R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > Company/Manufacturer Forums > MaxAmps Support Forum

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stockton, Ca
Posts: 1,480
Default PUFFED PACK

Jason, Austin or any other MA staff: Amazing enough this is not a complaint post! I have a 3s 11.1 5250 and I run it in a VXL Pede geared 22/86 for crazy speed. I've had the pack for almost a year(maybe longer since I got it when Josh worked there) so honestly I can say I've used it probably 30 times and am fairly certain the warranty expired. After I drive it and recharge w/EOSO606i the pack swells. Could this swelling be caused from the gearing I'm using? Thanks!
Eric
bowl806 is offline  
Old 08-31-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Neu_Racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 4,012
Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)
Default

I don't think 22/86 is that obscene of a ratio and I think most if not all their packs are rated to be able to handle any amount of power a Pede could draw so in my "un"professional opinion that wouldn't be it. But 30 cycles in more than a year is not that much really and they suggest if storing for more than a week I think to keep it around 60% charge to keep that from happening. If you let it sit for weeks/months without cycling that is probably the culprit.

But they do offer a 3 year warranty so if you're the original purchaser and picked that up (they offer it free now!) you should be able to get a new pack at a nice discount.
Neu_Racer is offline  
Old 08-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stockton, Ca
Posts: 1,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neu_Racer View Post
I don't think 22/86 is that obscene of a ratio and I think most if not all their packs are rated to be able to handle any amount of power a Pede could draw so in my "un"professional opinion that wouldn't be it. But 30 cycles in more than a year is not that much really and they suggest if storing for more than a week I think to keep it around 60% charge to keep that from happening. If you let it sit for weeks/months without cycling that is probably the culprit.

But they do offer a 3 year warranty so if you're the original purchaser and picked that up (they offer it free now!) you should be able to get a new pack at a nice discount.
With all the chat between you and me via the Christian page and Elec off road it seems like we've become "friends" via the Internet. Maybe so with keeping it 60% charged when I don't run it might help but I think it's too late now. I run it all the way down till it slows (noticably) and let it sit till the next time. When I drive my VXL Slash w/2s 5250 or my MMPro 4600 Slash=no problem but like I said, that is w/2s. This is the 2nd time I've had an issue w/3s so I'm wondering about the gearing? I'm sure Austin or Jason will set me right and I'm still going to support Max Amps. Thanks!
bowl806 is offline  
Old 09-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stockton, Ca
Posts: 1,480
Default Discharge pack

Ok I discharged my 3s 5250 pack w/EOSO606i due to it was getting swollen and I feared for the life of my VXL Pede; it reads 9.3v and the buzzer for not enough charge to balance makes noise. Do I need to continue to discharge w/auto bulb or is it just about done? Next time I'll gear it 26/86 and hope this doesn't happen anymore.Thanks!
bowl806 is offline  
Old 09-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Neu_Racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 4,012
Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowl806 View Post
Ok I discharged my 3s 5250 pack w/EOSO606i due to it was getting swollen and I feared for the life of my VXL Pede; it reads 9.3v and the buzzer for not enough charge to balance makes noise. Do I need to continue to discharge w/auto bulb or is it just about done? Next time I'll gear it 26/86 and hope this doesn't happen anymore.Thanks!
26/86 will draw even more juice than 22/86 but again, the pack should not have a problem handling the draw a Pede will have regardless of gearing. I dont' think that's your issue.
9.3v is above 3v/cell so unless one is severely out of balance that also shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure you'll get some advice here.
Neu_Racer is offline  
Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stockton, Ca
Posts: 1,480
Default

Thanks NeuRacer! sent you a pm so any input you have will be most appreciated. Also waiting for MA to reply.
bowl806 is offline  
Old 09-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
Tech Master
 
JAM MaxAmps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nine Mile Falls, WA
Posts: 1,061
Default

I haven't replied to this thread because we have discussed this over the phone already.

have a great holiday weekend guys,

jason
__________________
Jason
CMO
[email protected]
www.NitroKillers.com www.MaxAmps.com Caster Driver
JAM MaxAmps is offline  
Old 09-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stockton, Ca
Posts: 1,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps View Post
I haven't replied to this thread because we have discussed this over the phone already.

have a great holiday weekend guys,

jason
Yeah and I'm old, retired, and Left handed lol! Not a problem hey, I discharged to 3.1v per cell and will get a 1157 when I'm out and about. Thanks for the help and Enjoy your weekend!
bowl806 is offline  
Old 10-21-2010, 05:45 AM   #9
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 159
Default Vote with your money!!

My max amps pack puffed too. 3S 5250 11.1v

I only used it in my my bandit VXl about 30 times too.

I was not negligent with gearing...Its happened twice to me now...

My mate who has been in hobbies for 20 years has had max amps puff too..

What sort of customer service makes you purchase a warranty...and only gives you discount on new packs that will give you more trouble...

I vote with my money by never buying max amps ever ever ever again!!!

They make out the problem is you....I would accept that...but when you see guys that have been in hobbies for 20 years have the same problems...its not a user error..

They did not return my pack, all they said was I will give you a discount a new pack..

Fool me once..shame on you...
Fool me twice..shame on me...

I bought 2 packs at the same time...they wont fool me again...
george_georgoul is offline  
Old 10-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ardmore oklahoma
Posts: 495
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to lordraptor1 Send a message via Yahoo to lordraptor1
Default

well i am going to look at it this way i personally have never used a max amps lipo (wouldnt mind trying one though) however i will comment on my opinion the casue being the velineon itself, i had a vxl pede that smoked the motor and a phase on teh esc in only 2 weeks running matched Ni-Mh packs adn on stock factory gearing, the batts got extremely hot with the velineon. i have been through 3 velineon systems and i wont use another one. every one has caused batts to run hot motors to be glitchy, and just not give the performance i expected and traxxas support was the worste basically being told that the traxxas warranty requires 20.00 for warranty replacement (i call BS on that) and even being hung up on by traxxas customer service and support. i would personally try seeing if the pack puffs on another system, also if teh pack is not hard cased i would like to know have you ever flipped the truck? wrecked it? run into a curb?, etc? lipos that are not hardcased will be more inclined to damage from just being in a rollover than a hardcased one IMHO.

now ijust need to find myslef of 2s/3s lipos i can get donated to me
__________________
my personal rc forum:
http://rchobbies.freeforums.org/index.php?sid=945697278845817e5d57cc89dfe433f5
lordraptor1 is offline  
Old 10-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 159
Default

Not the Velion System at all..I bought a venom pack and it did not puff...I bought a spc pack and it did not puff...

I race down the park with 5 other guys... They are old guys and been into hobbies for about 20yrs or so...

They dont use velions, they use high end cars, they all tried max amps and had them puff after about 30 runs mind you...Its the batteries not the system..They know how to care about lipos too...


I dont want to recomend another brand but I will condemn max amps forever because they are overpriced....and junk...

If max amps was really cheap and they wrecked i would not get upset, But i spent an absolute fortune on buying rubbish...I felt humiliated and stupid..
george_georgoul is offline  
Old 10-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #12
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ardmore oklahoma
Posts: 495
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to lordraptor1 Send a message via Yahoo to lordraptor1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_georgoul View Post
They dont use velions, they use high end cars

i know that i try to avoid traxxas at all costs, overpriced garbage. i would rather have a revo clone from china than an actual traxxas branded one
__________________
my personal rc forum:
http://rchobbies.freeforums.org/index.php?sid=945697278845817e5d57cc89dfe433f5
lordraptor1 is offline  
Old 10-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #13
Tech Regular
 
valleyraceway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 353
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

TRIED TO REACH THEM FOR SOME LIPOS THROUGH EMAIL WITH NO RESPONCE MAYBE THEY ARE BUSY
valleyraceway is offline  
Old 10-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
Tech Adept
 
Tim Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wildomar Ca.
Posts: 236
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Smith
Default

You should just call them or go to their web site and use the online live help.

Available 7 days a week
888-654-4450

The Live Chat feature is in the upper right hand corner of the home page.
www.MaxAmps.com
__________________
TimSmithRacing.com MaxAmps.com MKS Servos CowRC TSRspeedshopRCpodcast Evul Empire Dan's RC Stuff
Tim Smith is offline  
Old 10-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #15
Tech Champion
 
nexxus's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 8,104
Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordraptor1 View Post
well i am going to look at it this way i personally have never used a max amps lipo (wouldnt mind trying one though) however i will comment on my opinion the casue being the velineon itself, i had a vxl pede that smoked the motor and a phase on teh esc in only 2 weeks running matched Ni-Mh packs adn on stock factory gearing, the batts got extremely hot with the velineon. i have been through 3 velineon systems and i wont use another one. every one has caused batts to run hot motors to be glitchy, and just not give the performance i expected and traxxas support was the worste basically being told that the traxxas warranty requires 20.00 for warranty replacement (i call BS on that) and even being hung up on by traxxas customer service and support. i would personally try seeing if the pack puffs on another system, also if teh pack is not hard cased i would like to know have you ever flipped the truck? wrecked it? run into a curb?, etc? lipos that are not hardcased will be more inclined to damage from just being in a rollover than a hardcased one IMHO.

now ijust need to find myslef of 2s/3s lipos i can get donated to me
Of course that packs get hot, you're trying to run a sports car on pump gas!
__________________
A800 / A800X Awesomatix

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

nexxus is offline  
 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack. Danny/SMC Electric On-Road 1022 03-10-2010 08:56 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:14 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net