R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Micro and Mini Scales (https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales-115/)
-   -   Tamiya TamTech Series GB-01 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales/124714-tamiya-tamtech-series-gb-01-a.html)

gtypecanare 08-08-2006 03:57 PM

Tamiya TamTech Series GB-01

New thread for this new Tamiya chassis.

Frog

Hornet

Fox

gtypecanare 08-09-2006 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
TamTech Shooutout at the TCS Finals.

ChrisOFNA 08-09-2006 03:56 PM

Ya know, before getting my Mini Inferno, I was considering getting the Frog. Do you have any of these cars, and if so how are they like? I always was able to drive a RWD better than 4WD for some reason.

larrio 08-11-2006 02:20 PM

This should be pretty exciting, i'm looking forward to this!

The tamtech lines handle pretty well and have long run times. They have lots of options as standard parts

AWK 08-12-2006 06:01 PM

What size motors can these take? I want to put a 19 turn in one like Jun was driving today at Tamiya, but forgot to ask what size can they are. I know the stock is a 370, but do they accept 280?

gtypecanare 08-12-2006 06:16 PM

I believe Dave was running these motors.
Reedy Mini Motors

I drove a Tamiya demo car, straight out of the box and it was a blast to putt around. Looks like I got to drop a few bills and pick up one for myself

AWK 08-12-2006 06:39 PM

Thats my plan. I want to get a 19t motor, oil filled dampers (tamiya is coming out with soon) and let it rip. You know, all i wanted it for it fun so I thought the RTR was an even better idea. But after going through the list of what I would like to upgrade on this thing, its not just a basher. Motor, esc, radio, shocks......$200 for the kit then another $200 in upgrades....ug.

AWK 08-14-2006 12:15 AM

What are the battery options? I don't know how to look for a good battery for one of these. I have seen the 500mah tamiya, but I was looking for something that might last a little longer with a 19t in it. Any ideas?

forum fodder 08-14-2006 06:55 AM

You want a 6 cell pack of intellect 1400 cells

larrio 08-14-2006 08:47 AM

IIRC, Team Orion has a nice Ni-Mh pack for the mini's also

forum fodder 08-14-2006 08:58 AM

Think there are also some lipo's that will fit.

forum fodder 08-15-2006 03:25 PM

I am loking to get a GB-01 fairly soon, and i was wondering what they are like for speed? I will be adding just the tamiya sport tuned motor to start with, any suggestions on which pinion to use for smooth surfaces?

AWK 08-15-2006 06:58 PM

Thanks, what would I tell the hobby store I am looking for size wise? Also, what size tires do they use? I am looking to get some fuzzies for it.

AWK 08-15-2006 06:59 PM

Sorry, speed wise they are moderate, but not fast, tell me how the sport tuned works out.

larrio 08-16-2006 07:54 AM

The sport tuned motor isn't much faster, however it has more torque. You can clearly see it when two vehicles are driving next to each other.

They are good for bashing or in a stock class racing like the Shootout at the TCS series. If speed is your main goal, i'd go elsewhere for a faster motor. Top speed of a Tamtech out of the box is 10.xx mph (unknown at what pinion size used)

forum fodder 08-16-2006 08:12 AM

Should be able to push a bigger gear then if it has more torque. It will only be for a while before i upgrade to a brushless eventually

mini master 08-21-2006 08:36 AM

ya i saw rod using a hacker and man that thing was fast he was pulling wee-lies on the strait anyways i think if anyone goes brushless they should use the hacker because i bought a mamba for my associated mini and the speed control goes into thermal shutdown a lot :nod: :nod: :nod:

RCGaryK 08-21-2006 08:45 AM

Dan Garber was using my Tekin Mini-Rage and Dynamite C4 8000KV motor and he had tons of power...too much actually. He started the weekend with the 9200KV C4 and you just couldn't get the power down. Without a doubt though, these things need oil shocks for off roading. What a huge difference that make.

gtypecanare 08-21-2006 11:00 AM

I believe Rod had a Quark 33amp ESC and a Dynamite C4 motor powering his TamTech.

It was such a blast to see the unlimited class this weekend during the TCS Finals, these over-powered buggies made the newly renovated Tamtech Off-Road Track look small. It was a amazing to see these Tamtechs catching some good air time off of the table-top in the middle of the course. This is going to be a fun new series of buggies in the upcoming future.

forum fodder 08-22-2006 04:26 AM

I am looking at getting either 4200kv or 6800kv mamba for by GB01, any ideas on gearing for these?

forum fodder 08-22-2006 08:21 AM

What other wheels and tyres will fit the GB01? Not so worried about fronts more rears. Any minipins etc?

rtypec 08-22-2006 04:08 PM

Here are some pics that I posted in another thread:

In regards to tires, mini inferno crime fighters fit well if you remove two rows of pins. A lot of the tires that we used on our Frogs were custom cut 1/10th scale tires.

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5

mini master 08-22-2006 08:30 PM

rod what springs are u using :sweat:

rtypec 08-22-2006 10:30 PM

I posted this in another thread so here's the recipe for the little Froggy.

What I did was the following:

Shocks
I used old TRF shock shafts (the ones that are a bit longer). I then took a two hole piston and drilled the holes out to 1mm. I then drilled two 0.5mm pilot holes perpendicular to the two existing holes. I drilled those out with a 1mm drill bit. I used the new 1mm down spring retainers. I also reamed out a bunch of those plastic shock rings you find on the Vparts tree to fit on top and bottom of the spring (prevents spring from popping off). I used Losi Mini LST springs (white). 400 weight front and 500 weight rear for oil.

Shock Mounts
I threaded 3x12mm droop screws into the existing holes. Added a 3mm spacer so that shocks can clear body and suspension. Top them with aluminum ball stud.

Front Axle
I cut the drive axle ears off to prevent anything getting caught in there.

Front Chassis
I dremeled a section of the chassis where the front suspension hits in order to get a little bit more up travel.

Tires
Fronts had stock sidewalls with a center section of Proline Bowties. No insert.
Rears were Losi IFMAR Pins cut and sectioned to fit Tamiya Wheel. Insert was foam from the Dark Impact (? DJ made the tires so I'm not sure). The rear tires Jimmy used were Crime Fighters for the Mini Inferno with two rows cut out and Trinity Soft (white) Inserts for the RC18. Cut Square Fuzzies were for doing hyper-donughts and were no good when the track dried out.

Camber
Rear 4 degrees
Front 1.5 degrees

Toe
Front about 1 dgree toe out
Rear is stock

I think that pretty much covers it. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you out with.

AWK 08-23-2006 04:00 PM

Hey i was wondering what electronics you were using in your Frog? Mamba 6800 or 8000? What receiver and servo did you put in? Could you tell me what old TRF shocks those shafts came with?

forum fodder 08-23-2006 04:40 PM

So does thins mean all the options for rear tyres are cut and shuts? I am assuming someone will start bringing out tyres to either fit the tamiya wheels, of wheel tyre combo's that fit the car. Well i hope so amyway

rtypec 08-23-2006 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by CarKing
Hey i was wondering what electronics you were using in your Frog? Mamba 6800 or 8000? What receiver and servo did you put in? Could you tell me what old TRF shocks those shafts came with?

Electronics were stock servo and Futaba receiver. The Speedo is a Quark 33A Universal (although a Pro-Car version is available, all I could use was the Universal and it is saaamooooth) Motor is an 8000KV with a 12T pinion. As for which TRF shock kit the shock shafts came from, I'm not sure...but it was from one of the older kits (pre TA04 perhaps?).

As for tires...yeah, it is kind of a bummer that there are no tire options available but atleast the Crime Fighters were easy to cut and glue (read VERY easy). I certainly hope aftermarket support for this car picks up because it is a very capable chassis.

forum fodder 08-24-2006 05:53 AM

There are enough other parts being made for them by 3racing, hopefully some tyres will appear soon.

I would have thought the 8000KV would be a bit rapid, almost too fast for the GB01.

Obviously the TRF shocks have a larger volume, but are they that much better over the GB01 hop up shocks?

larrio 08-24-2006 11:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Some pictures from the event. The motors are a bit too powerful for the cars, but throttle modulation with a good driver makes up for it.

They were getting very finicky on the straights with both front wheels almost in the air

MrBlack 08-25-2006 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We make the following that all drop in no need to change out any of the electronics:

over gear 08-25-2006 03:05 PM

rtypec: can u explain how you cut and glue the Crime Fighters?

AWK 08-25-2006 03:57 PM

Hey Cliff, is that the same motor you had in your Frog? How did it run on the Tamiya track? After seeing the unlimited ones run at Nats, I am looking to get some power into these little Frogs. And the motor works WITH the stock ESC???? Wow thats impressive. No over heating issues?

Also, how do the batteries compare to the IB1400 and Reedy 1200s?

rtypec 08-25-2006 04:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by over gear
rtypec: can u explain how you cut and glue the Crime Fighters?

See the attached images. I cut two rows of pins. I hope this helps.

over gear 08-26-2006 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by rtypec
See the attached images. I cut two rows of pins. I hope this helps.

whoa! that's easy? :eek:

AWK 08-26-2006 06:17 PM

What batteries are you guys using for these cars? I am gonna get the Orion Baja as Cliff suggested (after seeing his run), and wondering what batteries. IB1400, Orion GP1300, Reedy 1200........?

AWK 08-26-2006 06:41 PM

Also wanted to ask what changes in the suspension mounting positions in an off road car do to the handling? I have a 415MSX and I know how the changes will affect that, but what about in terms of jumps and steering in the dirt?

MrBlack 08-29-2006 08:08 AM

Hello CarKing,

I use the stock ESC which is awesome considering it can handle up to 60Amps. It also has a low voltage cut-off at about 5.4V which makes it ideal to use with Li-Po. I run the Baja motor and it is more then enough for the track tamiya have allowing it to clear the table top with ease. I have run it several times now with both Ni-MH and Li-Po and it does not have ny issues with over heating what so ever.

Jimmy Jacobson Used the Peak Raider which is identical to the Baja to win the Tamtech race.

For batteries I am using the Orion 1300GP's (ORI13042) with Micro Bones battery bars. We also have matched 1300 cells (ORI13043), this is also what Jimmy J. used to win the TCS Tamatech Race.

I have just tested the Team Orion Avionics 730mAh Li-Po's and they give even more power however you need to re-adjust your suspension or add weight to the car as it becomes too light and the car bounces around too much. The Lipo cells weigh about as much as 2.5 1300 cells but I think it gives you an advantage as it allows you to tune in where the weight goes allowing you to adjust your CG. I will be doing more and more testing over the next couple of weeks to possibly develop more product for this vehicle and other Micro vehicles as well.

Savage03 08-30-2006 01:28 PM

Hi
I have one of these also, for street driving the hpi mini tires are a direct fit and you can run a pair in the front with stock rear rims.
On cutting tires, will any of the mini inferno tires work with cutting? These look interesting
http://cgi.ebay.com/GPM-Front-or-Rea...QQcmdZViewItem

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g/4c033c4d.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g/bc2aa0b5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...t/0ebbeedc.jpg

MrBlack 08-30-2006 01:54 PM

I know what R-Type is buying next!

forum fodder 08-30-2006 03:04 PM

What pinion are you using with your mamba motor? I just got a mamba to find i need 2mm bore pinions. I am getting my mini hornet at the weekend and i am not sure what pitch pinions the mini hornet uses and also if they are available in 2mm?