Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
new to the forums... >

new to the forums...

new to the forums...

Old 02-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default new to the forums...

Hey everybody, man, has it been a long time since I've been into the R/C scene. It's crazy of how much it's grown. While I am introducing myself, I thought it would be appropriate to have this thread in the monster trucks section because it is mostly pertaining to monster trucks

Anyways, enough with my little rambling After a 2 year break from my beloved R/C cars, it has come to my attention that R/C's are still alive and kicking quite well in my area, cumulating in the R/C Winternationals in Alberta. While I had sold my 1/8th scale GS Storm, my father kept his T-Maxx (non-running) for sentimental purposes. What I want to know is if the T-Maxx is still competitive in today's R/C world (ie, would it be a good candidate to revive and compete with for fun)? A list of things done to it:

T-Maxx 2.5 suspension w/ cv axles added
proline variable shock valves (not those fancy new ones, the old school ones that had multiple holes that opened and closed to give you varying amounts of damping)
unknow big block conversion kit (4mm thick titanium plate)
thunder tiger .21 (needs a rebuild, thinking of buying a new, more powerful motor)
traxxas aluminum *diff carrier plates, forget what they are called*
180oz/in hitec steering servo
ball bearing steering
sealed BOCA bearings all around
proline original bowtie rubber on traxxas sportmax rims

I am a very decent driver (or was, I've owned 6 t-maxx's and the GS Storm), and was as deep as you could get into these vehicles in my area. Any hints/tips would be appreciated, as I would love to get my t-maxx back on track. Thanks guys!
Old 02-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Tech Rookie

So, any thoughts? Or is nobody interested in responding? Its hard to find a forum with good, useful monster truck racing info on it...
Old 02-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, i dont know much about the T-maxx and how good it would do racing on a track, it seems like the Revo have replaced the t-maxx as far as racing goes. I guess that the Revo handles much better than the t-maxx. Here is a forum i like : www.mvbashers.org

Mostly Revo though, but there are a few t-maxx owners there too.

Good luck.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

t-maxx's are still big but quickly fading from the scene, in light of all the new kits the t-maxx is becoming obselet in stock trim. sounds like you have the hardcore racing bb conversion. you can still make the truck competitive (sounds like its upgraded well right now) but the new kits are starting to really take off. hopped-up lcg savvy's, lst's, all of the new truggy's, and the revo are all threatening the t-maxx's life. but IMO the t-maxx has had a very good, long life and unless traxxas starts doing something about it the truck will fade away. the reason why im saying the t-maxx is fading away is because everybody is turnign to the new trucks to buy instead of t-maxx's. dont get me wrong though, you can still make it run with the new trucks but you may want to eventually upgrade trucks in the future.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Tech Rookie

So basically, after being in production for how many years (6)? the truck is finally becoming obsolete on the racing scene. Makes sense, especially when everybody wants the latest, greatest, newest things (an 1/8 buggy is usually good for 2 years max before its obsolete). I'm not to worried about trucks like the savage, BFT, TNX, etc, more the Revo, LST, etc. I also have no idea which ones are classed as truggies and which ones would compete against the t-maxx. ATM, this is still mostly for fun (even though winning makes everything funner), as I don't have a ton of money to pour into the truck (but I have lots of talen )
Old 02-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

dont underestimate any trucks, look more at the drivers. a well set-up savvy or tnx or MGT can dominate a race. truggies are defined as when on a level surface and the suspension fully compressed (so its bottomed out) the bottom of the engine is less then 2 inches (is it 2 inches?) from the ground. some tracks seperate truggy's and mt's others dont
Old 02-13-2006, 12:08 AM
Tech Elite

the biggest recommendation i have is u ditch the t-maxx and buy a savage no questions asked

but the tmaxx u got sounds pretty good only thing i would do if it hasnt been run for over 2 years is change the rubber because it may hve cracked around the sidewalls

~~~just my 2 cents
Old 02-13-2006, 06:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Truck has been stored inside, so no worries about rubber (its still in very decent shape, and I have plenty of spare). As for getting a savage, I don't like having to take half my truck apart to work on it
Old 02-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

well for the record the new savage x fixed that problem..
Old 02-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Tech Rookie

I know about the Savage X, I've read about it (I was poking fun at ProudSavageOwner because he is quite opinionated on this forum ) Also (from a couple of posts earlier) I wasn't underestimating the trucks Dracy, its that I am familiar with the trucks mentioned, so I have a decent understanding (or I did) of how they perform. IMO, no truck is really better then one truck or the other in this segment of R/C from my readings (besides the t-maxx which is starting to be outdated). The driver is usually the biggest factor in the race, so we'll see how well my driving skillz have stuck with me as time has passed.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Tech Adept

The Savage X looks awesome. I've been checkin it out on the HPI website. Tower Hobbies just got it in stock. I'm gonna order it before it goes sold out.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

i agree 100% Hitemp, thats what i was getting at.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Its good we are in agreement, I was pretty sure that was the point you were trying to make