Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about MT's

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Tech Adept

Default Question about MT's

I hate to ask such a newb question, but all of my nitro experience is associated with 1/10 ST's.

I'm looking to get a MT and wanted to know how the Savage, Revo, MGT, LST, etc fair against eachother? Basically, pro's, con's. which MT should I invest in?

Thanks in advance,

Fred
Old 03-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

That totally is dependent on several factors, are you going to race only, race mostly, bash mostly, bash only. Do you want a heavier truck with a big block, or a lighter truck with a small block. Heavy Bashing, moderate bashing, how much you want to spend, ease of repair and rebuild. what does your LHS stock parts for and what do all teh otehr kids play with.
Race only, Revo is ultra race ready out of the box, and pretty good for bashing. Moderate/easy for rebuild and repairs. Middle price range of group. Savage takes a beating and keeps on ticking, ok for racing. Difficult/moderate repairs, but lack of repairs and least expensive of group.
LST, many arm issues. LST 2, pretty good racer, pretty good basher, no idea on ease of repair, but most expensive of group. MGT, not sure on this, heard it is a decent racer, decent basher. all you others feel free to expand upon or detract from what I said.
HTH
Rod
Old 03-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Tech Adept

Not entirely sure about the racing at the moment. I do intend to run it at the track on practice days with my 1/10's though, but definitely no bashing.

Originally, I was leaning towards the Savage, but since I do in fact like to tinker, it would end up being a money pitt based on what I've seen.

I'm definitely an Associated guy, but I haven't seen or heard too much about the MGT's.

I've heard nothing but good feedback regarding the Revo.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking Tamiya TNX 5.2R

i personally run the Tamiya TNX 5.2R and its a wicked truck.its light with a big block motor.good for the track and not a bad basher.only thing i plan to do to it is put a Monster GT fuel tank on it and an aftermarket pipe.the stock tyres are not too bad on our track too which is a bonus.

there are Monster GT (MTA4) at our track as well as Savages and the LST2.all of them have good and bad points, the LST2 and MTA4 are better racers in my opinion than the Savage.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm a big LST fan, I own 3. I also own a Revo, a Savage and a MGT, OH and a Genessis. For working on them the LST is the easiest. Out of the box the Revo is probably the best racer (LST is a close second) but the Revo is hard to work on IMO. For toughness the MGT, for racing third. The Savage needs lots of work to be a good racer, but a pretty tough truck. Revo has the worst radio gear, LST the best. IMO you just can't go wrong with the LST.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by beni
I'm a big LST fan, I own 3. I also own a Revo, a Savage and a MGT, OH and a Genessis. For working on them the LST is the easiest. Out of the box the Revo is probably the best racer (LST is a close second) but the Revo is hard to work on IMO. For toughness the MGT, for racing third. The Savage needs lots of work to be a good racer, but a pretty tough truck. Revo has the worst radio gear, LST the best. IMO you just can't go wrong with the LST.
Ditto, Roger that, I second that motion,....
LST 2 is it for monster truck racing,
Old 03-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

savage
Old 03-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rock Pile
Ditto, Roger that, I second that motion,....
LST 2 is it for monster truck racing,
People race it, just don't win!
Old 03-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would say savage for what your probally gona be doing unless your gona be an all out racer. Savages dont need that much work to be a good racer.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Tech Adept

Losi LST2.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Its one of those things you ask 30 different guys, you get 30 different opinions
Old 03-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by redman
People race it, just don't win!
Ummm wrong!!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Adept

30 opinions from 30 different guys is great. I totally don't mind.

Thanks for the responses so far and keep 'em' coming if you can.

Hey, are any of these MT's slightly bigger than one another? The Savage seems huge and the Revo looks small, but that just might be the pictures I'm looking at.

Thanks, fellas!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the size difference wont show when driving.

ALL of these trucks need work to race, the Savage needs the most but has the lowest entry price (100 bucks cheaper then the Revo 3.3 last time i checked, could be down to 70 bucks now). LST2 is close to 600 bucks if im not mistaken.

The Savage needs some maintenance out of the box for bashing (threadlock and spur meshing, which is recommended for all trucks but especially for the Savvy) Both the Revo and LST2 pretty much require RPM A-arms, its the first thing everyone gets. then thats about as far as it goes. in the end the Savage will always be a better basher. Durability isnt something you can easily get through hop-ups (for the most part).

Revo has the highest top speed, Savage the lowest. The Savage X and Revo 3.3 will do wheelies on demand, LST2 wont. Which truck jumps better is debatable and that debate will never end. Althougyh, the Revo needs stiffer suspension to get in the ballpark of the other 2 trucks for the high flying jumps, no doubt about that.

Each truck has just about equal aftermarket support (the Savage possibly being the best given HPI's activeness in its option parts) and parts support depends on what your hobby shops carry. That should be a big deciding factor if you dont want to use on-line retailers.

I hear the Revo is a pain to work on, the LST2 is easy. the Savage X is kind of a mix IMO. the easy access radio box, tranny, and diffs easily out class the others but for tearing the entire truck down, the TVP chassis requires a bit more work. you have to pull off an entire TVP to access the lowest shaft in the tranny, to get the radio box out, to get either end of the trucks bulkheads off, or getting the engine plate out.

I hope this helps you.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I have the Revo 3.3 and LST2 and both trucks are awesome and i have both setup for racing so they both are great, don't really have anything bad to say about these trucks, both seem to be durable, i havn't broke anything yet and they both perform great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.