Like Tree7777Likes

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 02:23 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kremzeek
My concern is the rear end. It looks really low. I don't really want to hack a hole in it to make the shock fit.
It might be a good candidate for an LM or PN flat 98mm mount, which can run a very low damper position. Then using a R246-1352 damper... I am working on a similar damper plate that mounts the damper a little lower, than standard at 98mm to be compatible with LM mounts at 98mm.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

Looks like every other stock mr03 underneath to me. I’ve yet to mess with upgrades.
Yeah, the stock stuff will probably fit. Just thinking of some of my aftermarket dampers. Like EMU said, it will probably be a good candidate for an LCG or MML mount.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:50 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kremzeek
Yeah, the stock stuff will probably fit. Just thinking of some of my aftermarket dampers. Like EMU said, it will probably be a good candidate for an LCG or MML mount.
I still look at these as stock. I’ve looked into upgrades. And have a few but haven’t used any yet. It’s still overwhelmingly trying to get the different wheelbases straight, what bodies fit what, wide or narrow.

I didn’t realize that some actually ran without rear shock until recently. Always thought there was a reason it was off in pictures.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

I usually race without a rear shock. I also only use one disc on the dds.
Just try and see what works best for you and the track.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I didn’t realize that some actually ran without rear shock until recently. Always thought there was a reason it was off in pictures.
The first Mini-Z I bought was a Ferrari F50. It was a 94mm rear motor with no top shock. Drove like garbage.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

My mod with only top disc.
Needs more on-power steering. But I can throw it into any turn as hard as I want.

AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:59 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lmlindbo
My mod with only top disc.
Needs more on-power steering. But I can throw it into any turn as hard as I want.
I have never raced a pan car but have played with RC touring cars and full size cars suspension set-ups.. The whole pan car thing kind of seemed like black magic to me until I started playing with the Mini-Z's. At first I pretty much just played with the front end figuring not much could be done wit the rear end. Then one night I was bored and read an article on disk dampeners. The next time I set up the RP track I spent a couple hours seeing what effects changing stuff had. I have to say I was shocked, pardon the pun, at the very noticeable difference with different springs and disk fluid. I mean you can completely change how the car drives by making one spring change....I thought that was VERY cool.

Cheers,
Jim
EMU and AlvBo like this.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

I now.
The feeling when you master black magic is almost second to none ;-)
LJH and AlvBo like this.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It’s still overwhelmingly trying to get the different wheelbases straight, what bodies fit what, wide or narrow.
One of these links might Help.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...2GY/edit#gid=2

Body Specifications ? MINI-Z Info
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:10 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by RussF
I’ve read many like that. And while reading it things start makes sense, but then fade weeks later when looking into a possible part. What at first looks to fit MR03. Upon closer reading it then becomes, only fit MM, LM, N ..... and so on. . It’s that memory thing that’s not great.

AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by lmlindbo
I usually race without a rear shock. I also only use one disc on the dds.
Just try and see what works best for you and the track.
So far stock has worked just fine. It’s really all I’ve ever driven in my limited time with this scale. . I’ve only tried once driving one that was a full PN car. I couldn’t judge the car because I didn’t like the odd feel to the controller.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:38 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So far stock has worked just fine. It’s really all I’ve ever driven in my limited time with this scale. . I’ve only tried once driving one that was a full PN car. I couldn’t judge the car because I didn’t like the odd feel to the controller.
Bill,
have you played with springs at all or are you really totally stock?

cheers,
Jim.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:49 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by LJH

Bill,
have you played with springs at all or are you really totally stock?

cheers,
Jim.
Box stock. Only tires have changed. And pinion and motor on the one car.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:09 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Around here, many racers use only the lower damper disc. Which provides a lot more steering, both on throttle and off. I almost always use two discs if I can fit them. I typically preload my upper disc more in faster motor classes to gain more rear traction. I also often use a top shock.

The single lower disc will allow more droop (when not using a top shock to limit it). which gains more front end traction off throttle due to weight transfer forwards being less restricted. On throttle, a preloaded lower disc will give less rear traction therefore more steering as well. I like a relatively neutral rear end, which allows me to drive the car harder. A single disc doesnt give that to me. I feel that the car will have more variance in line and react too aggressive with certain input levels. I have never tried a single upper disc though... which seems like it would give a very calm car, with a pushy nature. However, that could be compensated for with a very aggressive front end, as you will ride the front end in to the corner harder, and have loads of traction coming off the corner.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

I try to experiment a bit with setups and modifications. To try and find what works for me.
My Superstock (5500kv on nimh) has got a std PNR 2,5 with only disc under.
The mod was a project of getting a very low CG. This made it impossible to fit a disc under. So then I went disc over with extreme tire wear and a lot of maintenace as a result.

During a race night with practice, three quals and tripple A-mains I go through a couple of Marka V5F15 fronts. I have to rebuild my diff before last qual and i have to butter up the disc before each heat.
The car is crazy fast for my drivingstyle, but the setup window where it works is minimal.

I have now raised the carbon plate a few mm to get a disc under and to find a more ECO-friendly setup. ;-)

The plan this weekend is to find a less extreme setup that is just as fast and consistent.
Really have to lower my tire-budget :-)
EMU and AlvBo like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.