Mini "M" Spec / Mini Modified

Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yet one more post in the "mini" thread...
But from a "newcomers" perspective (new to the club and new to on road racing). After seeing the minis race and taking a mini for a test spin I was hooked and bought a M06 kit under the premise that there is and would be a spec class to run in. (Note: the kit is still under constuction). So I hope the spec class not only survives but thrives as well. It's my understanding that the mini class started as a spec class. My input is that it should remain as such. So I will build my kit to run in the spec class, following the rules that were presented at the start of this thread. I'd like the option of using a 21.5, for a number of reasons, but apparantly there are racers that just can't leave a stock motor stock and can't keep the esc in the blinky mode. But the kit came with a silver can motor and that is what the class specifies so I'm good with that. I am never, ever going to beat the fast guys, in any class and with any motor. So my preference is to get into a class were the cars are pretty much on a level playing field. I don't need to go faster. I just need to getter better at driving. I get the fact that there are racers who want to go faster and run with non spec tires, motors, chassis', etc. That is why there are now two mini classes open and spec. So why all the fuss? Pick a class and let's race and have fun. Thanks for listening.

Mike
Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikeymikey
But from a "newcomers" perspective (new to the club and new to on road racing). After seeing the minis race and taking a mini for a test spin I was hooked and bought a M06 kit under the premise that there is and would be a spec class to run in. (Note: the kit is still under constuction). So I hope the spec class not only survives but thrives as well. It's my understanding that the mini class started as a spec class. My input is that it should remain as such. So I will build my kit to run in the spec class, following the rules that were presented at the start of this thread. I'd like the option of using a 21.5, for a number of reasons, but apparantly there are racers that just can't leave a stock motor stock and can't keep the esc in the blinky mode. But the kit came with a silver can motor and that is what the class specifies so I'm good with that. I am never, ever going to beat the fast guys, in any class and with any motor. So my preference is to get into a class were the cars are pretty much on a level playing field. I don't need to go faster. I just need to getter better at driving. I get the fact that there are racers who want to go faster and run with non spec tires, motors, chassis', etc. That is why there are now two mini classes open and spec. So why all the fuss? Pick a class and let's race and have fun. Thanks for listening.

Mike
Very reasonable and sensible indeed. Will yours be ready by Sunday? We might have three new minis this Sunday. The battles will be epic. If you guys want I can not race a Sunday and just help people tune their cars. I'm open to that as well.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Sensible thoughts indeed. I'm just gonna agree with what Mike said because that was a well-put post that expressed my sentiments also.
Vu, that would be awesome if you could help newcomers with setup.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Adept

Sensible thoughts indeed. I'm just gonna agree with what Mike said because that was a well-put post that expressed my sentiments also.
Vu, that would be awesome if you could help newcomers with setup.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikeymikey

Mike
Ah, with age comes wisdom...I'm still waiting...but at least I know it when I see it.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by v_squared
Very reasonable and sensible indeed. Will yours be ready by Sunday? We might have three new minis this Sunday. The battles will be epic. If you guys want I can not race a Sunday and just help people tune their cars. I'm open to that as well.
Ready by Sunday? I wish, but unfortunately no. My kit building is a looooong process (ask Matt about that). But I appreciate your offer of helping us new guys with set ups. I will certainly take a peek at your set up for starters. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:46 AM
Tech Regular

Picked mine up today.... Just gotta finish masking and paint. Box stock with bearings. Trf shocks on order.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Tech Rookie

We're trying to get together a Mini Spec Class for the summer and I am pretty shocked at the aversion people have for a spec class. If there is enough interest for a spec class then let there be a spec class. Every racing series on the planet has rules...either you follow the rules of the class or you race another class?!

I will gladly come out and race a spec class....
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rolology
We're trying to get together a Mini Spec Class for the summer and I am pretty shocked at the aversion people have for a spec class. If there is enough interest for a spec class then let there be a spec class. Every racing series on the planet has rules...either you follow the rules of the class or you race another class?!

I will gladly come out and race a spec class....
The spec class racing this Sunday was awesome!!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

I'll be turning my M06 back into the Spec car & put the 21.5 timed to heck in my M05... Had a lot of fun, even though I think the M05 diff got loose.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just wondering, will it be possible to come to some sort of agreement to have 21.5 with NO timing be part of the spec class?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Generaljake
Just wondering, will it be possible to come to some sort of agreement to have 21.5 with NO timing be part of the spec class?

jake,

the problem with the no timing is that not all motors read the same....example, 0 on a tekin motor is 0
0 on a d3.5 is 30,
the old ovak ballistic was 30, at 0....
so there would be many differences in what 0 timing is...

my thought is you set a speck tire, or tires, spec a 21.5 motor on blinky, spec the battery voltage, (8.44) spec the gear ratio to what ever the tamyia mini can run, spec 2wd, fwd or rwd....

you should also spec the body type...

these things can be teched in les than a min, you only tech when someone complains ...easy easy easy...will make every one happy happy happy
Old 04-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Generaljake
Seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do. But if we allowed that it might make it look like we are deliberately trying to ban someone in particolare.

Who was in spec and who was in mod? Just curious.

But sadly (or hopefully), the stuff in my mini is back in the 1/8 scale. Servo, Rx and ESC.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

We could make the mod mini into a 21.5 class if you guys want. Seems like the spec mini is here to stay as long as there is interest to run it.

This last Sunday I ran mod mini with Cesar and Lane. The rest are spec minis.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by v_squared
We could make the mod mini into a 21.5 class if you guys want. Seems like the spec mini is here to stay as long as there is interest to run it.

This last Sunday I ran mod mini with Cesar and Lane. The rest are spec minis.
This would be a good idea.

How about:

Motor: Speedpassion 21.5R (or some other $35 motor), motor with a no timing can.
ESC: blinky (Dollar limit? No more than $90.00)
gearing: 5.8 FDR max, nothing lower.
Tires: Mini specific, but would like to see Sweep 40s and Sweep 33s.
Max wheelbase: max 235mm min 210mm
max width: 160mm
Drive type: FWD, RWD or 4WD, gear or ball diff, no one ways, spools or locked diffs.
Body: TBD, Brick like, top heavy, prone to roll over.
Minimum weight: 1250g

Breakout laps: Set the best lap -.5 seconds. Anyone runs a lap faster, it doesn't count. Yes the software can do breakout laps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.