Wiki Posts
Search

NEW GUY: Truck Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mecebra
so over all my best option for a beginner who will run the truck mildly and does not want to pay that much for his first truck would be?
Honestly, if you want to keep the budget down look at a Losi Aftershock. You can get em for about $330 shipped in the US. THey can be upgraded and converted to either LST2 or LST XXL spec. THe bummer is they done come with the nice DX3S radio. If you dont plan on putting much money into the truck or want to worry about converting it, then I would go with the AE MGT 8.0, which is very stout in stock trim and handles better than the Savage line. But if you have a budget of around $500, Id stretch it a bit more and grab an LST XXL considering your getting a good $175 motor and $225 telemetry 2.4gig 10 model memory radio in the deal, plus a nice 50 dollar spin starter. Your literally only paying 100 bucks for the roller.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Are you dead set on nitro? Are you dead set on a monster truck (as opposed to a Short Course truck) If you are, and want to keep your initial investment as low as possible, I'm gonna go ahead and recommend a savage or heck...even a losi Aftershock (downgraded version of the LST2) @ $399 is a decent deal if you don't abuse it too much, but once you get started, you will most likely wind up pushing any of the trucks to their limits. Be aware, that the truck itself is just an initial investment and you will need other items to get going and to maintain your truck.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ntrain42

Here is an ABUSE video of a 100% bone stock XXL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Odp5...e_gdata_player

A bone stock LST XXL is every bit as strong as a bone stock Savage XL.
Gawd! abuse is right. Absolutely zero concept of mid-air control (that's not you is it?)
Old 03-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by helibrian
Gawd! abuse is right. Absolutely zero concept of mid-air control (that's not you is it?)
LOL! No that isn't me. The driver is a moron, but its a very good vid of the abuse the XXL can take. LOL! The tires got ripped apart before any damage occured to the truck itself.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If your new to the hobby I would start out with a electric. I would hate to see you get discouraged with a nitro rig when your just barely getting your feet wet in the hobby! Spend $500 and pick yourself up a Traxxas Emaxx or Revo and you'll for sure have a pleasurable introduction into this very addictive hobby!!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Have you considered anything electric? That may be better over there as there is less to maintain and you wouldn't have to worry about getting fuel over there.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Thanks guys, I will defiantly check out them lower priced trucks, But I might en up going for the LST XXL. Mid as well pay a little extra and get the better, more fun truck. And as far as going electric, I feel that my attention is drawn more into the nitro side. Just feels right
Old 03-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Guys, if he wanted electric or a SC truck he would be posting questions about it in another forum. He wants to bash, and when it comes to bashing over multiple types of terrain(tall grass especially)the MT is the way to go.

Mecebra: I sent you a reply. My honest take is to spend a few more bucks up front and go with the LST XXL. Its a VERY REFINED nitro MT, and is going to be your best bang for the buck. The engine is very forgiving and easy to tune, and it has serious nuts. You get a very nice quality spinstarter, and the 2.4gig telemtry radio itself(which is not the cheap cr@p you find in most kits) will pay off dividends in the long run, because if you ever decide you want to pick up more kits you wont need to buy another radio, just a receiver since it has 10 model memory. The XXL is a beast and a blast to run.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah man I hear you, makes sense. Looks to be a pretty sick truck, Been doing my research and watching movies and all that good stuff. Trying to find videos of people I feel would be driving their trucks the same I would. Losi have some good cosmetic up grades too? I've seen yours, so sick.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mecebra
Yeah man I hear you, makes sense. Looks to be a pretty sick truck, Been doing my research and watching movies and all that good stuff. Trying to find videos of people I feel would be driving their trucks the same I would. Losi have some good cosmetic up grades too? I've seen yours, so sick.
You saw mine? Where? LST forums? I assume you saw the CF racer since I have 2 XXL's. I use one dedicated for racing, and the other is for bashing.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Adept

oh shit, never mind. Was not your truck. You quoted the message. Im sure yours is still sick though, haha.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Guys, if he wanted electric or a SC truck he would be posting questions about it in another forum. He wants to bash, and when it comes to bashing over multiple types of terrain(tall grass especially)the MT is the way to go.
True, but most people just getting into it really don't know what they want, as there are so many options. For example; he started out asking about trucks in the under $400 range. You've already got him convinced to spend $670 in just a matter of a few posts. He did say he wanted to keep it mild and cheap. Personally I would still go nitro though. An electric TC is one thing, but an electric MT just ain't right! Your sinuses don't burn and eyes don't water when you run an electric on the bench, and they just don't get nearly as greasy
Old 03-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by helibrian
True, but most people just getting into it really don't know what they want, as there are so many options. For example; he started out asking about trucks in the under $400 range. You've already got him convinced to spend $670 in just a matter of a few posts. He did say he wanted to keep it mild and cheap. Personally I would still go nitro though. An electric TC is one thing, but an electric MT just ain't right! Your sinuses don't burn and eyes don't water when you run an electric on the bench, and they just don't get nearly as greasy
His stated budget was $500, I just stated that if he could stretch the budget $50 more he can get an XXL(Not $670), which would give him ALOT more bang for the buck for his money than a cheaper product in the 3-400 range. Nitro, I agree is the way to go, half the fun is the nitro sound and smell. Brushless electric setups in reality end up being alot more expensive and I find lose alot of the natural "fun/cool factor" without question. The first time he rips his XXL at WOT its a 100% garenteed fact he will be back on this thread thanking me.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

His stated budget was $500, I just stated that if he could stretch the budget $50 more he can get an XXL(Not $670),
XXL $669.99 retail

Savage X $480 retail
t-maxx $435 retail
I shoulda said under $500 range, my mistake

Sure deals on any one of them can be found here and there. A friend of mine recently paid $365 on sale, plus coupon, for a Savage x.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

LST XXL!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.