Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

savage xs

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Tech Rookie

I've been researching trucks for a few weeks now and I think I'm going to retire my 20 year old Tamiyas (since parts are getting harder and harder to find), and order one of these at the end of the month with Tower's current coupon code.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

what the hell is wrong with my savage? i got my savage xs brand new recently. I have ran about 1.5 packs through it since i got it. last pack it started doing this. i thought maybe a set screw came loose or a tooth broke on a gear. so i took the truck apart and checked all the teeth and set screws ect. i couldn't find anything broken or missing. so after putting it back together, i took it out today and drove it around out front. after about 10 minutes...it started doing this again. its pretty cold outside...maybe 30 degrees. the savage is all stock and brand new. i am running a 2S 40C 5,000mah battery with deans. i am going to contact HPI tomorrow. in the video, i'm holding the throttle and it stops studdering and it just went silent like i let off the throttle...but i didn't. also, the esc doesn't beep anymore on startup when i plug in the battery. if i hold full throttle, it stutters for a couple seconds like in the video then just cuts off.

is the esc fried?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by tksnobords; 12-15-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by qwank
I've been researching trucks for a few weeks now and I think I'm going to retire my 20 year old Tamiyas (since parts are getting harder and harder to find), and order one of these at the end of the month with Tower's current coupon code.
get one man. i love my savage so far...minus my current issue. /\ /\

i probably should have gotten the kit instead of the rtr. but oh well. hopefully HPI will take care of me and i can get this thing running.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tksnobords
what the hell is wrong with my savage?
I just read this whole thread and I think someone had the same problem and they ended up changing the ESC and motor.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by qwank
I just read this whole thread and I think someone had the same problem and they ended up changing the ESC and motor.
i read this whole thing...but it was right before i got my savage. guess i'll have to do some searching
Old 02-04-2013, 01:57 AM
t4s
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i read this whole thing...but it was right before i got my savage. guess i'll have to do some searching
Mine had a similar problem out of the box, I noticed that on occasion one of the three plugs in the esc was sparking, I unplugged them, gave them a clean, then used a razor to to widen the split at the bottom of the plugs (very minimal) this made the plugs tighter in the hole and solved my problem.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

When my truck stutters the led is solid green indicating full throttle, as soon as it cuts off the green led starts blinking rapidly. Anyone know what this means? Does anone know what the LEDs mean on the vapor pro esc? I could only find on what the LEDs mean on the castle esc's.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

what the hell is wrong with my savage? i got my savage xs brand new recently. I have ran about 1.5 packs through it since i got it. last pack it started doing this. i thought maybe a set screw came loose or a tooth broke on a gear. so i took the truck apart and checked all the teeth and set screws ect. i couldn't find anything broken or missing. so after putting it back together, i took it out today and drove it around out front. after about 10 minutes...it started doing this again. its pretty cold outside...maybe 30 degrees. the savage is all stock and brand new. i am running a 2S 40C 5,000mah battery with deans. i am going to contact HPI tomorrow. in the video, i'm holding the throttle and it stops studdering and it just went silent like i let off the throttle...but i didn't. also, the esc doesn't beep anymore on startup when i plug in the battery. if i hold full throttle, it stutters for a couple seconds like in the video then just cuts off.

is the esc fried?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Are you sure the esc is set for lipos?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by t9dragon
Are you sure the esc is set for lipos?
pretty sure. i didn't change anything and it says it comes ready for lipo with auto lipo set by default. do you know how to confirm its set for lipo? and it ran fine for the first pack and a half.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:32 PM
t4s
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Added new wheels and tires to the SavageXS -

HPI Warlock in black with Yokohama Geolander M/T's.

See attached for picture.
Attached Thumbnails savage xs-dsc_0148.jpg  
Old 02-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Got a diff question what oils are you running in the diffs I have 7k front and 5k rear it handles really good this way but I guess in a lack of better words seems to diff out really easy. I guess I just wanted to see what you guys are running to keep this from happening any help is appreciated. Also my current esc motor combo is Momba 1/10 esc and castle 4600 4 pole motor on 2s.
Thanks
Josh
Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by t4s
Added new wheels and tires to the SavageXS -

HPI Warlock in black with Yokohama Geolander M/T's.

See attached for picture.
look good man. are those the same outer diameter as the stock tires? or are they taller?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by josh_todd
Got a diff question what oils are you running in the diffs I have 7k front and 5k rear it handles really good this way but I guess in a lack of better words seems to diff out really easy. I guess I just wanted to see what you guys are running to keep this from happening any help is appreciated. Also my current esc motor combo is Momba 1/10 esc and castle 4600 4 pole motor on 2s.
Thanks
Josh
i am running the stock grease and stock electronics still

i was just wondering if the diffs are sealed so i could try some different fluids. sounds like they are sealed lol. have you tried any other fluids? what exactly do you mean by "diff out?"
Old 02-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Yea the diffs are sealed and no I haven't tried any different fluids yet was just going to see what everyone else is running. By diffing out I mean when I push the throttle instead of picking up the front end it will just pull to the left or right if that makes any sense
Old 02-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by josh_todd
Yea the diffs are sealed and no I haven't tried any different fluids yet was just going to see what everyone else is running. By diffing out I mean when I push the throttle instead of picking up the front end it will just pull to the left or right if that makes any sense
oh ok. i understand. i'll let you guys know what fluids i run if i change it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.