Wiki Posts
Search

Speed Secrets (SS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 03:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default Speed Secrets (SS)

I am opening up this thread so that racers can share their speed secrets or any information that can improve the skills of our newbies. Can we have a local Surikarn? I believe we can if we put out our differences and share for the betterment of this exciting hobby. True, there are lots of SS out there in the web. But in my humble opninion we can create a sense of teamwork and camaradie if we work together and give some guidance to our new and not so new racers.

I will compile what I have shared into this one thread so that racers can have easy access. Please do add on any pointers that might help.

Let me start the ball rolling -

Last edited by RedEnzo; 07-02-2007 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:01 AM
Tech Master

Use a simple concept call 5W+1H - Nicknamed 5 wives and 1 husband......

Answer the question What, When, Who, Where, Why and How.

What to do?
1. What to develop? Develop pure racing instinct. -- If you want to race "successfully", throw away the racing for fun attitude. Or else, you'll only stay at the back of the pack. Let me qualify that statement (got to choose word wisely nowadays, or else I'll be shot down). There are people who just race for fun so I am specifically targetting goal getters and high acheivers.

2. What to develop. Develop a mindset of Hunger for success -- Set your mind and give yourself a reasonable target. it's like setting your KPIs. (Key Performance Indicators). Let say now you are languishing in C main. Next race set a target to be in B main. Slowly but steadily move up the ranking.

3. What are the stuffs needed to make your car fast? Refrain from using unnecessary blings. These might make you car look nicer but might add some weight to your car. Try to reduce as much weight as possible. You can add some ballast here and there later to balance the handling of your cars

4. What are the basic settings for certain track. Keep record of different settings for different track layout.

5. What are the SWOT - Your Strength - Your Weakness. . What are the Opportunities that you can grab. Be aware of the Threats of your rivals. Be aware of their strengths and weaknesess.

When?
1. Set a time frame to achieve your targets. Eg. Next race. B main. Next 4 races A main. Next 10 races top 5.

Who?
1. Who do you seek advice and SS? Of course RedEnzo.... Just kidding. Don't be shy to ask around. I'm sure a lot of Old timers out there willing to give a hand.

2. With Whom do you practice? Make friends with fast racers and try to practice with them. Get some useful pointers. Of course, don't forget to belanja them teh tarik.... heh heh heh.....

3. Know who your friends and rivals are.

Where?
1. Where do you practice?

2. Where to get all the stuffs need?

Why?
1. Know the exact reason why you want to succeed and you'll achieve your objectives in a more structured manner. By being more objective you'll not be shooting in the dark.

How?
1. Practice-practice-practice. Remember, practice makes perfect. Before each race take all the opportunity to try as many settings as possible during the allocated practice time. If you wanna go far, weekend fun bashing just does not cut it. Try to race as many track as possible and as I've said. make a mental note of each track layout and the basic settings for particular track. If you are game enough, use a setting sheet and keep notes of the settings. Work round that basic set-ups and fine tune till you get the correct/comfortable setting. Remember the PDCA?

Hope this SS (this is my definition of more than Basic SS lah....) helps

Cheers.

Last edited by RedEnzo; 07-02-2007 at 04:29 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:17 AM
Tech Master

Second series of SS

1. You need to be confortable with your car. If possible, it should be an extension of you. Unless you can point and shoot your car at will you can forget about racing with other cars. I've had my share of infighting with the car and at the end of the day being at the back of the pack. Be very critical of the track condition such as grip, temperature, racing lines etc. make subtle changes where necessary.

2. Once you are happy with the car's hadling, it need to be up to speed. Not very nice if your car being overtaken at the straight like hot knife through butter. Use the correct gear ratio for different track layout and different driving style. How? experiment lah....If your can't afford the expensive hakarunjer lap counter, race with your friends and be aware of any speed differentials.

3. How you manage and charge you batteries is also important. I notice some guys charging their batteries at 7A just to get that extra power...... Power directly proportion to Voltage . Remember, the more current you pump in the more you create internal resistance hence the faster your batteries kaput.

4. I notice one racer using the cheap Tahmazo imitation charger capable of pumping 5A max. REsult? he was very competitive.If not mistaken he won. Though his car was relatively slow compared to some of the other cars, he was CONSISTENT.

5. Be consistent. It is no use having a faster car but making mistakes here and there. Once you car is stuck, you'd probably lose a few corners and in worst case scenario, the track marshall might be slow to retrieve it hence you might lose half a lap. My point is, being more consistent and making less mistake is more important than outright speed. But if you can have both, then you are in for a top finishing.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Wink

Fuuyooh! from the moment i read this thread till end. theres a conclusion to admit here, satu hape pon aku x phm. but actually its a good thread leh! only wondering, whether ppl can follow this @ not. i guess not . btw, congrats for the efforts.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedEnzo
Use a simple concept call 5W+1H - Nicknamed 5 wives and 1 husband......

Answer the question What, When, Who, Where, Why and How.

5. What are the SWOT - Your Strength - Your Weakness. . What are the Opportunities that you can grab. Be aware of the Threats of your rivals. Be aware of their strengths and weaknesess.

Cheers.
Hmm..sounds like "Business Marketing" subject..just joking ..anyway its a good thread..hopefully more of the main player will share their SS.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

from the 2nd series of SS;

i will actually solute if any of guys out there (whom are newbs like me) 3-5years exp. if they can win just by using Blazer Tx/Rx with 102 servo, just by using silver can and 3000mah batt inside old model cars from yok, kiyosh, tamiya etc. damn, please lets share your knowledge by being my sifu. even more, if they can even beat those gp rempit guys ... please let me stay in you home and be your maid...

but i wont agree if you play with no fun. this is a hobby game, no serious as Japan GT or F1 challenge! but its up to you guys.

cheap tahmazo imitation? i dont think its cheap. if its blue exactly like Bantam then its definitly not cheap . yeap, this 1 has no punch charger but it will give you runtime quite longer than expensive 1. a lil mod will do. just change the suppressor diode inside and few FETs. it will boost your batt both punch and time equally.

however, whether if its true or not (rumors). last year on 1 of the ep's big race, the winner actually cheated which most drivers that time knew it happened. it actually brought down this hobby to ground zero, when most otai "gantung tx" becoz of that. either way, thats what i heard lah and hoping not to repeat again. cheers!

Last edited by ayeen2; 07-02-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Default My Speed Angles - Part 1

i believe the out most inportant value in this matter is dicipline...
Old 07-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

nice thread... thanks for sharing ~
Old 07-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

hahha..nice job la..cool..and let me answer some of the question:

When?
1. Set a time frame to achieve your targets. Eg. Next race. B main. Next 4 races A main. Next 10 races top 5.
in one year kot baru leh masuk A MAIN

Who?
1. Who do you seek advice and SS? Of course RedEnzo.... Just kidding. Don't be shy to ask around. I'm sure a lot of Old timers out there willing to give a hand.
my otai la..mr niko frn JB..tahaha..tak pun en baha...

2. With Whom do you practice? Make friends with fast racers and try to practice with them. Get some useful pointers. Of course, don't forget to belanja them teh tarik.... heh heh heh.....
ogie and kerol...sesama sengal..best kalo race dgn dorg..pasal belanjer kerol saving sikit..wahahha

3. Know who your friends and rivals are.
all rc players are my frens la..rivals??tak ada kot..play for fun la..
Where?
1. Where do you practice?
HPC, TT, Track Haram Lesung KU...

2. Where to get all the stuffs need?
unkel suah frm rc planet..sham TAWAKAL..

Why?
1. Know the exact reason why you want to succeed and you'll achieve your objectives in a more structured manner. By being more objective you'll not be shooting in the dark.
life is not about finding ur self..life is about creating ur self

How?
1. Practice-practice-practice. Remember, practice makes perfect. Before each race take all the opportunity to try as many settings as possible during the allocated practice time. If you wanna go far, weekend fun bashing just does not cut it. Try to race as many track as possible and as I've said. make a mental note of each track layout and the basic settings for particular track. If you are game enough, use a setting sheet and keep notes of the settings. Work round that basic set-ups and fine tune till you get the correct/comfortable setting. Remember the PDCA?
agree ...

hahah..nice thread la bro..keep it UP..!
Old 07-04-2007, 01:08 AM
tornado

1. You need to be confortable with your car. If possible, it should be an extension of you. Unless you can point and shoot your car at will you can forget about racing with other cars. I've had my share of infighting with the car and at the end of the day being at the back of the pack. Be very critical of the track condition such as grip, temperature, racing lines etc. make subtle changes where necessary..
Agree......How to do it ? Share with us......

2. Once you are happy with the car's hadling, it need to be up to speed. Not very nice if your car being overtaken at the straight like hot knife through butter. Use the correct gear ratio for different track layout and different driving style. How? experiment lah....If your can't afford the expensive hakarunjer lap counter, race with your friends and be aware of any speed differentials.
a simple stop watch and a friend (I'm sure many do have some rite?) will do.

3. How you manage and charge you batteries is also important. I notice some guys charging their batteries at 7A just to get that extra power...... Power directly proportion to Voltage . Remember, the more current you pump in the more you create internal resistance hence the faster your batteries kaput.
Actually all batteries have their own internal resistance and the higher the current you pump in, the internal resistance will create heat ( overtime, this continuos stress will make one's cells to kaput faster) and hence if one is not careful with their charger settings, the cells may vent and explode !!

4. I notice one racer using the cheap Tahmazo imitation charger capable of pumping 5A max. REsult? he was very competitive.If not mistaken he won. Though his car was relatively slow compared to some of the other cars, he was CONSISTENT.
Kawan, orang tu Uncle Yap lah........orang lama, champion lama. Tahmazo no cheap woh.............if one could get the max juice from your cells using the Eagle Racing el cheapo charger.....respect lah.

5. Be consistent. It is no use having a faster car but making mistakes here and there. Once you car is stuck, you'd probably lose a few corners and in worst case scenario, the track marshall might be slow to retrieve it hence you might lose half a lap. My point is, being more consistent and making less mistake is more important than outright speed. But if you can have both, then you are in for a top finishing.
The key is to be consistently FAST !!

Old 07-04-2007, 01:13 AM
tornado

..........There are people who just race for fun so I am specifically targetting goal getters and high acheivers. .......................
We all should presume you're one goal getter lah ....... patutlah pressure sangat sampai masuk hospital tahun lalu..................in Malaysia mana boleh kawan........unless one has his/daddy backing sampai jadi World Champion macam Masalah dan Cunikan....

Old 07-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi,

This is an interesting thread. As a casual racer who has participated in a grand total of 2 races ever all in my home town, I am definately under qualified to give advise but nevertheless I'll just give my 2 cents worth anyway. Keep in my mind that I am drawing my experience from my 2 off road fun races :

1) grace under pressure - new racers or old racers, the greatest enemy is thyself. How one reacts to pressure is important in the overall scheme of things. Pressure of the race. Pressure when one is under hot pursuit by other racers in a race. Pressure when one is chasing others etc. One must be in control, keep a cool head, stick to one's game plan (if there is one ). Do a race as if one is practising. Easier said than done though.

2) are u experienced ? - for new racers, the easiest way to move up is to get more experience. Participate in more races & learn from others. Learn the race protocols, sequences, rules etc. This way, all the things mentioned earlier become routine & one can concentrate on the driving, strategies etc.

Now cough up the 2 cents consultant fee I charge .

Regards,
Joe Ling
Old 07-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi all,

Imo beside the above i believed most driver especially novice fail to hv gd rest the nite b4 Raceday.. Last mnute servicing the machines....talk to the machine kekeke.... having all sorts of race dreams/target in mnd etc.... ...

I used 2b one.. but after gone thru some races i realized not enuf sleep really reduce level of consentration espeacially during long final ..

So prepare early n rest well b4 raceday will surely keeps u at your best.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alvinL
Hi all,

Imo beside the above i believed most driver especially novice fail to hv gd rest the nite b4 Raceday.. Last mnute servicing the machines....talk to the machine kekeke.... having all sorts of race dreams/target in mnd etc.... ...

I used 2b one.. but after gone thru some races i realized not enuf sleep really reduce level of consentration espeacially during long final ..

So prepare early n rest well b4 raceday will surely keeps u at your best.
What to do Malaysian ways of doing things always last minute...

Well I too go to LHS to service my car on one Sat. But since Sun is a race day at TT. At night a large group of ppl coming in to upgrade, fix & service their buggies. The owner got pissed and irritated cause he don't have time to fix his own car besides servicing others & handling complains here there. The shop itself supposingly close by 11pm. Yet have to extend till 3am morning onwards.

In summary I believe the majority haven't got time to sleep. Before race they seem to look like meditating.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

hi, i'm newbie in ep touring ...i just started to join race recently..i joined 2 race so far with my old car mr4tc....hehe

well, i'm oso d 1 tat do my car last minute b4 race..i service my car till 3am n d race is at 9am so i manage to sleep few hour b4 going to track...

d 1st time i join race i'm damn nervous till i bought a chewing gum(my sifu taught me ...hehe) to chew during race n my jaw very tired after d race cos my mouth keep on chewing....hahaha

from the 1st race i join, i learned alots of thing...those old kaki keep on telling/teach me how to do this n tat, wat is this n tat for ....well, it's owes scared n nervous when u race with ppl tat been in r/c touring for a long time...

for me, in order to gain more exp is to learn and see wat those r/c kaki do . try talk with them,try ask them, i'm sure they will tell us......n oso do more practising in track.... practise make perfect....

jus my 2 cent experience..........hehe

My simple tips on r/c :-

- service evthing especially bearing..take it out n clean with petrol/nitro buster n reoil it with bearing oil
- make sure evthing skru is tight b4 d race
- make sure u charge ur battery on d race day nt d nite b4 cos battery will lose some Oomph....(i learn this fr website)
- make sure u test d car a day b4 d race
- clean d motor n replace shim if necessary
- chg shock oil or top up
- check tx battery
- check esc n battery connection
- clean d tyre so tat free of dirt

my 1 cent tips.........hehe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.