Like Tree8Likes

Interest in restarting the club.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Interest in restarting the club.

I have a line on a place but it requires a high level of commitment. Sadly I see no other future for indoor racing in town. I found a place 90 x 40 for a 3 year lease. It's clear space with a bathroom. The owner calls it flex space and would let us get back to racing this fall. The level of commitment thing: $15.00 race fees and we need to average 66 full race fees per week. Less racers would mean higher race fees. Members dues would be used for upkeep and maintenance. Post your opinion below. I'm going to stay in touch with the leasing agent to see if better places are available.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Having checked turnouts over the past year plus at the now closed tracks. That number would, to me, be very difficult to reach. Even for events WC was around 70. Weekly was 25-30 for on road side. Less at Leisure. I’ve yet to try off road, did not follow turnouts on that side. Are you considering both or just one?

Location. Always a concern. I known there’s more people in west and north suburbs. But there are a number in south suburbs. While the 50 mile drive wasn’t terrible to WC. Traffic is unpredictable. Distance automatically puts a limit on frequency of visits. Also, there’s a percentage that has to work, at least part of weekends.

Maybe a more coordinated plan is needed. The closing of WC seemed to wake up people. Now a rush to save racing. I applaud the efforts. But you have a plan. Another in the WC has a plan for turf track. I know another( not on RCTech) that’s supposedly close to having a location. And, quietly, the track in Morris just opened.

I’m sure there’s far more.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

The Madison area has Tracks. Love the place. But that's it. MARCCA was a mainstay for years. One club where onroad and off-road shared the same track. Ideally, I would like to see that happen again. 4 years ago off-road was sporting 60 to 80 racers on a Saturday night. Onroad had 20 to 30 racers on Sunday afternoon So with a few tweaks and getting everyone back that quit out of frustration and adding one more place to practice mini-z. Kinda like Sidewinderz.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
The Madison area has Tracks. Love the place. But that's it. MARCCA was a mainstay for years. One club where onroad and off-road shared the same track. Ideally, I would like to see that happen again. 4 years ago off-road was sporting 60 to 80 racers on a Saturday night. Onroad had 20 to 30 racers on Sunday afternoon So with a few tweaks and getting everyone back that quit out of frustration and adding one more place to practice mini-z. Kinda like Sidewinderz.
I canít imagine turnouts in the 60+ range.

Adding small scale to running standard would be different.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:17 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Maybe $20 race entry +$5 for second class.Or make it a club style, members pay an up front one time fee for each season and get access for off-day practice and reduced race entry fee.

Anyways, I'm in... would love someplace closer.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i am in full favor of the club returning, however, the numbers posted come to roughly 4200 per month rent, or over 50 k per year....typically marcca would pay 1 to 2 k per month. So that is a HUGE commitment.

also, 90 by 40 is SMALL if the track was that big, and there was pitting for 60 bodies you woould be on to something, typically we looked for 10k sq\ft...you can get by with less, but it is difficult.

another thing, the carpet is old, for offroad, it is probably ok, but in my opinion, new carpet is needed for an on road program. that said, i assume all the club equipment is in a safe place, and would still be usable?

there are lots of questions, but...as someone who started racing in 199 with MARCCA, i would love to see them return.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:21 PM
Tech Adept

Portage has several empty buildings but probably to far.. May have to look outside of Madison.
J.Whiting likes this.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:05 AM
Administrator

world of variety in verona is empty, also, it would likly be month to month...but...it is a building....
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It's all what you make of it. You can't judge by one tracks performance or the size of the metro area only because there are too many factors to consider.

Live RC is a great tool to look around at different tracks to see when they race and what their turnouts may be.

Windy City for the past year averaged 49 entries and 37 racers each week. Great facility in a big metro area but something was missing there.

Indy RC which is a small track that runs on and offroad on the same surface averaged 171 entries and 115 racers per week over the last 15 weeks. Yes, they run more often but if we are purely judging by entries then whatever they are doing is working better in a much smaller building.

Hobbytown Oshkosh over 46 weeks - 67 entries and 42 racers per week.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
It's all what you make of it. You can't judge by one tracks performance or the size of the metro area only because there are too many factors to consider.

Live RC is a great tool to look around at different tracks to see when they race and what their turnouts may be.

Windy City for the past year averaged 49 entries and 37 racers each week. Great facility in a big metro area but something was missing there.

Indy RC which is a small track that runs on and offroad on the same surface averaged 171 entries and 115 racers per week over the last 15 weeks. Yes, they run more often but if we are purely judging by entries then whatever they are doing is working better in a much smaller building.

Hobbytown Oshkosh over 46 weeks - 67 entries and 42 racers per week.
Thanks Troy!
Old 04-30-2019, 11:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post
i am in full favor of the club returning, however, the numbers posted come to roughly 4200 per month rent, or over 50 k per year....typically marcca would pay 1 to 2 k per month. So that is a HUGE commitment.

also, 90 by 40 is SMALL if the track was that big, and there was pitting for 60 bodies you woould be on to something, typically we looked for 10k sq\ft...you can get by with less, but it is difficult.

another thing, the carpet is old, for offroad, it is probably ok, but in my opinion, new carpet is needed for an on road program. that said, i assume all the club equipment is in a safe place, and would still be usable?

there are lots of questions, but...as someone who started racing in 199 with MARCCA, i would love to see them return.
I can see what else is out there. Like you said we have always relied on a distressed property or a favor from a building owner. WoV would be great if we can get a price on it. New carpet is a must, so we would have to do a donation drive with members for new carpet and extra pieces for jump landings so we don't tear it up. I think we have to go with the membership fee structure and make it web based so members can see if the monthly goal is achieved and note the balance. If attendance is lacking dues go up, but then the club stays open. If most racers check their RC budget, they spend roughly $15 a week on entry fees. Paying fees upfront should not be a issue.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

Up the cost to $20. I get goal is not to make a ton of money but an extra $300 per week assuming 60 racers can make a world of difference and honestly if people can't come up with $5 they don't want this to work. Also arrange for a catering truck who does construction sites to show up for free and request 10% of his take.
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BigAl's 12scale View Post
Portage has several empty buildings but probably to far.. May have to look outside of Madison.
Middleton, Verona, Waunakee, Fitchburg. Right now I'm hoping just to find flex space with a good floor as Matt stated, 10k sq. ft. for under $4000. That means it'll probably be really rough, not in a great neighborhood and something no one else wants to be in. We get what we are willing to pay for.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Middleton, Verona, Waunakee, Fitchburg. Right now I'm hoping just to find flex space with a good floor as Matt stated, 10k sq. ft. for under $4000. That means it'll probably be really rough, not in a great neighborhood and something no one else wants to be in. We get what we are willing to pay for.

you are correct
Old 04-30-2019, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Too bad someone with some business background couldn't make RC racing in Madison a permanent business.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service