Wiki Posts
Search

PUFFED PACK

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
Of course that packs get hot, you're trying to run a sports car on pump gas!

funny you should say that because it is wrong if your statement is correct then everyone using NiMh batts with a velineon system would have similar results correct? well this has not been the case as far as i have seen i know of 5 people running 6 cell 3000 Mah Stick packs with this system and their batts dont get as hot as mine did (and teh velineon is suppose to work with 4 to 9 NiMh batts or 2s /3s lipos. i concluded the issue was from factory gearing which (according to the manual) was not even the factory stock gearing so in a sense the fault was on traxxas poor quality control.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lordraptor1
funny you should say that because it is wrong if your statement is correct then everyone using NiMh batts with a velineon system would have similar results correct? well this has not been the case as far as i have seen i know of 5 people running 6 cell 3000 Mah Stick packs with this system and their batts dont get as hot as mine did (and teh velineon is suppose to work with 4 to 9 NiMh batts or 2s /3s lipos. i concluded the issue was from factory gearing which (according to the manual) was not even the factory stock gearing so in a sense the fault was on traxxas poor quality control.
Perhaps the store had altered the gearing or used it as a demo?

I've had Lipos for 3-4 yrs now, I have had 2 Lipos fail, an Intellect IB3800 due to me getting the + and - leads the wrong way (puff of smoke and that was it, no fire, no flames) and a Maxamps 3s 5250 which 1/4 way into the first run just stopped, the leads hadn't been soldered on correctly. Cost of postage back to Maxamps was almost 1/4 of the pack price.

That said I have read many threads on Maxamps packs puffing, hopefully warranty will cover it, but do we know what cells these are? Hell they're claiming 150C packs now, so 5000 mah @150C?? Can a deans plug handle that?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've had Lipos for 3-4 yrs now, I have had 2 Lipos fail, an Intellect IB3800 due to me getting the + and - leads the wrong way (puff of smoke and that was it, no fire, no flames) and a Maxamps 3s 5250 which 1/4 way into the first run just stopped, the leads hadn't been soldered on correctly. Cost of postage back to Maxamps was almost 1/4 of the pack price.

That said I have read many threads on Maxamps packs puffing, hopefully warranty will cover it, but do we know what cells these are? Hell they're claiming 150C packs now, so 5000 mah @150C?? Can a deans plug handle that?
not likely. you see the hobby shop had to order it for me because they dont keep stampede vxl in stock.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

no matter what the gearing was it wont make a lipo puff unless it was below 15C.. heck i've used 3S 12C batteries in a VXL without issue.

as for knowing what they are.. they'r made in china.. all LIPO battery cells are made in china. any battery that says "made in USA" is a fraud and should actually read "assembled in USA".

as for a deans plug handling 150C, first youd have to have an ESC capable of drawing 150C , take a mamba monster or any other 150amp ESC. the maximum it can draw from a 5000mah battery is 32C, which is why running anything more than a 45C battery is a waist of money. the C rating is the amount of current it can discharge while safely staying below 140*F.

you could run 2x 150amp systems from a 5000mah 6S Lipo and it would still only draw 64C. which would still be within the limits of 10awg wire and deans/trx connectors.

cheers, eh!

remember where the cells are made when your paying the premium for domestic label lipos vs the regular priced Hong Kong ones.
they're ALL the same cells with different labels.. in some cases the old turnigy label(oops did i day that?) is still under the new label you just paid double for.