Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
New: Losi Mini 8ight Desert Buggy >

New: Losi Mini 8ight Desert Buggy

Like Tree28Likes

New: Losi Mini 8ight Desert Buggy

Reply

Old 07-23-2017, 10:00 PM
  #46  
Tech Addict
 
Backyard RC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 636
Default

The new DB looks to be the best of the Losi mini's.

jmickle11: How's your experience been with it so far?
Backyard RC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:47 AM
  #47  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 214
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Backyard RC View Post
The new DB looks to be the best of the Losi mini's.

jmickle11: How's your experience been with it so far?
I've not been able to mess with it for a week but so far I love it. Now keep in mind I'm just getting back into RC so I really don't have much to compare it with. If I had one complaint, I think it would be with the throttle/brake response...to me it's just a tad slow but that doesn't really impact me much.

This thing is pretty tough with the integrated roll cage. I think spare body panels will be needed though due to them being bolted to the roll cage especially the roof as one skid across the roof just ate away at the plastic that was against the cage!

Handling seem to be good and for fun, I put some TC wheels on it and it really handling great on pavement. I still need to get it off road although if I race this thing I'd prefer to be on an indoor carpet setup. I've got enough other things (MTB, Cyclocross bikes) that need cleaning up after playing in the dirt!!!
jmickle11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:08 PM
  #48  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 214
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Here are a couple of runs around a ball diamond. I don't know if dirt/small rock got into the drivetrain somewhere but I've got a nasty noise under acceleration. The Diffs spin fine but when you spin the wheels forward you can feel something is binding. I'll have to tear it down to see what's going on.
+ https://youtu.be/8a3NbKYHlF0" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
https://youtu.be/8a3NbKYHlF0"> https://youtu.be/8a3NbKYHlF0" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


+ https://youtu.be/19gKS5VN4rU" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
https://youtu.be/19gKS5VN4rU"> https://youtu.be/19gKS5VN4rU" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
jmickle11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:16 PM
  #49  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 214
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

And the screws are absolute garbage. Can't even get them loose to get to the pinion/spur gears. Afraid to try any more before I can find a decent precision hex set.
jmickle11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:02 AM
  #50  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 214
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

1 more update and then I need to get to work...the distractions of working out of the house are strong!

So, Again, if you get this buggy go ahead and order an extra hardware set or two...you're going to strip the screws out just changing the gearing. However, I believe the core issue is that some of them were just way over tight from the factory. Anyway, I'm going to order another set and hopefully we'll maybe have aftermarket Ti at some point?

Now, onto the issue at hand. I ran it in the dirt yesterday and when I made the Lipo run, I almost immediately heard the loud gear grinding noise. Got it tore down this morning and pinion and spur were just riddled with tiny dirt pebbles causing the issue. Go ahead and order extra spurs also as they are plastic.

Does anyone know of any metal spurs for this?

Unless, there's a way to better seal the gears from the bottom, I don't see this being a good 'dirt' buggy. Any ideas? Otherwise, I believe I'll just run it indoors and on pavement.
jmickle11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:03 AM
  #51  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 252
Default

The reason you're stripping screws is because you're not using a decent hex driver. Pick up a set of MIPs, they'll last a very long time and won't ruin your hands. Once you start using a hex driver, you'll notice that the screws you thought were stripped, are still good. The same thing happened with my vaterra Kalahari (uses very similar hardware to the mini 8ight).

Hot Racing and Robinson Racing sell hardened steel gears for the the mini 8ight which will fit this. Make sure you pick up 48 pitch gears, and they should also match hardness.
noel02 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:09 AM
  #52  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (39)
 
EbbTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Posts: 4,241
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jmickle11 View Post
1 more update and then I need to get to work...the distractions of working out of the house are strong!

So, Again, if you get this buggy go ahead and order an extra hardware set or two...you're going to strip the screws out just changing the gearing. However, I believe the core issue is that some of them were just way over tight from the factory. Anyway, I'm going to order another set and hopefully we'll maybe have aftermarket Ti at some point?

Now, onto the issue at hand. I ran it in the dirt yesterday and when I made the Lipo run, I almost immediately heard the loud gear grinding noise. Got it tore down this morning and pinion and spur were just riddled with tiny dirt pebbles causing the issue. Go ahead and order extra spurs also as they are plastic.

Does anyone know of any metal spurs for this?

Unless, there's a way to better seal the gears from the bottom, I don't see this being a good 'dirt' buggy. Any ideas? Otherwise, I believe I'll just run it indoors and on pavement.
You would think after several generations of this chassis that they would have finally figured out how to avoid rocks getting into the spur gear. One of the biggest headaches I had when I owned a Mini 8ight. Had to get a delrin cover for it. Not sure who made it though =/
EbbTide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:17 AM
  #53  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 214
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by noel02 View Post
The reason you're stripping screws is because you're not using a decent hex driver. Pick up a set of MIPs, they'll last a very long time and won't ruin your hands. Once you start using a hex driver, you'll notice that the screws you thought were stripped, are still good. The same thing happened with my vaterra Kalahari (uses very similar hardware to the mini 8ight).

Hot Racing and Robinson Racing sell hardened steel gears for the the mini 8ight which will fit this. Make sure you pick up 48 pitch gears, and they should also match hardness.
I've got a set of MIPs on the way. Thanks for the recommendation...further searching suggested MIPs were the way to go.
jmickle11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:32 PM
  #54  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 252
Default

Originally Posted by jmickle11 View Post
I've got a set of MIPs on the way. Thanks for the recommendation...further searching suggested MIPs were the way to go.
Yup, I love my set. They don't ruin your hands like aluminum knurled handles do. The tips are great quality
jmickle11 likes this.
noel02 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:13 PM
  #55  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 72
Default Pinion gear for 3 cell lipo

I just ordered one of these. Can't wait for it to come in! I also ordered a 3 cell lipo and was wondering what pinion to use with the stock motor. Losi website says 12t but would like to get as much speed as I can. Anyone running a 14t pinion on 3 cell?
Evetsyelspih is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:35 PM
  #56  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 214
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Evetsyelspih View Post
I just ordered one of these. Can't wait for it to come in! I also ordered a 3 cell lipo and was wondering what pinion to use with the stock motor. Losi website says 12t but would like to get as much speed as I can. Anyone running a 14t pinion on 3 cell?
I've not tried 3s yet. 14 works fine on 2s.
jmickle11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:37 PM
  #57  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 214
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Oh, and I thought (my ignorance) that the MiniT tires/wheels would work well on the DB. Well, I ordered a set and discovered that the axles on the DB are way too short! Live and learn!
jmickle11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:17 AM
  #58  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 72
Default

Can you use the cvd's for the 8ightT on this?
Evetsyelspih is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:49 PM
  #59  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 252
Default

Originally Posted by Evetsyelspih View Post
Can you use the cvd's for the 8ightT on this?
No, you need the buggy CVDs. Also, 3s is pretty insane on a 1/14 scale. Take it from my experience, 2s is plenty fast and you won't break nearly as many parts.
noel02 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:20 PM
  #60  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 72
Default

I used to run 3s on my rc18b and it was a blast. I've already ordered a 3s for it and the 12 tooth pinion. Hoping it will hold up we shall see. Thanks for the info on the cvd's.
Evetsyelspih is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service