Wiki Posts
Search

picked up a savage..

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default picked up a savage..

Despite my friend having problems with his savage, i figured i would give one a try since everyone says they are amazing for bashing. So i found this truck on craigslist and for some reason i just really liked it and had to have it, so i bought it and it arrived 2 days ago.

Savage 25:

X tvps
Heavy duty roll bar
traxxas 7025 waterproof servo
aftermarket wheels
jumbo swamp dawg tires
color changing boulder holder body
ofna force .32 engine (seems really tight)
integy springs on stock shocks
hpi aluminum tuned pipe

and it came with a dx3.0 w/ receiver that i will be selling to offset the price of the truck and make it much cheaper .

Im not looking to start wars with people, im just looking for some ideas on stuff i can buy to make this a better truck? I have never had a savage before but ive driven a few stock ones. So if you have some ideas feel free to let me know what they are!! (yes i know one tire has a sidewall ripped)

Anyways, here are some pictures:

Thanks RCTech!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

First thing you'll want to do is hit up fleabay for some X SS/Flux diffs and bulkheads, and flux axles and dogbones.

Sweet score Not the ballsiest engine ever, but those Force engines are damn near unkillable.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie
First thing you'll want to do is hit up fleabay for some X SS/Flux diffs and bulkheads, and flux axles and dogbones.

Sweet score Not the ballsiest engine ever, but those Force engines are damn near unkillable.
Im going to wait on the diffs, as much of this truck that has been switched over to X stuff im willing to bet that the diffs have the 4 spider gear mod. And if not ill wait till/if they break and do the mod, but for now im not messing with that stuff, and it already has X dogbones.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

It's not the 4 spider gear thing that you're wanting (a lot of Savage 25s had that anyway), it's the aluminum diff cups and bulletproof ring&pinion gears

Dogbones are the same X RTR to 25/21 RTR
Old 08-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Tech Addict

It's not the 4 spider gear thing that you're wanting (a lot of Savage 25s had that anyway), it's the aluminum diff cups and bulletproof ring&pinion gears

Dogbones are the same X RTR to 25/21 RTR
Oh ok, ill def look into the xl bulletproof diffs sometime, and nice to know about the dogbones. I thought they were different, but what do you mean that "a lot of savage 25s had that anyway"?

Did some savage 25s come that way from the factory? Or do you just mean a lot of people swapped them?
Old 08-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by All4BSpinnin
Oh ok, ill def look into the xl bulletproof diffs sometime, and nice to know about the dogbones. I thought they were different, but what do you mean that "a lot of savage 25s had that anyway"?

Did some savage 25s come that way from the factory? Or do you just mean a lot of people swapped them?
Both.

Later built Savage 25s (mid 2004-on) had 4 gear diffs, but the 4 gear diff swap was VERY common with Savage guys. Even before it was available from HPI, they were using Kyosho parts to do it.

Does it have the X bulkheads?
*edit* nope
That right there is the reason ThunderbirdJunkie never bought a Savage until the X came out. Soooo much of a pain to swap diffs in a pre-X Savage.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Both.

Later built Savage 25s (mid 2004-on) had 4 gear diffs, but the 4 gear diff swap was VERY common with Savage guys. Even before it was available from HPI, they were using Kyosho parts to do it.

Does it have the X bulkheads?
*edit* nope
That right there is the reason ThunderbirdJunkie never bought a Savage until the X came out. Soooo much of a pain to swap diffs in a pre-X Savage.
God I hated those early diffs. I still run my 2003ish Savage 25 and the very first upgrade was to a 4 gear diff. Ever since I replaced them, I haven't had any troubles at all with them. I haven't had to take the diffs out in 4 years, I probably forgot how to by now .

Another thing I would look at is the brakes, with the kinda weight that thing has got to be pulling, I can imagine the brakes are kinda toast. But maybe not. I use the HPI dual disk brake (the stainless steel ones I think, not the carbon or graphite ones). They work very well for me, although I know some people prefer the carbon or graphite ones. My truck can pull the back end into the air if I stab the brakes hard enough using the stock servo.

I don't know what kind of tires you plan on using, but a lighter tire might be a good option for you. Those tires look heavy as hell and look like they would only hurt the truck more than anything else. I don't know about those springs either, didn't even know Integy was a viable option for springs. I use RCRaven's triple rate spring, works better than stock, and thats all I care about. Besides, they were cheap too, I think I payed $10 for the whole set.

One other thing that is a very smart thing to do with these older Savages..
Replace that plastic steering bellcrank system that has the weak servo saver and buy the upgrade from HPI or some other company. I use the HPI system and works like a dream, the steering action got sooo much more precise on my Savage and had a slight bit of more snap since I tightened the servo saver up a tad more than what stock offers. I'm still running the stock servo after all these years so its as far as I can safely go without burning a servo.

Other than that, good luck! Hope this little project of yours goes well.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

Ive talked to a guy over on hpisf and he said that he used to use these springs and they are just fine, and most likely im going to keep this tires till something negative happens. And it seems to already have the dual stainless steel disc brakes.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Those tires won't hurt anything as long as you don't get stupid with the throttle and brakes on big jumps.

Also, the HPI Orange springs are ITBJHO the best. The truck sucks up the bumps a lot better and sits lower so it handles better too. If you run them though, run 20wt shock oil.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)
Thumbs up

Best mods hands down are these 3.

1. Ofna throttle linkage mod.
2. Dynamite 086 pipe
3. XL swap like others have stated.

A front tank mod is amazing also but requires diff tvps and a diff linkage setup.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

The 053 pipe has worked better on Force engines in ThunderbirdJunkie's prior experience, but either one will be better than what's on there
Old 08-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Rookie

That thing is awsome!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by epic rc
That thing is awsome!!!
This makes me smile, lol i love hearing that i atleast have a decent savage.

And thank you all for the recomendations i will def look into it all, im unsure whether or not i want to go with FLM EXT LCG TVPs or not.. soo many decisions lol.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

Originally Posted by All4BSpinnin
This makes me smile, lol i love hearing that i atleast have a decent savage.

And thank you all for the recomendations i will def look into it all, im unsure whether or not i want to go with FLM EXT LCG TVPs or not.. soo many decisions lol.
Here are some pics of my old FLM savage. One of the guys over at HPISF actually owns it now. It'll show you how you can set it up. I also had the RSC (Single best purchase you can make for a Savage for handling). The handling of this truck will beat a stock Revo hands down if done right. Sure, you can set up a revo properly too, but this would still stay side by side.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Tech Addict

I think im going to buy a hitec 5955tg servo for my steering, and put the 2075 on throttle duties. But i was thinking today, will i need a new horn also or will the horn i have now fit on the hitec servo?

The horn that is on there now is like a big circular black thing, lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.