Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

savage xs

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Tech Adept

I am going to have to upgrade the servo on mine.If it makes it easier to control like you say then thats what i need.Mine normaly spins out at justover half throttle.the stock tyres cant be helping that tho either.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

martin, on loose dirt it still spins out but on grass the better servo does make it more controllable. The wheelbase is just a little to short in my opinion. I wonder if the sway bars would help it from doing so much spinning?
Old 03-11-2012, 04:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Exclamation Savage xs flux - upgrades and thermal issues fixed.

Savage xs flux RTR *- heat issues fixed *(3s capable w/stock esc) and upgrades.

1. High speed / Torque servo
2. Aluminum stadium truck shocks - stiff springs*
3.Cut a hole in the body over your esc.
4.Castle CC blower fan (dremel req.) - *cut space for fan to fit around the motor and close around it. Its an easy cut trust me .... *
5. Place a nice layer of foil under the cc blower (under fan blades only) -- conducts heat better from the motor ( do not wrap your motor in foil it will fry)
6.Castle link software - this step depends on how you bash! My setting are for hard running on loose sand and mud.*
* * * * * * * * *A. Punch control / traction control - 20%~40% *( really helps with control and heat)
* * * * * * * * *B. *sensor- less *motor timing - LOWEST !!! Don't ask just turn it down!!!!!!!! *( u turn it up and u blow it up... You have been warned)(heat!!!)
* * * * * * * * *C. Throttle curve- add sum dip to your curve ( I use squirrelod's curve) I love it...... But find what works for you....
* * * * * * * * * D. Max power - 89%*

You can go as crazy as you want with your program but this setup is for long hard fast bashing.... *No heat issues or shut downs... *Will also allow you to run bigger tires and 3s ( @ own risk )

My results...
* *1. No thermal shutdowns and noticeably cooler ( got so hot it scared me on 2s before)
* 2. Extremely more controllable and predictable truck
* 3. Longer run times (kinda trivial fan eats juice)
* 4. Handles a lot better also with softer suspension - I don't jump a lot!!!
* 5. Helps stock tires hook up better....*

Just Sharing what has worked for me... *Sorry no pics available !!! *Be creative I didn't follow any guides or pics ... I did use squirrelod's tear down guide though!!! (YouTube search bar)

DON'T RUN 3s DON'T RUN 3s !!!!! DON'T RUN 3s DON'T RUN 3s !!!! Just turn up your programms!!!!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Originally Posted by martin34
I am going to have to upgrade the servo on mine.If it makes it easier to control like you say then thats what i need.Mine normaly spins out at justover half throttle.the stock tyres cant be helping that tho either.
How does this thing run with a stock servo? lol I pulled mine before its maiden voyage. It's not even half enough for this heavy little beast. There's several resonable priced servos that would fit the bill. A Hitec 645 would be good. Or theres the good ol Power HD 1501 I recommend to many who are lookin to upgrade without spending much. http://www.valuehobby.com/power-hd-1501mg.html
Fast, powerful and reliable.

Smoove Sailor
This has been mine since day one. lol Hitec 5645MG, Castle Mamba Max Pro, TORO 3900kv 4 pole from CK Hobbies (the old CK Hob.. blue canned 3800 SCT motors replacement for you guys who remember it) and TRX steel turn buckels.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

If I wanted to change the power system in this truck to something SENSORED what would you folks recommend for an ESC and motor?

Also what is Squirrelod's throttle curve?

Last edited by Pete720; 03-12-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Pete720
If I wanted to change the power system in this truck to something SENSORED what would you folks recommend for an ESC and motor?

Also what is Squirrelod's throttle curve?
Really depends on your budget. MMP/Tekin Pro would be great! For $300+, but Hobbyking has some decent priced set ups.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Tech Adept

I have got a set of proline mashers on mine now but havent ran it because i am not sure about what gearing to go for.Would the gearing hpi recomend for 3s running be ok for my xs with mashers but with a 2s battery?Got to say the mashers look realy good on the xs.It now looks like a monster truck.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by martin34
I have got a set of proline mashers on mine now but havent ran it because i am not sure about what gearing to go for.Would the gearing hpi recomend for 3s running be ok for my xs with mashers but with a 2s battery?Got to say the mashers look realy good on the xs.It now looks like a monster truck.
I think you should gear down. There's a youtube video by rcnightmare where he was running mashers and geared down about 3 teeth. Check out the video and comments. I'm running gladiators and geared down about 4.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Recent find may help someone

Drive shafts front and rear Will fail!!!
1. Wheely king drive shafts- direct fit
2. Larger hex nuts for the wheels
3. Oh yea while at it I threw on some proline mud tires and wheels.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by xblyx
I think you should gear down. There's a youtube video by rcnightmare where he was running mashers and geared down about 3 teeth. Check out the video and comments. I'm running gladiators and geared down about 4.
I am thinking maybe keep the pinion stock and get the 60th idler.Do you reckon that would work?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Tech Adept

savage xs-pict0165.jpgI got bored after work today and fitted these.Not sure how long the drive train will last tho
Old 03-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

I destroyed my rear gear shaft and cup joint running on 3s with the recommended 24 tooth pinion and 32 60 idler gear. Smoove sailor is correct about 3s being to much for this truck. I went back to the stock 28 tooth pinion with the optional 32 60 idler gear. It's geared a little lower than stock now to allow larger tires and not heat the motor up.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sm_bailey77
I destroyed my rear gear shaft and cup joint running on 3s with the recommended 24 tooth pinion and 32 60 idler gear. Smoove sailor is correct about 3s being to much for this truck. I went back to the stock 28 tooth pinion with the optional 32 60 idler gear. It's geared a little lower than stock now to allow larger tires and not heat the motor up.
Good to hear the 28th pinion and 60th idler are working good at keeping the temps down with the bigger tyres.I am going to run that gearing on 2s with my mashers.What tyres are you running and how much has the gearing affected the top speed?
Old 03-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey, all. I got two of these coming in the mail. I've read most of the thread and was going to order the trx turnbuckles. I got a couple questions. one vid I watched said you need "3 packages of the #2443" thats 6 turnbuckles? isnt there an upper & lower X4? and since im set to run 3S. replacing the idler gear to the HPI105809 32T/60T while leaving the pinion the stock 28 tooth, is better for heat then the optional 24 tooth? thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Regular

Go easy with 3s cause it will do damage to the drivetrain. I had the 24 tooth pinion and 60 idler in mine. I'm running the stock 28 tooth with the 60 idler now on 2s. Gearing is a little lower than stock now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.