Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree29Likes

New: Losi Mini 8ight Desert Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

The Losi minis and the LC Racing/Tacon vehicles all get rocks in the plastic spur gear. I upgraded to Hot Racing hardened spurs and pinions on all of mine. No more dirt problems after that.
3s is really fast but if you have throttle control it's not a problem. I suspect the esc will have problems on 3s. The Hobbywing 60a esc is a good replacement.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I got mine e cleaned up and installed new spur and pinion. Loads of tiny rocks in there! I did get the mini T wheels to go on with some modification but they are rubbing on the body. They look cool but would need a different body without the roll cage for it to work. It does look like the truggy body mount kit will work as its listed as a compatible part!

Ill keep this off of the dirt...2 hours worth of clean up and gear replacement was a pain!
Old 07-28-2017, 05:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Is there some sort of way to cover up the hole that allows dirt in?
Old 07-28-2017, 05:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Backyard RC
The Losi minis and the LC Racing/Tacon vehicles all get rocks in the plastic spur gear. I upgraded to Hot Racing hardened spurs and pinions on all of mine. No more dirt problems after that.
3s is really fast but if you have throttle control it's not a problem. I suspect the esc will have problems on 3s. The Hobbywing 60a esc is a good replacement.
Why do you think the esc will have problems on 3s? The amperage?
Old 07-28-2017, 07:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jmickle11
I got mine e cleaned up and installed new spur and pinion. Loads of tiny rocks in there! I did get the mini T wheels to go on with some modification but they are rubbing on the body. They look cool but would need a different body without the roll cage for it to work. It does look like the truggy body mount kit will work as its listed as a compatible part!

Ill keep this off of the dirt...2 hours worth of clean up and gear replacement was a pain!
Do you have an air compressor? We run our minis on our loose and semi-dusty backyard track and keep the trucks perfectly clean with just an air compressor. We carefully blow down the whole truck between every battery and the trucks never build-up enough dirt that the compressed air won't knock it all off. Easy as can be.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Evetsyelspih
Is there some sort of way to cover up the hole that allows dirt in?
Not sure. I'll have to look at it again but it seems to get in from the rear as the front is sealed pretty well. Had to take the entire rear end off just to change pinion.

Like this buggy but Kind of a bummer about the dirt.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RGunn
Do you have an air compressor? We run our minis on our loose and semi-dusty backyard track and keep the trucks perfectly clean with just an air compressor. We carefully blow down the whole truck between every battery and the trucks never build-up enough dirt that the compressed air won't knock it all off. Easy as can be.
Yes. That's what I used to clean it. Once I got the gear cover off a bunch of tiny pebbles where in there and some embedded in the spur gear.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Not sure. I'll have to look at it again but it seems to get in from the rear as the front is sealed pretty well. Had to take the entire rear end off just to change pinion.

Like this buggy but Kind of a bummer about the dirt.
You have to take the whole rear end off to change the pinion?
Old 07-28-2017, 08:17 AM
Tech Adept

You have to take the whole rear end off to change the pinion?
Oops no the spur...pinion comes off easy. The spur is the pain.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Oops no the spur...pinion comes off easy. The spur is the pain.
Is it easy to adjust the motor? I'm going straight to 3s and a 12t pinion and will have to reset the gear mesh. I can't wait to get this thing! Monday it arrives!
Old 07-28-2017, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Is it easy to adjust the motor? I'm going straight to 3s and a 12t pinion and will have to reset the gear mesh. I can't wait to get this thing! Monday it arrives!
Yes that's easy.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yes that's easy.
Cool. Have you bought any hop ups for it yet? Plan on running 3s?
Old 07-28-2017, 10:30 AM
Tech Adept

Cool. Have you bought any hop ups for it yet? Plan on running 3s?
I've ordered 2 bodies I want to paint up...1 is the Truggy body. I'll probably try 3s but it's pretty fast on 2. Other than that I just have spare parts.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Mine arrived today. My lipo won't be here until Monday so I'm stuck with that nimh garbage. I've only driven it on pavement and I like it a lot. Not satisfied with the battery. Once I get that 3s hopefully it'll scream. I see the electronics getting replaced sooner than later. I'll push it to the limit with the stock electronics and see what happens. Servo is weak is there a replacement yet that's a direct drop in?
Old 07-28-2017, 07:06 PM
Tech Adept

Mine arrived today. My lipo won't be here until Monday so I'm stuck with that nimh garbage. I've only driven it on pavement and I like it a lot. Not satisfied with the battery. Once I get that 3s hopefully it'll scream. I see the electronics getting replaced sooner than later. I'll push it to the limit with the stock electronics and see what happens. Servo is weak is there a replacement yet that's a direct drop in?
The stock battery sucks. I'm happy with mine on 2s but want to get a 3s. I just ran mine tonight after getting it back together on 2s and it ran good. I ran the entire charge and everything was good...not too hot.

Let me know how the 3s works. As far as electronics, I'm just getting back into this so I don't have any comparison but at least I could tell that eventually I'd like a bit better setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.