Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
SAVAGE - SS, .25, .21 Official Thread! >

SAVAGE - SS, .25, .21 Official Thread!

SAVAGE - SS, .25, .21 Official Thread!

Old 08-25-2004, 03:45 AM
Tech Elite

Talking SAVAGE - SS, .25, .21, 4.6, X Official Thread!

Following on from the Truckzilla thread, here's the RC Tech official Savage owners thread.

Post away!

[Edit] Well overdue - title now includes the 4.6, X. I would have put Ltd Edition too but it wouldn't fit!!

Last edited by Horatio; 01-20-2006 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Updating Title
Old 08-25-2004, 04:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ok, i support u...as long as u don't go touring with yer RS Yok.
*** my EVO 3 is broken...glad my Savage is ok.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:03 AM
Tech Master

Default Savage SS

Hey Horatio, any Revo's showed up yet at your track? If so how did they do?
Old 08-25-2004, 04:41 AM
Tech Elite

2 racers have them on order from the USA - but they're not quite officially available over here yet. One of them has his Revo stuck in UK customs and there's a bit of hassle apparently - it's been about 3 weeks .

By the time he gets it sorted out, the summer season will be finished over here - no more truckin' However, I reckon I'll have my Savage up against Revo's before the end of September. I can hardly wait to see if all the Revo hype is justified.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jfc_tech
Ok, i support u...as long as u don't go touring with yer RS Yok.
*** my EVO 3 is broken...glad my Savage is ok.
Cheers mate! Haha, those 'toy' touring cars are just to keep my reflexes good over the winter, til I get to race the proper machines again in the summer!
Old 08-25-2004, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Default SS

Hey Horatio, how is your motor holding up after you modded it? You might want to put a larger carb on it too.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

The porting seems to be working very well. I had to lean the mixtures slightly, but the bottom end response is better and the truck reaches peak RPM quicker.

I've got an OS Carb that I had planned on using on my S-25, but it doesn't fit the intake of the casing - the carb seems to big.

The carb has some sort of plastic sleeve around it, so perhaps if I can remove this sleeve, then maybe it will fit. Getting this sleeve off is going to be interesting though!
Old 08-25-2004, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

hey, is it tru that your bottom end settings are too rich if you hold the fuel line, and the engines rmp go up and then idle down? some 1/8 onroad driver told me that, so i have been leaning out my sirio .18 on my t-maxx(i still have respect for yall, were all monster truck fans anyways). the driver said that when the settings are right, the engine should idle consistently without losing or gaining rpm while you hold the fuel line until it cuts off. i still cant get this to happen, though my engines performance was fine before hand. any suggestions?
Old 08-25-2004, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Default Savage SS

Horatio , make friends with a machinist !! Get him to turn the carb down for you. Have you measured the carb make sure it is larger than your stock 25 carb I think it is 7mm.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

horatio, in your avatar, i notice that you race on grass, but your tires look like they are road rages, whats the reason?
Old 08-25-2004, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

i would measure the carb and bore the block to fit
Old 08-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

ya, what he said
Old 08-25-2004, 09:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Horatio
Cheers mate! Haha, those 'toy' touring cars are just to keep my reflexes good over the winter, til I get to race the proper machines again in the summer!

ya ya ya...now i realized after racing my Savage...there's nothing like the touring. it does help in the reflexes thing...especially in the 'S' chicane. but for the truck...if u over steer it...just go over the ramp.
my project now is getting it lowered. i want to corner as hard as possible without losing speed. now we're racing on the grass...whats yer setup for it Horatio?

suspension: front? rear?
shock weight?
camber?
engine:?
plug?
fuel nitro?
etc etc etc
thanks in advance
Old 08-26-2004, 03:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by macnkitty2002
horatio, in your avatar, i notice that you race on grass, but your tires look like they are road rages, whats the reason?
The photo is deceiving - the tyres are actually 40 series bowties, just about the best tyres you can use on grass tracks. Good traction, consistent, not too much side bite and best of all - very light! Eg the combined weight of my 40 series bowties mounted on Alloy wheels is lighter than the stock tyres mounted on the stock GT wheels!!!
Old 08-26-2004, 04:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by macnkitty2002
hey, is it tru that your bottom end settings are too rich if you hold the fuel line, and the engines rmp go up and then idle down? some 1/8 onroad driver told me that, so i have been leaning out my sirio .18 on my t-maxx(i still have respect for yall, were all monster truck fans anyways). the driver said that when the settings are right, the engine should idle consistently without losing or gaining rpm while you hold the fuel line until it cuts off. i still cant get this to happen, though my engines performance was fine before hand. any suggestions?
OFNA recommend setting the LSN on their carbs this way. It's not a technique I've ever used, but it goes like this:

Pinch the tube near the carb. The engine should rev up cleanly and then cut after about 5-6 seconds. If it revs up straight away, then it's too lean. If it takes longer than 6 seconds to rev up and then struggles to cut, then it's too rich.

It's always nice to find out about different tuning teqniques!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service