but 1/8th scale MT its LOSI all the way. Im very selective about my rollers, needs to be rugged, handle well, good aftermarket support....in other words the complete package.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Tech Champion

Off-topic, but I'd take that 5th scale Losi over anything else in the class in a heartbeat...
Old 11-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Off-topic, but I'd take that 5th scale Losi over anything else in the class in a heartbeat...
Huh? 5th scale Losi?
Old 11-18-2011, 08:04 AM
Tech Champion

Go have a look..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.