Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree11Likes

Losi Mini LMT 1/18

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 01:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MULMZ2
The SCX24 and all the other recent Losi products I've had first hand experience with are like a boat, constantly throwing money at them to make them work properly and to keep them running, it's depressing,
uhhh... welcome to having a hobby?... it's been that way for at least 30 years. and no doubt was that way before my involvement. i think you're looking at it wrong. they're giving you a blank canvas and then you paint the picture and hang it on the wall. you seem to want the picture in the box, just hang it on the wall. everyone uses these cars differently, you have to modify it to make it work the way you want it to work. not all of us care about suspension slop as long as the car drives straight and doesn't break during a crash landing
tyreguy likes this.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by El_Rando
uhhh... welcome to having a hobby?... it's been that way for at least 30 years. and no doubt was that way before my involvement. i think you're looking at it wrong. they're giving you a blank canvas and then you paint the picture and hang it on the wall. you seem to want the picture in the box, just hang it on the wall. everyone uses these cars differently, you have to modify it to make it work the way you want it to work. not all of us care about suspension slop as long as the car drives straight and doesn't break during a crash landing
I've been in and out of RC all of my life, I've raced, I've bashed, I've worked in a hobby shop, so I have a very clear understanding about the involvement and investment that can be made into the hobby. I am not looking at it wrong and if Losi was giving me a blank canvas then that canvas would have been released as a kit not a $270 RTR, which at that price should need zero upgrades or mods, but it will, I promise, it's a Losi/Horizon product. RTR's especially at that price should not have suspect electronics or parts, but like all Horizon/Losi products it will.

Most RTR's these days are a "picture in the box", most RTR's do not in any way need hop ups or upgrades to make them work as they should out of the box and some of them are cheaper than the 1/18th Losi LMT. Here are some examples of RTR's that need zero upgrades and can be ran for hours if not years without spending a dime on upgrades and/or hop ups unless one chooses to do so, Traxxas Slash, MT10, MT12, everything sold by LC Racing and Traxxas for that matter, the Kyosho Mini-Z, and I'm sure others can name more, any of them made by Losi/Horizon, doubt it.

Tekno's do not need upgrades or hop ups. We are at a point in the hobby that no kit or RTR should need hop ups or upgrades of any kind for it to be a solid runner out of the box and most don't if they are being used as intended. In most cases it's the end user that decides to upgrade and a lot of the time those upgrades are not necessary.

The fact is and it's very well documented if you read through threads related to Losi/Horizon products, their RTR releases need a lot of money thrown at them to make them work properly and again if it were a blank canvas it would have been sold as a kit so that I could chose my electronics, body color(s), wheels, etc.

I did not bring my Mini Monster build into the conversation to use as a comparison to the 1/18th LMT, I brought it into the conversation to show that one does not have to spend $270 to Monster Jam, one can Monster Jam for the low low price of $149.99 if they buy an FMS.

Last edited by MULMZ2; 11-15-2023 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2023, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MULMZ2
I've been in and out of RC all of my life, I've raced, I've bashed, I've worked in a hobby shop, so I have a very clear understanding about the involvement and investment that can be made into the hobby. I am not looking at it wrong and if Losi was giving me a blank canvas then that canvas would have been released as a kit not a $270 RTR, which at that price should need zero upgrades or mods, but it will, I promise, it's a Losi/Horizon product. RTR's especially at that price should not have suspect electronics or parts, but like all Horizon/Losi products it will.

Most RTR's these days are a "picture in the box", most RTR's do not in any way need hop ups or upgrades to make them work as they should out of the box and some of them are cheaper than the 1/18th Losi LMT. Here are some examples of RTR's that need zero upgrades and can be ran for hours if not years without spending a dime on upgrades and/or hop ups unless one chooses to do so, Traxxas Slash, MT10, MT12, everything sold by LC Racing and Traxxas for that matter, the Kyosho Mini-Z, and I'm sure others can name more, any of them made by Losi/Horizon, doubt it.

Tekno's do not need upgrades or hop ups. We are at a point in the hobby that no kit or RTR should need hop ups or upgrades of any kind for it to be a solid runner out of the box and most don't if they are being used as intended. In most cases it's the end user that decides to upgrade and a lot of the time those upgrades are not necessary.

The fact is and it's very well documented if you read through threads related to Losi/Horizon products, their RTR releases need a lot of money thrown at them to make them work properly and again if it were a blank canvas it would have been sold as a kit so that I could chose my electronics, body color(s), wheels, etc.

I did not bring my Mini Monster build into the conversation to use as a comparison to the 1/18th LMT, I brought it into the conversation to show that one does not have to spend $270 to Monster Jam, one can Monster Jam for the low low price of $149.99 if they buy an FMS.
Tekno vehicles definitely need upgrades out of the box.. for example the 10th scale vehicles all need atleast the aluminum shock caps. The EB and ET 410.2's commonly break the rear hubs because the material is so thin to allow for the axle height adjustment pill. Bellcranks and Ackerman plate are also weak points that will end a race day.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Well, I got my hands on one, finally. It’s a pretty cool little machine, I really appreciate Losi’s dedication to keeping it as close to a scaled down 10th LMT as possible. It’s pretty quick for what it is, and the perfect size to run indoors and outdoors on medium to light terrain. Here it is next to my LD3 for a size comparison

Old 02-03-2024, 01:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey guys, Has anyone found any other batteries that fit the mini LMT trucks besides the stock spektrum ones?
Old 02-05-2024, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

What are you guys replacing on these trucks? Stock servo looks weak, shocks are plastic body/thread/caps… only things I’ve spotted so far. Picking mine up later today
Old 02-05-2024, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Such a cool truck. Way smaller than my 1/10.
El_Rando likes this.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by savage24x
What are you guys replacing on these trucks? Stock servo looks weak, shocks are plastic body/thread/caps… only things I’ve spotted so far. Picking mine up later today
I actually thought the stock servo was fantastic. The stock servo saver is very soft, which is likely a good thing as hasn't seemed to affect my ability to drive the truck how I want. Stock shocks feel great actually, however, I feel like they need to be softer so the suspension actually rebounds rather than it bouncing on its tires.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NorthCentral RC
Hey guys, Has anyone found any other batteries that fit the mini LMT trucks besides the stock spektrum ones?
I have a couple older Venom 2S packs that fit. They're a smidge too long, but since it uses the little rubber straps they can still be secured in place. Their also much larger at 1300mah. I doubt their still available as Venom went out of business a bit ago, but their part # is 25005. There are undoubtably options that fit better, but these just happen to be ones I had that work.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NorthCentral RC
https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...41-22/p1421158
Old 03-17-2024, 02:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

so whats going on with these? they popular? are people actually using them? any known weaknesses? assuming no word on a brushless version yet