Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Savage XL transmission issues >

Savage XL transmission issues

Savage XL transmission issues

Old 09-12-2011, 05:22 PM
  #1  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Kotykeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern, ky
Posts: 3
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Savage XL transmission issues

i'm sorta new to the hobby about 4mos andI have recently purchased a savage xl. was a previouse savage 25 owner.

My issue I am having is that when I hit the throttle front wheels will spin but back wheels don't move. But if i spin wheels by hand all the wheels will move as normal. I have takin the transmission apart but didn't find any flaws no shredded gears everything seems to work as it should please help...
Kotykeith is offline  
Old 09-12-2011, 05:29 PM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
savagesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bayside, melbourne
Posts: 2,071
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default reply

9/10 times its the grub screw missing in the pinion hub, look at the front of the rear diff bulk head and see if the hub turns when the car is running off the ground and if so then that is the problem the drive train is working fine but with out the grub screw holding the hub to the pinion the rear diff just wont turn over.....good luck
savagesam is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 07:57 AM
  #3  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (7)
 
roychan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 8,206
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Kotykeith View Post
i'm sorta new to the hobby about 4mos andI have recently purchased a savage xl. was a previouse savage 25 owner.

My issue I am having is that when I hit the throttle front wheels will spin but back wheels don't move. But if i spin wheels by hand all the wheels will move as normal. I have takin the transmission apart but didn't find any flaws no shredded gears everything seems to work as it should please help...
Originally Posted by savagesam View Post
9/10 times its the grub screw missing in the pinion hub, look at the front of the rear diff bulk head and see if the hub turns when the car is running off the ground and if so then that is the problem the drive train is working fine but with out the grub screw holding the hub to the pinion the rear diff just wont turn over.....good luck
And use a good thread locker, the HPI blue thread lock is not holding it tight enough.
roychan69 is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 06:30 AM
  #4  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ontario
Posts: 1
Default

Originally Posted by savagesam View Post
9/10 times its the grub screw missing in the pinion hub, look at the front of the rear diff bulk head and see if the hub turns when the car is running off the ground and if so then that is the problem the drive train is working fine but with out the grub screw holding the hub to the pinion the rear diff just wont turn over.....good luck
im having the same problem no diff gear is shred no tranny gear either yesterday i was pushing it and the rear wheels would lock.. this morning i took rear diff out see if anything inside was broken.. didnt see anything broken now the wheels dont lock.. but when i start its only front wheel drive what does this grub screw look like?
gweedon1 is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:59 PM
  #5  
Tech Initiate
 
Speed 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Near Joliet, Il
Posts: 24
Default

For people with the Savage Xl or similar. I have had the same problem with my Xl and it was the screw shaft part #86094. I'm looking at my Savage Xl manual now and if you look at page 51 at the bottom you'll see it by the cup joint. I broke the screw in half and i would only have front wheel drive and my back wheels were locked up. Hope this helps.
Speed 66 is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 PM
  #6  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (7)
 
roychan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 8,206
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Speed 66 View Post
For people with the Savage Xl or similar. I have had the same problem with my Xl and it was the screw shaft part #86094. I'm looking at my Savage Xl manual now and if you look at page 51 at the bottom you'll see it by the cup joint. I broke the screw in half and i would only have front wheel drive and my back wheels were locked up. Hope this helps.
You need to knock that broken step screw out dude.
And replace with a new screw.
roychan69 is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 PM
  #7  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (7)
 
roychan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 8,206
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

I use a heat shrink tubing over that little step screws now, it should hold on well.
roychan69 is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.