Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

New 2023 Team Associated 1/12 MT12 Monster Truck RTR

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 12:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've always had a soft spot for the Tamiya 1/12th Monster Trucks, especially since from what I know they are the ones who introduced hobby grade Monster Trucks to the RC community, but they leave a lot to be desired and it looks like Associated may have addressed some of those issues. I foolishly dismissed this truck until a poster above mentioned the Tamiya trucks. Now that I can see what it is and what it's trying to compete with, it looks like a great value. Anyone have one? How's the build quality? A kit with a clear body would be pretty awesome.

I think marketing could help this Monster reach a wider audience. Photograph the truck resting on mashed pumpkin with "Pumpkin Masher" printed above or a picture of the truck jumping over wrecked lunchboxes with "Lunchbox Crusher" written under. Pretty cheap and easy marketing campaign for the socials and what not.

The more I think about it, I think this may be the best readily available off road RTR on the market right now at it's price point. I'm basing my judgement on the potential fun factor it may have, it's simplicity (if built right, not overpowered, and driven within it's limits, it may be indestructible like the Tamiya's), it won't need a lot of room to have fun with, things that I've always lusted for on the Tamiya 1/12th's (oil filled adjustable shocks & diffs) and the possibility that it's made well. I would buy this over a Stampede/Slash/Rustler/etc no hesitation and my luck and satisfaction with Horizon based product has left a lot to be desired..

Saturday night RC parking lot Monster Jams would be fun and cheaper, for now, than no prep.

Last edited by MULMZ2; 05-16-2023 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:42 PM
Tech Regular

This should fit nicely, it looks better, and is cheaper than the Associated body.

232mm Wheelbase
Old 05-17-2023, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MULMZ2
This should fit nicely, it looks better, and is cheaper than the Associated body.

232mm Wheelbase
it says it's 1/10 scale and for a Stampede though. if that body fits a 1/12 monster truck id really like to know. im in between bodies on my Wheely King right now and C10's rule. what are the odds that if it doesn't fit the Wheely King it'll fit my stock wheelbase Clod?
Old 05-18-2023, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by El_Rando
it says it's 1/10 scale and for a Stampede though. if that body fits a 1/12 monster truck id really like to know. im in between bodies on my Wheely King right now and C10's rule. what are the odds that if it doesn't fit the Wheely King it'll fit my stock wheelbase Clod?
I wouldn't pay attention to the scale or what the manufacturer says it's made for, scale went out the window in this hobby quite some time ago. One of the most popular bodies for the Tekno MT410 is a Baja Bug made for short course trucks. A lot of Monster Truck guys use crawler bodies, because the wheelbase if pretty close. Also the Stampede's wheelbase is about an inch longer than the wheelbase of the JConcepts body I provided a link to. I recently put a 1/10th scale Europa body on a Hackfab Omni Mini B, fits perfect. I just extended the wheelbase of my SCX24 Deadbolt, the wheelbase is almost identical to a Mini T's, I may end up ordering a Mini T Bug body for it. I would suggest start paying attention to specs, your body options may open up.
Old 05-19-2023, 11:12 AM
Tech Adept

my question would then be, how did they measure the wheelbase? center point to center point of the wheel arches? or did they get creative with there measurement points so people would buy it and get creative with fitment?
if i can't trust claimed scale, how can i trust there measurements?
Old 05-19-2023, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by El_Rando
my question would then be, how did they measure the wheelbase? center point to center point of the wheel arches? or did they get creative with there measurement points so people would buy it and get creative with fitment?
if i can't trust claimed scale, how can i trust there measurements?
That's a good question and if you really dig the body you should reach out to JConcepts, I'm sure they'd provide you with that info. I have personally found manufactures specs to be pretty accurate and reliable and I think the linked body would be a perfect fit for the MT12. I also study pictures to see what vehicle the body I'm interested in is mounted on in the photos provided by the body manufacturer and I check out the specs for that vehicle so I can compare it to my application, so that I can get a rough idea of how it will work out. When studying pictures the thing I pay attention to the most is wheel arches and body posts, everything has worked out for me so far.
elk likes this.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

i bit the bullet and ordered the body from my LHS. should be here end of the week.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

picked my body up yesterday. it fits. wheelbase is very close. can't be more than 5/16" difference. it's a little bit wider, maybe about 7/16". so ill have to clearance the fenders and bed monster truck style. but overall it fits a 1/12 monster truck very well!
MULMZ2 likes this.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

My son and I made a quick Video about the truck.
smirkracing, MULMZ2 and El_Rando like this.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:25 AM
Tech Adept

looks like it has a tight turning radius.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 76jimmy
My son and I made a quick Video about the truck.
Skimmed through it, cool video, thanks for sharing. I'll stand by what I said, best RTR for the money and I have yet to play with one. $220 ready to go out of the box, can't beat that and at that speed I don't see it breaking, which makes it a perfect first hobby grade RC for kids. Going to pick one up eventually and I'm sure the BL motor Associated recommends is a perfect match for it. Associated needs to send a truck and motor out to a youtuber so we can see what the truck does with a little more pep.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:47 AM
Tech Addict

The turn radius is pretty good and the stock servo doesn't completely suck surprisingly. I'm super happy with this purchase and the kid is playing with rc so I'd recommend to anyone for a gift for younger kids. Just needs a bigger pack the stock is only 800mah. I had some 2200mha from the reflex's I bought a few years ago the fit perfectly.
El_Rando likes this.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Couldn't help myself I put a Surpass Hobby 2845 4370kv motor/45a esc combo in it. Fit well and was a boost in performance and runtime with a 14T pinion. Motor stayed good temp and never got hot to touch. Only thing I had to do was ream the motor mount to take 3mm mounting screws. Now we do wheelies much easier and with the DR turned down to 50-60 it runs just like the brushed motor. Nice easy upgrade for the MT.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 76jimmy
Couldn't help myself I put a Surpass Hobby 2845 4370kv motor/45a esc combo in it. Fit well and was a boost in performance and runtime with a 14T pinion. Motor stayed good temp and never got hot to touch. Only thing I had to do was ream the motor mount to take 3mm mounting screws. Now we do wheelies much easier and with the DR turned down to 50-60 it runs just like the brushed motor. Nice easy upgrade for the MT.
what size is the motor? still a 380? or is it a standard 540?
Old 06-09-2023, 05:38 PM
Tech Addict

The stock motor is a 380 size. But it uses 2.5mm mounting screws. It looks like a motor special for this mt12.

The Surpass motor dimensions fit well.

the motor plate uses the 16mm center holes for mounting
​​​
El_Rando likes this.

Last edited by 76jimmy; 06-09-2023 at 05:56 PM.