Wiki Posts
Search

VTA Isn't Cheap!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ninja
I have seen several people mention VTA as a good cheap racing solution where cars are equal and it comes down to mostly driving for the winning person. Curiosity and thoughts that I may enjoy VTA had me looking into building a VTA car. Using an HPI E10 as the chassis, I began a build. Going by the USVTA rulebook, and using the cheapest stuff I could find new, the build cost me roughly $550 on tower. Wow, thats not cheap, and only gives me a single battery to run.

Do locals enforce every USVTA rule? As in, could I use my current non-ROAR approved batteries as long as they are 5000ma or less? Any motor other than the Novak choices allowed locally? The motor, esc, and batteries are the biggest cost. Even if it was Tamiya closed silver can I would be much happier.

What do you folks think?
you know I was looking around and read this....oh boy...lol...nah serious...if you really want to do VTA (NEW)...you can still do it around $300...

most tracks allow exceptions for new racers, or even new to the class...there are several options..but for me here is the best one yet...

I normally recomend the HPI Sprint Sport VTA...

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/708/

....it come with everything USVTA legal except esc/motor....but the esc/motor that comes with it can be geared down to allow ppl to race it with the 25.5's...now the original esc/motor wont last forever, but it will give you time to get the Novak Havok 25.5 combo for $105...

http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...4.0.0.0?pp=10&

that puts you at $305 for a NEW VTA legal car...now you will still need a lipo and charger...I run Team Associated stuff...but you dont have to...you can get a lipo and charger for under $100....the Venom lipos and charger can be found as well as the Tunigy stuff...and I dont race with either, but I know ppl who do and are very competitive and winning with them...

the best thing to do as a racer is go by the USVTA rules...the work better than any set of rules ever for the class...and I would know. But dont let that be the end of all...you track director will have final say.

most importantly, ask somebody that has done the homework...before you buy...see what your local track offers as rules. We here in Nashville are very much into the USVTA rules and its been great for the class for everybody from fast guys to newbies....it has truly helped our VTA class and our on-road program altogether....

good luck and if you need some help, just pm the right ppl

Myron BATTMAN Kinnard
Old 03-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't believe that a thread with "VTA" in the title got to the second page before you posted.

Man............you're slipping.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xpress
I don't believe that a thread with "VTA" in the title got to the second page before you posted.

Man............you're slipping.
Does vta have a chance of help to revive TC?
Old 03-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Tech Champion

Got to love the Georgia boyz .......I hope you guys do get VTA back in the mix. Hey I hope them other guys come Sunday to my enduro race. Its a real treat.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the links Darkside. Thats a much more respectable price range. If I could get it for that price, I could do Minis too. Haha
baman&pidaman
Old 03-18-2011, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

No problem

Fyi my tc3, is a rtr from ten years ago. I bought a ballastic motor 2 years ago for 17.5 .when I went VTA. $30 stator

It can be even more less on your pocket if you do used.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FordGT40
Randy "FREAKING" Nukem! Yeah, racing those Mini's was a ton of fun until I started dominating and everybody quit! Seriously though, that was the most fun and cheapest racing I've ever done. SCT was awfully fun too until it went from a stock "Slash" class to whatever it is now.

Lol That word must have a different meaning in Calhoun....lol Yeah I miss those races, I've kept most of my cars so I'm ready soon as we can get a somewhat close track.