Search
Like Tree5Likes

Fastlane Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 07:12 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smoke81
Anyone up for running electric outside this summer??? We might look into a harder Jaco compound for a spec tire. ALl I know is I really want to do some asphault racing!!!
We had already been discussing this with Chuck. He's all for anything that gets more use out of the asphault this year. And with the uncertainty out at OP, its more and more likely that many people will look to Fastlane for their outdoor asphault this year.

When Core and I ran out there last year, the 4300(10.5) seemed to be a really good fit for the size of the track and the traction capabilities of the Take Offs 27s.

With the way the weather changes here in the mid west, I think its going to be tough to have just one temp of spec tire. The Take Off 27 fit the role...just barely. But with it gone, its going to be tough to find a tire that can handle the cool of April and early May, and the intense heat of July through Sept.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Won't Fastlane have A/C pits this summer? That could be a nice perk when racing outisde 'round August.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I say just make it open tires....any compound...as a tire that works at 10am won't work that great at 4pm.

I can't say I will do a whole lot of electric sedan racing this summer as the MTX4 will get the lionshare of wheel time!

Last edited by Core Creations; 02-29-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How many are going too be running 1/8 on-road this summer?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Tech Champion

I think that both 1/10 and 1/8 should have a decent amount racing pretty regularly this summer.

As far as the spec tire thing for outside....I say let's just run what you brung tire wise. I would bet any of the JACO premounts with the gigantic air gap will blister and wear out very very fast.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Tech Lord

Jaco is promising a better tire, and Schumacher USA seems to think they found the jesus tire to replace CS27's. I don't really care where they come from, so long as they're good quality. These current Jacos are a bummer. Sunday is the last indoor race here, so I need to figure out something in a hurry to get ready for the asphalt.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Just get some Sorex sets....In my opinion they are the best tire on the market, especially for asphalt. I'd pick up some 28s for cool weather (mornings) and some 36s for warm-hot weather.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
I think that both 1/10 and 1/8 should have a decent amount racing pretty regularly this summer.

As far as the spec tire thing for outside....I say let's just run what you brung tire wise. I would bet any of the JACO premounts with the gigantic air gap will blister and wear out very very fast.
What's your choice for 1/8? Anyone else
Old 02-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Tech Champion

I will be running 1/10 nitro sedan....as will Greg, Jim, Ian, Tim, Tim M...and others I'm sure.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Lord

Sorex might be the only choice. I hear they burn up very quickly, though. I think I'd go that route over Jaco with their current tires. Sorex seem easy enough to find. I'd definitely like to try the tires Schumacher USA is bringing to market, too.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

I'm not overly thrilled about open tires... Beings I have never ran outdoors i'll take your word on the temp thing.. How about 2 compound spec tires? One for the cool and one for the heat? I have no desire to really run an open tire class.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Tech Champion

***WARNING- PERSONAL OPINION COMING**

I guess I don't really have a problem with open tires because that's what we have been running in KC for about 12 years outside. And I can't recall anytime where it was an issue. Some people preferred this tire and some those. And I know the argument of what if this person runs new tires each qualifier...I personally have never witnessed this so...??? I also haven't seen a tire that's .2-.3 a lap faster the first time it's run. My tires run the same the first race til I throw them out.

And just some FYI for the relative new comers to rubber tire....Takeoffs were never meant to be a spec tire. The preglued thing was the selling point and was purely a convenience thing. They were out over 5 years before Reedy used them as a spec tire in 2004...That was the first time. An it was only to level the "pros". I kinda feel like at a club level that we have already leveled the playing field with brushless motors. But we allow NIMH to run against Lipo...which is already an advantage...so to me tires are purely personal choice and not an advantage.

If there is gonna be a spec tire for outside I'll probably pass. With no Take Offs and the giant air gapped Jacos as the local "only" choice I will stick to Nitro and maybe some mini. Not trying to cause a riff...I just don't like the Jacos and would like to run what I like and not be made to run an inferior tire. For inside the spec thing is fine...but outside with temp changes and traction changes all day long...no thanks.

Last edited by Core Creations; 02-29-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Tech Lord

I always thought the CS in CS27 was "control spec?"

With the rubber tire situation the way it is right now, sticking to one spec tire might be a challenge. If someone wants to throw the money every week at a new set of tires so they can win a club race, let 'em. Find something that lasts and drive your ass off. If they win, just giggle when you realize they're going to spend $40 the next weekend to "win" in an unfair battle at a meaningless club race. Who's the real winner in that scenario?
Old 02-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Tires

I am all for open tires in an outdoor setting it helps to get traction under control in an already challenging environment. I use different tires to offset heat last time I ran outdoors with Charlie and Greg (two years ago).

Last edited by Jaz406; 02-29-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Core Creations
***WARNING- PERSONAL OPINION COMING**

I guess I don't really have a problem with open tires because that's what we have been running in KC for about 12 years outside. And I can't recall anytime where it was an issue. Some people preferred this tire and some those. And I know the argument of what if this person runs new tires each qualifier...I personally have never witnessed this so...??? I also haven't seen a tire that's .2-.3 a lap faster the first time it's run. My tires run the same the first race til I throw them out.

And just some FYI for the relative new comers to rubber tire....Takeoffs were never meant to be a spec tire. The preglued thing was the selling point and was purely a convenience thing. They were out over 5 years before Reedy used them as a spec tire in 2004...That was the first time. An it was only to level the "pros". I kinda feel like at a club level that we have already leveled the playing field with brushless motors. But we allow NIMH to run against Lipo...which is already an advantage...so to me tires are purely personal choice and not an advantage.

If there is gonna be a spec tire for outside I'll probably pass. With no Take Offs and the giant air gapped Jacos as the local "only" choice I will stick to Nitro and maybe some mini. Not trying to cause a riff...I just don't like the Jacos and would like to run what I like and not be made to run an inferior tire. For inside the spec thing is fine...but outside with temp changes and traction changes all day long...no thanks.
Charlie, thanks for your opinion, nobody has mentioned anything to me about summer tires, I agree with what your saying and see it the other way also, I'm sure with the help of the local racers, Fastlane will do whats best to get more racers so we can all have great summer of racing

Thanks Shane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.