Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Outacontrol Raceway 2010 Race Schedule and Events

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

No actually practice is not the problem... we have plenty of members willing to do that, I don't handle practice.
An interesting fact Andy, most members like to play and practice they don't want to race... and that's a lot less pressure as far as track work is concerned.
It doesn't require a prefect surface, calcium etc... it's a lot less work...
$5 practice for members $10 for non-members

Most members at the club and we have almost 60 of them, do not care for racing only 10% are die hard racers, the other 90% couldn't care less and are actually intimidated by racing and find it too stressful.

Regarding the incident, the County manager called me about an accident and a mother looking for money cause she had to take the kid to the ER, turned out it wasn't us, but the BMX track next door which is also on the same Park grounds.
Our practices are ran like clockwork and everyone is required to signup and acknowledge the Liability Release Clause.

The guys running practice are now on top of it, that guy refusing to pay and signup should have been removed from the facility and the County confirmed that it is indeed the correct procedure for such a situation. Call the Sheriff's office and have them leave. Sign up or you don't practice.
When it comes to members it's a lot easier because their membership is a liability release which is signed at the time of membership. As members they have a fiduciary duty and are partaking in the risk.

The biggest problem for me really is the big races... they cost a lot, we don't make a lot, they require a lot of work and not enough people get involved.... when done right big races used to contribute half of our annual operating budget... with the current low trunouts and the higher costs at these major races they only contribute 15% to 20%...
That's just the fact and that why we've been asking promoters to realign themselves with the current conditions and what the clubs/tracks are facing...

Last edited by mannyo30; 04-30-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Manny for the insite.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Adept

Default More insite ok just my 2 cents

To properly set up a club and not have all the problems requires that a board of directors be elected for a 1 year term.
1. Event director
2. Track design director
3 Etc. Etc.

Each director appoints a group, comitie members that decide on what is best for the club, track design, events etc.

There is no debat about business at club meetings. If the members don't like the choises that the board makes then you elect a new board the next year. Club meeting should be used for sharing information about our hobby, how to put bearing in your engine, body painting and such.

As far as work go's you get a lot more people to show up when not showing up gets in there pocket.
Sorry my spelling suks
Old 05-02-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

What a bummer...I've tried to talk Andy out of this but when he's done it's for good.His mind is made up and Outacontrol is no more...What do ya do? I want to say thanks to all the racers.You guys are the reason I worked as hard as I could to make sure the track was right.To the guys that helped with the track, thank you.It was good while it lasted........
Maybe someone will open another decent track in Orlando.God knows we need one....I will see you guys at the races.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by pete 26
What a bummer...I've tried to talk Andy out of this but when he's done it's for good.His mind is made up and Outacontrol is no more...What do ya do? I want to say thanks to all the racers.You guys are the reason I worked as hard as I could to make sure the track was right.To the guys that helped with the track, thank you.It was good while it lasted........
Maybe someone will open another decent track in Orlando.God knows we need one....I will see you guys at the races.
Pete looks like your on the way back to W.O.W raceway
Old 05-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

No,I don't like running on dusty sand...There might be another option before too long.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

Pete, youll allways have the BBQ shack.

Is that tamp for sale.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by pete 26
It's not over till the fat lady sings!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Adept

I really we ought to thank Andy himself for all the hard work. I know what it takes to keep a "dirt" outdoors track going. It's beyond the few hours anyone can spend here and there to help and then go home...

It's countless of hours of hard work, and when you're all done mother nature dumps a big one on you and you have to harness mental and physical strength to go back out and redo and sweat what you just had finished yesterday...
It's a tough pill to swallow trust me.... This past year has been EXCEPTIONALLY brutal in terms of rain prior to race weekend and I agree with Andy, it does take a toll on you...

Now if there was a bobcat on the premises and a lot of automation it would be a piece of cake but that is not the case, it's a little mowing tractor and a little trailer, shovels, rakes and a hand packer.... so labor intensive, one guy alone can't handle that on a continuous basis... RC tracks don't have the money or the resources to have that kind of equipment. I dream of owning a BobCat.... dream... that's for the physical part of it...

Then there's the bitching, the complaining, the constant nagging, the drama... the it's never good enough, what can I I I I I I myself, myself, myself can get out of this place. What no prizes? I aint racing there screw that!!! Helping them pfff forget that, the guy makes a killing at that track, I aint helping....

Well that track is now closed!!!!
So I ask of all of you that you actually preserve, cherish and support the few tracks that we have. Help, don't bitch, accept that it's a hobby and it's not always going to be perfect but at least we have a place to go to and have FUN...

I understand Andy and what he ALONE went through in terms of the sweat he has poured in his hobby shop and his track. I thank him for having a dream and for having a pair to bring it to reality.
You will never know if you don't try....
I respect the decision that he and his FAMILY made and no one, no one has the right to question or criticize that...
Old 05-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Addict

Let me start off by saying that this reply is not intended to offend anyone this is just observations that I have made over the past two or three years.

When I first started racing at Outacontrol raceway the track was new and there was always a pretty good size group of guys that helped out with the track work. I think there are a couple of reasons no one helps that much anymore.

When people do go out there to help if they are not doing something Andy's way (sorry Andy you are my friend and I am not trying to through you under the bus but this is just what I have seen and heard from others too.) then they get yelled at like they are one of his employees. I can name two times that I was out there trying to help out and got bit@$ed at for not doing things his way. When people are volunteering there time to help support the hobby you need to take what you get. If they are not doing something your way then kindly ask them do it your way or find something else for them to do.

Something else that bothers people is they have no say in the track layout at all. They are the ones paying you to race and some of there ideas should have been considered. I personally mentioned doing a back straight away one time to you and your response was people have a hard enough time going down the front straight. My question is why would you put a 30 foot triple on the back straight with a wall that is to short to contain the cars and a big tree to catch them if you go off the track. I think it is easier to go down a back straight than it is to try and line up with a triple that is 70 or 80 feet out.

I understand that this is your track and your money that supports the track, but the point I am trying to get across is that if you were a little easier to work with and let other peoples opinions count too than you might have had more help.

And Manny as far as there being just one guy doing all the work I can name two besides Andy that were always out there helping and one of them spent a lot of time out there by himself with no help. I am not going to say who but they know who I am talking about. I can tell you it was not me.

Again Andy I am not doing this to make you mad or piss you off and I hope you do not take it that way. This is just some things I have watched go on for sometime now and have heard from other racers out there as well.

Last edited by jammin32j; 05-03-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

Well can't be ALL the times, I've been by there a few time during work session with the last 2 before the FSORS and only saw Andy and his son doing work.
Surely you're not implying that others have done more work or the same amount than he has? are you?
As far as layout is concerned I am not a believer of democratic track design... it always turn into a disaster. We usually open a discussion, people can volunteer their opinions and graphs but whether or not they get incorporated is up to the final track designer. Because what you may think is good 8 other guys think it's not... it's like having 15 chiefs all wanting to design a turn or a jump and no Indians to do the work....
This is one thing that I've never understood, why do racers all think they ought to design race tracks? Why is it such a big thing? Personally I couldn't care less...
Old 05-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mannyo30
Well can't be ALL the times, I've been by there a few time during work session with the last 2 before the FSORS and only saw Andy and his son doing work.
Surely you're not implying that others have done more work or the same amount than he has? are you?
As far as layout is concerned I am not a believer of democratic track design... it always turn into a disaster. We usually open a discussion, people can volunteer their opinions and graphs but whether or not they get incorporated is up to the final track designer. Because what you may think is good 8 other guys think it's not... it's like having 15 chiefs all wanting to design a turn or a jump and no Indians to do the work....
This is one thing that I've never understood, why do racers all think they ought to design race tracks? Why is it such a big thing? Personally I couldn't care less...
Manny I am by no means implying that other people have done more work than Andy. There is a couple that have come close. But Andy has pored his heart and sole into this track. As far as the layouts go that is the way you see it. There is always going to be different opinions on layouts. I was just saying it would be nice especially if your out there busting your butt to have some say so in the matter.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

I feel I need to add my .02, if that's what it's worth. I've been racing at Andy's track since before he even had a timing system. There isn't anyone who can argue against what he has done for RC racing in Central Florida, or the State of Florida for that matter. I have a lot of respect for Andy and his family for what they've done. I've never seen another track, or series give away the caliber of prizes Andy worked to get. And no one can argue that he busted his butt to always have a quality racing surface and competitive layouts. Heck, most of us have seen him out there sponging water off the track to get a race in.

That being said, I can't help but agree w/ Jeremy. Most people, if they are volunteering their time would like to have their suggestions taken into consideration and not be treated like an employee.

My biggest gripe is that the Buggy championship is locked up already as a result of the series being shortened. A few guys were still in the hunt until that. What really burns about it is that the guy who is locked in quit racing so would have been out of it.

But, whats done is done. Pointing fingers and playing the blame game isn't gonna make these last two races very fun. I think what we should do is get as many ppl to come to the last races to have fun and show our appreciation for what Andy has done.....whether we agree w/ his methods or not. It's been a fun ride, and I think we should go out w/ a blast, not a fizzle.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

I agree we need to get as many people at these last couple of races and go out with a bang. I have always enjoyed Andy's track and it will sure be missed when it is gone.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Let me start off by saying that this reply is not intended to offend anyone this is just observations that I have made over the past two or three years.
Jeremy Davis, I did make allot of mistakes in the beginning. But I can say I learned from them. But now I know why you and your group of guys left Outacontrol to go build WOW and try and put me out of business. I'm guessing the owner of WOW didn't listen to your ideas either because the same group of guys including yourself left WOW and came back to Outacontrol. Jeremy, I can't believe you could say anything negative after getting your parts free and or below cost and racing for free. You have helped me allot and I have no regrets about our friendship. But apparently you do. As far as two guys working at the track as much as me. You have no clue. You are talking about Pete and Dan. Yes, they have done allot and I would have closed sooner without their help. But hour for hour it's not even close to half. There has been allot of guys that have worked VERY HARD at the track. I can say almost everyone that races at Outacontrol has helped at some point. I appreciated it very much. The track would never made it this far without their help. I am not saying in any way that I have done it all... Also Jeremy, My way must not be that bad or else we would be like the other local tracks. (sorry Jeremy you are my friend and I am not trying to through you under the bus but this is just what I have seen and heard from others too.)

Shawn Davis, Johnny Sanchez does not race at Outacontrol anymore and will be dropped from the final results.

Keep in mind guys, Outacontrol Raceway is closing because it isn't enough fun to justify me spending my time and money on it.

Sincerely,
Andy Ousley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.