R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Micro and Mini Scales (https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales-115/)
-   -   Tamiya TamTech Series GB-01 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales/124714-tamiya-tamtech-series-gb-01-a.html)

NitroChef tC3 12-05-2010 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon (Post 8299711)
The stock e-revo motor is a 380 and I don't think it will fit.

Ooops,, good thing it's only $1. Lol

NitroChef tC3 12-11-2010 07:45 PM

Just got done reading this thread from page 1.. Think I've learned alot.. Now can't wait till Christmas so I can open my frog, even though it's sitting in my closet..I won that 380 motor so I will see if it works.. Think I'm gonna go with this http://www.hobbypartz.com/hobbywing-...ess-combo.html so thanks for the link...

bad andy 12-11-2010 07:54 PM

Nice, you'll have fun Chef. I do recommend the 7000kv comba at hobbypartz. It absolutely rips!

NitroChef tC3 12-12-2010 06:18 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/VENOM-1320-FIREB...item3f0293ba9f

anyone know if this is a decent motor for the frog..? so many choices out there...

1967Typhoon 12-13-2010 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by NitroChef tC3 (Post 8334026)
http://cgi.ebay.com/VENOM-1320-FIREB...item3f0293ba9f

anyone know if this is a decent motor for the frog..? so many choices out there...

I've heard those get hot and burn out quickly. I also heard they aren't all that fast.

Here is a great budget brushed motor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Team-Associated-...item35ae087ec5

EDIT - for posterity it is a Team Associated Super 370

XJohnnyRingoX 12-13-2010 01:38 PM

The EZ Run brushless set up works great! I use it with the stock battery and it rips! The ESC set up was a little confusing, but cool to use once I figured it out. It has lots of features. The brushless motor and ESC were like $38. You cant beat that. Some minor tweaking here and there. Im kind of a noob and was able to figure it out.
Now I need to figure out how to make it turn better on pavement. Any suggestions?

gettinbrushless 12-26-2010 10:42 AM

I just got my new tamtech this is the second one Ive owned I sold my first one a while ago, And as far as the diff goes the only upgrade is the outdrives??? I wish there was a aftermarket diff availible??? And who has the most hop ups in stock???

bad andy 12-26-2010 07:07 PM

the only diff upgrade I'm aware of are the outdrives. The diff itself is very good and doesn't need upgrading, providing it is set up correctly.
As for other upgrades, ebay has loads ;) If you want to go to direct retailers; rcmart, and vellrip tend to have a bunch in stock generally.

THE H.P FREAK 12-26-2010 07:16 PM

HI!... I find the stock plastic diffs are junk. I switched to a brushless set-up with lipo and the diff lasts about one battery charge and is history. I've tried every set-up possible. It either melts or slips terrible that the car barely moves. Someone needs to make a spool for this thing or a diff gear made of steel. I thought I read on another forum that there was a company in Japan that was making aluminum/steel diff gears for it?

BTW : Can someone post a link to a set of 12mm wheel adapters for these Tamtechs? Everytime I go to RCMart they say the 3Racing ones are out of stock for the last 2 years......

gettinbrushless 12-27-2010 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by THE H.P FREAK (Post 8394066)
HI!... I find the stock plastic diffs are junk. I switched to a brushless set-up with lipo and the diff lasts about one battery charge and is history. I've tried every set-up possible. It either melts or slips terrible that the car barely moves. Someone needs to make a spool for this thing or a diff gear made of steel. I thought I read on another forum that there was a company in Japan that was making aluminum/steel diff gears for it?

BTW : Can someone post a link to a set of 12mm wheel adapters for these Tamtechs? Everytime I go to RCMart they say the 3Racing ones are out of stock for the last 2 years......

yeah just go to thetoyz.com and put eather tamtech frog or the frog in the search bar and it will pull up the DP 12mm derlin wheel adapters, and there cheap!!! as far as the diff i know its a problem!! i mean if u stay brushed i can see it holding up?? But i dont see how all these guys are making theres hold up?? I was running a 5400kv in my old tamtech and i had the same problem as u with the diff?? And i just cant believe 3racing or someone doesnt hv a nice aftermarket ball diff or nice steel diff??? i already have the tamiya alum outdrives and ill b picking up my wild boar tomorrow!! And im just gonna run the associated brushed motor but i would love to go brushless!! i just dont feel like buying new diffs all the time!! I wish i could design some of my own parts!!! It just really kills me that there isnt some kind of hop diff for it yet??? I mean its not like the tamtechs just came out!!!!!

THE H.P FREAK 12-27-2010 04:33 AM

HI!... Thanks for the Info. I just ordered 3 sets. I'm going to try to fab up something custom with the diff. I'll post results when it's done.

JatoTheRipper 12-27-2010 07:04 AM

I don't see how you guys are getting these things to handle with all that power. Mine pushes like a snow plow with the red endbell Tamiya motor which is very mild.

gettinbrushless 12-27-2010 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by THE H.P FREAK (Post 8395189)
HI!... Thanks for the Info. I just ordered 3 sets. I'm going to try to fab up something custom with the diff. I'll post results when it's done.

Cool!! If u can figure out something?? That would b great!!! Take care!!

NitroChef tC3 12-28-2010 08:10 PM

Pinion ???

I got my frog for Christmas and noticed it comes with some extra pinion gears... Do I want to use the smaller tooth count or larger for top end.??? Thanks..

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/...f/a9ec96ee.jpg

gettinbrushless 12-28-2010 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by NitroChef tC3 (Post 8403449)
I got my frog for Christmas and noticed it comes with some extra pinion gears... Do I want to use the smaller tooth count or larger for top end.??? Thanks..

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/...f/a9ec96ee.jpg

the bigger u go more top end, smaller more punch out of the hole but less top end. hope this helps!!

NitroChef tC3 01-02-2011 10:49 PM

I just put a titain 380 in my frog and man this thing gets hot... Quick.. I dont have much exp with electric but none of my other motors get this hot.. The esc has not cut the motor off yet but I've only run it around my living room.. What temp should these little guys be running.. Any ideas on how to cool it... Thanks

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/...f/6a89cd06.jpg

izzyracer 01-03-2011 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by NitroChef tC3 (Post 8426851)
I just put a titain 380 in my frog and man this thing gets hot... Quick.. I dont have much exp with electric but none of my other motors get this hot.. The esc has not cut the motor off yet but I've only run it around my living room.. What temp should these little guys be running.. Any ideas on how to cool it... Thanks

If it's super hot like you can't hold it for a second then your either overgeared or something is binding. Make sure your drivetrain is free when you role it without a motor. Other than that try lowering your pinion gear. They are hotter than brushless but if you can keep your finger for 2 - 3 seconds after a 5 minute run... your good. You might think running around the living room is less strain for your motor but due to low speed and constant slow, fast, brake movement can cause a hotter motor.

NitroChef tC3 01-03-2011 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by izzyracer (Post 8427776)
If it's super hot like you can't hold it for a second then your either overgeared or something is binding. Make sure your drivetrain is free when you role it without a motor. Other than that try lowering your pinion gear. They are hotter than brushless but if you can keep your finger for 2 - 3 seconds after a 5 minute run... your good. You might think running around the living room is less strain for your motor but due to low speed and constant slow, fast, brake movement can cause a hotter motor.

Thanks for the info,, I'm about to take it to where I bash at to see ifit still gets that hot..

gettinbrushless 01-03-2011 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by THE H.P FREAK (Post 8395189)

Hey, Why couldnt you just put bigger diff balls in the diff?? Just drill out the holes to the right size and put some carbon diff balls in it?? Just a idea??? Let me know as soon as you come up with something????:tire::confused:

bad andy 01-03-2011 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by NitroChef tC3 (Post 8426851)

WOW! That motor is monstrous in there! You know, Izzy's right, I believe a motor runs best and most efficiently when it's wide open. It does heat up significantly when running mid-throttle. That being said, if you want to upgrade the performance and not go too crazy, get one of these: Graupner Speed 300 (6v version) http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed300.htm

NitroChef tC3 01-03-2011 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by bad andy (Post 8429526)
WOW! That motor is monstrous in there! You know, Izzy's right, I believe a motor runs best and most efficiently when it's wide open. It does heat up significantly when running mid-throttle. That being said, if you want to upgrade the performance and not go too crazy, get one of these: Graupner Speed 300 (6v version) http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed300.htm

Thanks for the link.. Yea the 380 is a little big.. I bought it on eBay and thought it was a 370... Its not pretty but it works.. I took it to my bashing spot today and man this little guy is fun now that it's got a little scoot.. As far as the heat issue you guys are right, running it wide open and it never got "hot".. Can't wait to run on the local indoor..

kirbenvost 01-10-2011 10:25 PM

Hey guys... I just got a used Mini Fox, I'm completely new to hobby RC and this is my first car. I think I'm having problems with my differential, the car slips a lot off the start, and pretty much any time I give it full throttle. I've tried tightening down the slipper all the way and it doesn't really help, that's why I think it's the differential.

It's running a Graupner Speed 300 6V and I have the 18T in there right now. Started with the 16T, went down to the smallest one, and back up to the 18T. Not much hill climbing power with any of them, and I'm just running it in a parking garage so far.

Anyway, my question is, how do I actually tighten the differential? I've got the whole transmission apart but I can't figure out how to dismantle or even adjust the differential itself. Tried looking for a manual online but no luck, the GB-01 chassis manual only shows the differential as a unit. Any help is appreciated.

izzyracer 01-10-2011 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by kirbenvost (Post 8468520)
Anyway, my question is, how do I actually tighten the differential? I've got the whole transmission apart but I can't figure out how to dismantle or even adjust the differential itself. Tried looking for a manual online but no luck, the GB-01 chassis manual only shows the differential as a unit. Any help is appreciated.

It should be a ball diff assembly, you should see the screw head on one side. You loosen or tighten that screw by holding on to the other side while you turn the screw.

kirbenvost 01-11-2011 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by izzyracer (Post 8468647)
It should be a ball diff assembly, you should see the screw head on one side. You loosen or tighten that screw by holding on to the other side while you turn the screw.

Got it, thanks. Couldn't see that it was a small allen/hex key inside - with poor lighting it just looked like a round head.

So now I've got the two halves apart, and the one side with the rounded nub seems to be split, almost like the cap is coming off, and I can see a spring and washer inside. Either split, or partially fused together if the parts are supposed to be separate. Time for a new diff?

I'm going to order the aluminum one anyway, but if I can still salvage this one temporarily, I will. When I reassemble, can I just use regular Tamiya grease, or does it have to be AW grease?

Edit: Nevermind, looks like I answered my question about needing a new diff. There it went, snapped right in half. :( Looks like my buggy's out of service for awhile.

kirbenvost 01-19-2011 11:12 AM

Hey guys, sorry for the double post, but I have another question.

Do Dean's plugs for the battery connector make a noticable difference in performance if I'm just using regular NiMH packs for a brushed motor?

bad andy 01-22-2011 08:47 PM

thought you guys might like to see my latest finished tamtech... a GB01 Frog. I posted it here in my showroom at TC : http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...05802&id=19676

kirbenvost 01-23-2011 11:12 AM

Wow, looks great! I especially love the painted wheels with the pink wheel bolts, looks really cool.

bad andy 01-24-2011 10:25 AM

thanks. 8)

I also got pics of my hornet up recently... just one more buggy and my TTG Team is done-

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...05827&id=19676

kirbenvost 01-24-2011 11:18 AM

Wow, another amazing one! The smoke colored body is an interesting idea. Did the rear tires require any modification to fit the rims?

bad andy 01-24-2011 07:04 PM

No mods. The are a perfect fit. They're from the old Kyosho 14x series. I think they had an optima 14x and something called a skybomber or skyhook 14x or somethng

NitroChef tC3 01-24-2011 07:21 PM

sweeeeet :D

kirbenvost 02-04-2011 01:46 PM

Just thought I'd update, I got my aluminum diff halves and installed them. With it tightened to 1/4 turn less than tight and the slipper the same, the car is way faster than before. Pretty awesome. I guess there was a lot of slip in the diff before.

Now I need to glue my Buggy Champ tires and eventually convert the suspension so I can fit the Champ body as well.

Anybody know what's the best setting for the supsension in regards to which mounting holes to use for the dampers? I put mine in the innermost holes in the hopes it would improve ride height, but I wonder if that will affect performance negatively.

NitroChef tC3 02-15-2011 02:32 PM

Esc ???

Whats up guys?? Quick question,,, if i buy a Hobbywing ez run 18a esc.. what is the largest brushless i could run with it...
this is going on a frog.. thanks:p

ohlott 02-25-2011 08:56 PM

I run the ezrun combo 7800kv and it fly's...I want it to go faster going to try lipo 3s. I run it mostly on street.
I have a servo problem on one of mine....Is there another front server that fits in there that is not a tamiya?
Hey Izzy can anyone go the the tamiya track?

bad andy 03-09-2011 07:29 PM

Hey guys, just wanted to post up that I've finally found a 3S lipo that fits the Tamtech battery compartment. And it's cheap! and in the US!

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/3_cell_11...64078_prd1.htm

I tried it out this evening (EZrun 7000kv) and the speed is pretty ludicrous. Stupid actually. I don't know how "usuable" it is but it's cool to pull wheelies when you're already moving about 25mph and only giving half throttle. :)

kirbenvost 03-10-2011 07:40 AM

Sounds nuts. Nice cheap LiPo though.

I have not personally tried any other servos in the Tamtechs yet, but take a look at some of the 9G ones on Hobbypartz.com. They will likely fit and are very affordable, but I don't know how strong they will be since they are meant for use in RC planes.

bad andy 03-10-2011 08:59 PM

I've used a Hitec HS85MG in one of my tamtechs. It's a good fit, but the mounting ears need to be shaved down a bit to drop into the chassis. The Tamiya servo is a custom size, and the ears on it are very small.

herK 05-13-2011 08:25 AM

Wow I need those lights!

Anybody knows how can i get similar? Thanks

Originally Posted by bad andy (Post 8538464)
thanks. 8)

I also got pics of my hornet up recently... just one more buggy and my TTG Team is done-

tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=105827&id=19676

herK 05-13-2011 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by bad andy (Post 8538464)
thanks. 8)

WOW i need similar lights on my Frog. Can u give me some hint where can i buy similar lights like that? Thanks

herK 05-13-2011 10:02 AM

Wow bad andy i need somekind of lights too for my Frog! Can u give me any hints where can i get those?

Thanks