Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Kansas/Missouri Racing
SmacTrac...St.Louis Indoor Off Road >

SmacTrac...St.Louis Indoor Off Road

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SmacTrac...St.Louis Indoor Off Road

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

I'm not really sure what to think about sportman classes. There are pros and cons.

The whole idea of sportsman to me is kinda like riding a bike with training wheels. Eventually you shouldn't need the training wheels and should get better on your own. Problem with sportsman is that some people who don't need the training wheels still stay in sportsman.

If we keep sportsman, we should at least make the guys who consistently win or are in the top 3, bump up into the pro classes. It's a win/win for both sides. More competition, and maybe an incentive for other sportsman to bump up.

Biggest problem with eliminating sportsman, is how the pro class will react to the other drivers. We all know how serious things can get, someone will get pissed that slower drivers are in the way.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Eliminate sportsman, shoe and scott both know most of the guy who can run with who. He will be able to set the rounds fairly well and be able to maybe rotate a guy or two around weekly to get some of the guys to mix in to experience faster times. No need to make a simple thing harder.

I also am selling my t4.2, roller. Has .1 front end on it and .2 will come with along with spare springs, pistons and some other odds and ends. Asking 225, also have ions and barcodes for the truck included with 2 bodies.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

The problem with having sportsman and mod classes is that it tries to group people in 2 ability levels. The truth is there are many ability levels out there. The way I see it, one big class takes care of that by creating A, B and C mains as Jacks article pointed out. I think the key is a good pre-sort based on previous results and a re-sort after each round. In the end I think people will be much more evenly grouped this way.

As it was pointed I before, Scott runs a great program and I am just happy to have such a great place to race. I will be happy with whatever he decides.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Live rc article

http://www.liverc.com/news/special_f..._the_alphabet/

Here is the article Jack posted a couple of weeks ago. It makes some good points.

I will be moving up to pro this week with about 6 to 8 other sportman drivers. Not because I think I can keep up with them still 2 laps off at times. This will fill the B mains in the pro classes and hopefully more then that when attendance is up or if sportsman is dropped C and D mains. Look at all the chances to bump up which creates more races for the racers.

I am also moving up because of the term Sandbagging. Don't you think if I could turn faster lap times I would. This is what having pro and sportsman classes does separates people into two different groups when in all reality we are the same. The 13.5 classes might be a great way for a newbie some of your rtr buggies even come with a 13.5.
Scott asked for feedback on this subject and it is great to see people giving there opinion.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

So far I have seen Cesar, Kirk and I believe Wayne say they are moving up. Cole and I will be doing the same. B-Main here we come! Cole may even sneak into the A at this rate.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 133 (100%+)

What is this "pro class" I've seen mentioned? I'm just gonna run mod and quit sandbaging in sportsman. C main here I come. Woot woot
Old 11-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Gierse
The problem with having sportsman and mod classes is that it tries to group people in 2 ability levels. The truth is there are many ability levels out there. The way I see it, one big class takes care of that by creating A, B and C mains as Jacks article pointed out. I think the key is a good pre-sort based on previous results and a re-sort after each round. In the end I think people will be much more evenly grouped this way.

As it was pointed I before, Scott runs a great program and I am just happy to have such a great place to race. I will be happy with whatever he decides.
+1
Old 11-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Tech Initiate

I don't see a issue with eliminating sportsman class and I'm one of the slower drivers my only concern was the motor limits so I guess put me in what ever class my motor goes in I agree with the article about the mains as well whatever main you end up in is your skill level main plus it makes me sound better saying I was in a mod/pro D main lol
Old 11-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Just stock and mod. Maybe a Novice "run what you brung" class. That is all that is needed. But, there is that race coming up with a 13.5 4wd class, lol.
The reasons for the mains is to separate and place you with racers of your level. Basically the same as sportsman and "pro".
As for the racers looking forward to c and d main finishes, you will be surprised what running with faster people will do for your skills. Most racers get to what I call "hull speed", they can not go any faster, in their mind, because they are finishing in the top of their class, but still a lap or 2 off the next "class". Remember, the "pros" from this track have been running for a very, very long time, TOGETHER. They push each other to be faster, just as they would if Fast Joe Sportsman runs with them.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1
Just stock and mod. Maybe a Novice "run what you brung" class. That is all that is needed. But, there is that race coming up with a 13.5 4wd class, lol.
The reasons for the mains is to separate and place you with racers of your level. Basically the same as sportsman and "pro".
As for the racers looking forward to c and d main finishes, you will be surprised what running with faster people will do for your skills. Most racers get to what I call "hull speed", they can not go any faster, in their mind, because they are finishing in the top of their class, but still a lap or 2 off the next "class". Remember, the "pros" from this track have been running for a very, very long time, TOGETHER. They push each other to be faster, just as they would if Fast Joe Sportsman runs with them.

There are races that have 13.5 4wd spectrum race just had 60 drivers ...... cactus Classic has a bunch more and more have that class
Old 11-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

13.5 spec 4wd will turn into the cost factor issue of 17.5 blinky 2whl.

But if it gets more racers involved in the sport, that's a good thing for the tracks.

Last edited by Qwkrn U; 11-10-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Qwkrn U
13.5 spec 4wd will turn into the cost factor issue of 17.5 blinky 2whl.
+1
Old 11-10-2014, 03:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by CarlCrocco
I'm not really sure what to think about sportman classes. There are pros and cons.

The whole idea of sportsman to me is kinda like riding a bike with training wheels. Eventually you shouldn't need the training wheels and should get better on your own. Problem with sportsman is that some people who don't need the training wheels still stay in sportsman.

If we keep sportsman, we should at least make the guys who consistently win or are in the top 3, bump up into the pro classes. It's a win/win for both sides. More competition, and maybe an incentive for other sportsman to bump up.

Biggest problem with eliminating sportsman, is how the pro class will react to the other drivers. We all know how serious things can get, someone will get pissed that slower drivers are in the way.
Best idea I have read on here so far. Being a novice racer that has never raced (do to working weekends) I like the idea of sportsman class only that when I go up Tuesdays and Thursdays, I get pretty upset with myself when I hit another racer and cause a pileup I can only imagine racing against them would give me an ulcer.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

There is already a novice class, only reason it is not used s simply..... Lack of turnout. If more than 2 novice folks show for race day Scott usually has a novice class. This is great for younger folks to get involved with the race structure as well as anyone just starting out.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

do away with sportsman group everyone together and let the computer sort it out make no changes that way the sportsman guys can run with me Pro guys and then reseat after one or two rounds it helps make the new guys better aware of driving also they learn as well.

I say do away with stock and go super stock because everybody likes to go fast and just make thatthe class for the little people to run in such as myself.

I'm fine with either way but in the last four years we have change nothinglet some of the sportsman guys feel privileged of bumping out of a main to the next

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.