Search
Like Tree7772Likes

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EMU
Kyosho FHSS is the one you are looking for. Compatible with kt-531p and ky-432pt radios.
Kyosho Japan has this listed as a March release. Hopefully we'll see it in the US shortly after.
EMU and AlvBo like this.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:45 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kremzeek
Kyosho Japan has this listed as a March release. Hopefully we'll see it in the US shortly after.
Will see what happens. My optimism has faded
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:29 AM
Tech Adept

The next cheapest way to run the same radio for your larger scale vehicles and the mini Z is to get a ko propo EX2 and set it to mhs mode. The EX2 runs fhss for the larger scales and mhs for mini z only. The only issue is that only the pro VE boards can take this frequency. I had to covert my MR03 VE to a VE pro board just to consolidate all of my racing transmitters. The ex 2 is actually really reasonably priced at $250 and you can get knock off fhss receivers on e bay for $30 a piece so if you are willing to switch everything over, this will be the easiest way.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EMU
Kyosho FHSS is the one you are looking for. Compatible with kt-531p and ky-432pt radios.

my issue with the futaba rx released is that there are already many futaba customers with existing transmitters that would love to use them in this scale if they could. Forcing them to a new radio doesn't help the scale at all. Perhaps they felt that the older radios wouldn't utilize the speed of the evo electronics to its full potential, but for the most part, ease of conversation and adoption of the able in my opinion is of greater importance that response time that the newest radios have over the ones released in the last 5 years.

People are still competing with radio systems over 10 years old, and doing quite well. Having the latest and greatest response radio doesn't really make that much of a difference compared to a familiar feel and adjustment of a radio that you are comfortable with.

I would have preferred an rx compatible with a broader range of transmitters, even if the response were a little slow in comparison to the one released. The scale right now is more accessible than it has ever been, but that is not really by kyosho... more by the aftermarket micro electronics being cost effective. It is cheaper to build a modified car on a GLR platform than it is a pro stock level mini-z with the suitable hop ups, especially if you need to get a radio for the mini-z but can use an existing radio for an aftermarket platform.

just my two cents...
Completely agree. I still love (and would use if there was a track) my 4pk that has been with me the past 10 years and through Worlds. I actually had a throttle failure in it during 12th scale qualification and the Futaba, KO, and Airtronics guys ripped it apart and soldered in different bits for almost an hour. I only missed the 1 qual, and was good for the rest of 12th and all of TC as well as 2+ more years. The radio feels good, works well, and with the history it now has, I dont want to replace it.

Unrelated, a friend at the track had the spring in his KT432 fail on him mid way through the Sunday race program. Any thoughts where to get a replacement? Looks similar to most gimbal springs in flight radios.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Your 4PK can be used with Mini-Z's. There should be a tutorial over on MZR that lays out the conversion. Basically the 901SM module is de cased and installed in the battery compartment with wiring fed up through the hand grip to the non transmitting side of the main switch for use with just the ASF module. The draw back would be that you would then be limited to only the ASF system which to me is still the most stable platform.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:42 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mleemor60
Your 4PK can be used with Mini-Z's. There should be a tutorial over on MZR that lays out the conversion. Basically the 901SM module is de cased and installed in the battery compartment with wiring fed up through the hand grip to the non transmitting side of the main switch for use with just the ASF module. The draw back would be that you would then be limited to only the ASF system which to me is still the most stable platform.
http://reflexracing.net/FutabaSS_How_to.asp
3pk mod

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30918&page=2
4pk mod thread (pics from pg1 expired, there are some pics on pg2).
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Eugene. That one is for the older 3PK. In fact the module in the tutorial was mine.
EMU and AlvBo like this.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Pn 70t or 3500kv ve

Hi to all you guys. I play mr03 stock class with 3500kv ve with nimh batteries and I don't have enough power as pn 70t has. Can I go something to get the same power at least?
thank you
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:28 AM
EMU
Tech Master

Eugene. That one is for the older 3PK. In fact the module in the tutorial was mine.
I brought up the 3PK mod because there were references to it in the 4PK thread, so I wanted to bring the readers up to speed.

Originally Posted by sotirisn12
Hi to all you guys. I play mr03 stock class with 3500kv ve with nimh batteries and I don't have enough power as pn 70t has. Can I go something to get the same power at least?
thank you
In order to compare with a 70t, you need to use a larger pinion on the 3500kv. There is more low end torque on the brushless motor, but it does not have as much RPM. What motor, batteries and gearing are you using? How large is the track?
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EMU
http://reflexracing.net/FutabaSS_How_to.asp
3pk mod

4pk modification for mini-z 2.4g asf - Page 2 - Mini-ZRacer.com Forums
4pk mod thread (pics from pg1 expired, there are some pics on pg2).
I appreciate this. My entire fleet with the exception of my box stock car is ASF or MHS right now. I have an EX6R which has worked out pretty well. I prefer the weight of the KT432, but i like the 3D drop down adjustments of the EX. With my carpal tunnel, making 8 min is very difficult, as i lose feeling in my throttle finger about 4 min in and it actually hurts around the 6 min mark. Its just worse with some radios and the EX works well enough that I havent felt the need to rip open the 4PK yet hehe.

Thanks!
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by EMU
I brought up the 3PK mod because there were references to it in the 4PK thread, so I wanted to bring the readers up to speed.

In order to compare with a 70t, you need to use a larger pinion on the 3500kv. There is more low end torque on the brushless motor, but it does not have as much RPM. What motor, batteries and gearing are you using? How large is the track?
in small tracks like 7meters straight with 1 larger pinion is about the same but in big tracks like 15 meters straight is big different. I play Orion 750 sho and big tracks 14/52
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sotirisn12
in small tracks like 7meters straight with 1 larger pinion is about the same but in big tracks like 15 meters straight is big different. I play Orion 750 sho and big tracks 14/52
PN makes 64 pitch pinions up to 16T...you can experiment with the bigger pinions and perhaps drop down to 51T spur & as the next option try experimenting with smaller or larger rotors...there should be a combo there that produces good results. On medium sized 22-25 tile long tracks even though top speed is slower than 70T the higher bottom to mid torque level of 3500kv motor produced overall lower lap times for me from memory with 51/12 gearing with the standard 13.5 rotor.
Edit: to keep it simple I would start off with 51/14-15 gear ratio.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mugler
PN makes 64 pitch pinions up to 16T...you can experiment with the bigger pinions and perhaps drop down to 51T spur & as the next option try experimenting with smaller or larger rotors...there should be a combo there that produces good results. On medium sized 22-25 tile long tracks even though top speed is slower than 70T the higher bottom to mid torque level of 3500kv motor produced overall lower lap times for me from memory with 51/12 gearing with the standard 13.5 rotor.
Edit: to keep it simple I would start off with 51/14-15 gear ratio.
ok I try thank you for your help
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:40 PM
EMU
Tech Master

I use 14/51 with my 3500kv motors. I haven't tried larger 64p pinions, but have tried 11/41, 12/41 and 13/41 48p gears without any noticeable improvement in top end, but less power off the slower corners.

I just picked up a 16.5mm rotor to try with the taller gearing and see if there is improvement.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:30 AM
Tech Master

EMU, the voice you have here carries great weight. Please don't get involved with brushless rotor changing in motors at this scale. You have to but look at what that sort of shenanigans has caused and continues to cause in 1/10 scale. If it is prohibited at this scale now it will save hundreds of dollars individually and thousands across the scale World wide. You can bet it is already being done with an eye on giving or keeping an advantage at larger events like the one coming up in April.
EMU, LJH, Kremzeek and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.