4x4sct on the rug sweet
Old 10-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kyoshodude01
4x4sct on the rug sweet
4/5 makes a class right? lets get some 4wd sct going then

is there a planned time to do setup?

Last edited by DMoe; 10-22-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

4x4SCTs are bigger and heavier with many edges on the chassis that can cause severe damage to the carpet and cement undernieth. Most do not run them out of respect for the carpet. Add to this the skill set of most beginning drivers in the 4x4SCT class and you have a potentially dangerious situation. That's a my take.

Keith.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

I agree with Keith on this one. 4x4 SCTs will destroy the carpet and might cause a few safety issues.

They haven't been run before(except the occasional 4x4 slash), why are we trying to push them now?
Old 10-23-2013, 04:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thay did run them last yr a coulple a times. AE Losi Traxxas.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

ok ive said this before ill say it again i CANNOT remember the last time i saw you mr. Whitrock at a saturday night race.....maybe you should dole out advise for the day you race please instead of discouraging possible new racers and members with uninformed babble.
keith i understand your concern and you know as well as the rest that we make sure every truck that comes through the door is safe to run on carpet.

that being said the door has been open since i can remember for a 4x4 class there has just never quite been the intrest, 4x4's can be difficult to control on carpet but we will never turn anyone away who wants to race at marcca. its a club its for fun for bowling trophies remember? we check every vehicle that comes in for not only for safety but compatability as well. if you have a 4x4 sct and it meets the clubs standards for safety but your the only one.... we dont send you home you can run with 2wd sct if it comes to that.
these are my opinions not those of marcca
spike
Old 10-23-2013, 05:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ijusttalk
ok ive said this before ill say it again i CANNOT remember the last time i saw you mr. Whitrock at a saturday night race.....maybe you should dole out advise for the day you race please instead of discouraging possible new racers and members with uninformed babble.
keith i understand your concern and you know as well as the rest that we make sure every truck that comes through the door is safe to run on carpet.

that being said the door has been open since i can remember for a 4x4 class there has just never quite been the intrest, 4x4's can be difficult to control on carpet but we will never turn anyone away who wants to race at marcca. its a club its for fun for bowling trophies remember? we check every vehicle that comes in for not only for safety but compatability as well. if you have a 4x4 sct and it meets the clubs standards for safety but your the only one.... we dont send you home you can run with 2wd sct if it comes to that.
these are my opinions not those of marcca
spike

I haven't raced offroad in a while, but I have raced on-road consistently.

Patching 20 holes in the carpet every sunday gets old real quick...
Old 10-23-2013, 06:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

And this is a 4x4 problem why ? I can count on one hand the number of 4x4 's through the door last year. 20....really? Well all I can say is stuff happens screws come loose trucks break . I personally do my very best to keep it to a minimum.

Spike
Old 10-23-2013, 06:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ijusttalk
And this is a 4x4 problem why ? I can count on one hand the number of 4x4 's through the door last year. 20....really? Well all I can say is stuff happens screws come loose trucks break . I personally do my very best to keep it to a minimum.

Spike
You do an awesome job at keeping holes to a minimum, and keeping the program running, and making it fun/interesting, and...

Most of the time it's where there wasn't a landing pad the night before. it only takes 1 truck with 1 loose screw, but **** happens.

The handful of 4x4 isn't an issue, but there could be if we start running them weekly. They tend to be driven aggressively, weigh more, and they are harder to control. They should be allowed, but encouraged to buy a 2wd to run instead.

2wds leave the track sometimes, a hit in the ankle/shin sucks and will bruise. A 6lb 4wd might break that ankle/shin.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

well safety of our marshalls are priority one and i assure you and the rest of the people not typing it up but screaming at their computers that every step will be taken to have a safe and productive and above all else fun fall and winter on the rug
Spike
Old 10-23-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RMKinWI
Here is the scoop with the Building on Index Road.

I spoke with Louie – he is willing to rent us the building for $1000 a month, utilities included. We can move in the last week of October.

His concerns are:
-Utilities – he wants us to keep the heat and lights to a minimum – turning them off when not in use. If they get out of control we will have to pay more rent.
-Sundays – the other tenant is a church and has service from 9-noon on Sundays – so we can’t be running the halls yelling and screaming.
-Full rent tenant – If a full rent tenant ($10,000 per month) comes along we have to move – he will give us as much notice as possible but he can’t promise. If he has another suitable space available we can move into it.
-Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking: he wants none of it.

Moving forward he instructed me to contact his son Leon to make the arrangements. I informed him I will need to get board/member approval to move forward, and thought that would take a week or so.

So – members and more importantly board members please respond or PM me with how you wish to proceed.

My Opinion: The building will work – is it perfect no, but it is better than nothing.

Pros:
- Size: Its big, more space than needed
- Rent: very reasonable
- Amenities: Bathrooms, Adequate Electricity, Good Lighting
- Landlord: seems very easy going and seems to understands who we are.

Cons:
- Access to space is a little bit of a maze, the space does have one door that goes directly to the outside but it goes out onto dirt/grass/stone – which come snow/wet season will be a mess as we will track in dirt, etc.
- Parking will likely be OK, but may not be enough – meaning overflow onto the street.
- Poles – the poles are 25’ apart. I am sure we can work with them – but they are a Con.
- There is a lot of “common space” between the rental areas - Not sure how to explain but it may be a minor problem.

Update:

Karl and I have secured the building and we can begin moving in this weekend. We must be out of our two storage lockers my October 31 to avoid paying November rent of $350. Karl is organizing the move-in for this weekend, we need all hands on deck. Karl well be renting a U-Haul truck to accommodate the move. The primary goal is to vacate our storage units, but if we have enough help we likely could get the indoor track set-up and racing by next weekend or the following. So please bring your power screw drivers to assemble the drivers stand, jumps, etc.

I would guess we will start Saturday around 9am.

Track Address: 2841 Index Rd. Madison, WI 53713 - http://goo.gl/maps/SZ10r

Storage Unit: 5258 Anton Drive, Fitchburg, WI 53719 - http://goo.gl/maps/tfGH9
Old 10-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

I'll be there...

Now to try and drag gabe along with
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well I'm going to suggest a practice night on the 9th to test it all out plus I have my racing banquet then I'll be good to go for the rest of the season I hope

Just thought I would make that suggestion
Spike
Old 10-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (98%+)

Just want to ask again about the paragon. Is it going to be a problem with others in the building? Also, start time. Can it be moved up?
Daryl
Old 10-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Traction compound…

I have been in favor of using Paragon mainly because it has been proven not to deteriorate the carpet. And although the strong smell wasn’t a huge bother to me it would be nice if it did not exist or was much weaker. Every year I hear about people that want to race with us but cannot due to the smell. If the club banned stinky traction compound would it see more racers? Would it deteriorate the carpet faster? I’m betting there would be more racers and if the carpet did deteriorate quicker would the offset in more entry fees cover replacing the carpet more often?

I recently was hired by Scotty Ernst to help run tech at the International Indoor Championships (IIC) in Las Vegas. Scotty only allows Jack The Gripper traction compound and it is provided for the racers. Jack The Gripper is one of the more popular odorless traction compounds used by many indoor tracks around the world. Scotty lays down brand new Ozite carpet every year for this and it takes place in a ballroom at the Riviera Hotel. The event is a week long and on the final morning of the event I walked in to the ballroom and the only thing I could smell was freshly laid carpet. There had been racing on it all week and still no smell of any traction compound. I gotta say it was nice.

Some of our club members, myself included, in the past have raced at RC Performance and Hobbies on their carpet track and they only allowed Jack The Gripper. Some of us felt that it had little or no affect on traction. I was talking to Jeff Brown who was also working tech with me at the IIC. He is the owner of SXT Racing Products and he makes a traction compound called SXT 3.0. He tells me that Jack The Gripper had two different formulas and often times you would get the bad formula instead of the good stuff which is probably what happened to a lot of us. He says that SXT 3.0 is the same as the good formula of Jack The Gripper. The other thing he says is that if you try using Jack The Gripper or SXT 3.0 on tires or carpet that had Paragon on it already that they would not work very well. However he also says that if the carpet and the tires have been sitting for a few weeks not getting used you should have no problem switching to this and actually having it work. Jack The Gripper not working for us at RCP was because we had used Paragon a few days before at MARCCA and our tires still had some in them.*

I have contacted Jeff to see if I can get 5-10 bottles of SXT 3.0 at a reduced rate and he said he will donate 10 bottles and I should have them sometime next week. I would like to propose that the club set up a table with these bottles of traction compound on it and everyone use only these for at least the first weekend. The bottles will stay on the table and when you want to sauce your tires just take your tires or whole vehicle to that table and sauce them there. What have we got to loose?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.