Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jacksonville $1.7 Million Track Proposed

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Jacksonville $1.7 Million Track Proposed

The City of Jacksonville is having a Town Meeting Monday 17 March 2008 from 630pm - 8pm. Meeting will be held at the Maxville Library located at 8370 Maxville Rd. Jacksonville, FL. This should be the final discussion of funding (to the tune of 1.7 million dollars) for Maxville Park (vicinity of Normandy Blvd & Park St). Plans call for a 390' x 434' facility. This includes an official 300' Drag Strip as well as a 250' x 185' paved area for road racing (ovals and various track layouts). The driver stand will be handicapped accessible, night lighting the entire perimeter, parking for trailers and cars, and complete fencing system.
What is needed is people to show their support and to come to the meeting to get the final go ahead. This project has been in the works for some 4 years and is currently gone to blueprint stage. Please spread the word!!!!

I have copies of plans that are too large zipped to this Forum. If interested send E-Mail Request to: [email protected] w/ subj line of JaxTrack08 and I'll get them out.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jim g4
The City of Jacksonville is having a Town Meeting Monday 17 March 2008 from 630pm - 8pm. Meeting will be held at the Maxville Library located at 8370 Maxville Rd. Jacksonville, FL. This should be the final discussion of funding (to the tune of 1.7 million dollars) for Maxville Park (vicinity of Normandy Blvd & Park St). Plans call for a 390' x 434' facility. This includes an official 300' Drag Strip as well as a 250' x 185' paved area for road racing (ovals and various track layouts). The driver stand will be handicapped accessible, night lighting the entire perimeter, parking for trailers and cars, and complete fencing system.
What is needed is people to show their support and to come to the meeting to get the final go ahead. This project has been in the works for some 4 years and is currently gone to blueprint stage. Please spread the word!!!!

I have copies of plans that are too large zipped to this Forum. If interested send E-Mail Request to: [email protected] w/ subj line of JaxTrack08 and I'll get them out.

Thanks
I cannot wait!! You got mail!
Old 03-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Tech Adept

Default Weeeeeeeee

?

Last edited by David Butts; 03-13-2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Read on and judge for yourself
Old 03-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by David Butts
Thats good news but before some people get confused, Thats not Normandy blvd and Park St as in the intersections of Normandy Blvd, Park St. and Cassat Ave.

It's Normandy Blvd otherwise known as Fl St rd 228 a block or two east of Highway US 301(Park st) in Maxville Fl.

Keep us informed anyway as it's nice to know that there may be finally another pemanant track in the area. Kudos to those that are involved with making it happen.
The track sounds large enough for me to run my DM-ONE, and if it is I will probably invest in a 1/8 on road again. The closest place I know of right now to run is Tampa. I hope the track is made adaptable for several classes.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Regular

Here are a few track layouts I created for the paved space. All three could be created with a few movable barriers. Let me know what you think.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Adept

People you should consider this before supporting this on road venture. Had it not been for 20 or so local off road racers pulling things together to approach the city of Jax to revisit this project after being dead for 4 years it would still be dead!

After waiting patiently on the city for the promised off road track these guys slip in and somehow get the city to turn the clay into asphalt. There was about 30 off road racers that paid dues and formed a club as required by the city to get an off road track built and now it turns out it was a big waste of our time and money!

This is just plain dirty dealing if you ask me! So when we show up with muddy filthy 1/8th scale buggy, truggy or monster truck on race day you will have to let us race on your asphalt track right along with you.

I just think it's sad your taking advantage of this situation after the off road guys did 90% of the leg work. If you remember 4 years ago the guy that started this project with the city was an off road racer and was working on an off road track but his life was tragically cut short and for 4 years no one picked this up until last summer.

And to make this situation even more pathetic, the off road guys that started this last summer invited all the other hobby shops in the area to participate so every one could get a track at some point. You would think there would be enough gratitude and respect to allow us to finish what we start before throwing a wrench in the works.

This is a dirty deal and don't be surprised if their is not some off road racers at that meeting on the 17th to remind the city that that we started this project and that they need to lay some clay before they do any asphalt other than a parking lot.

Last edited by HookaMega; 03-13-2008 at 07:19 PM. Reason: innocent bystander?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

so you would rather there be no track than at least an on-road track? I can understand the frustration of working on something and then plans changing, but I can almost guarantee someone pushed to get this track to a vote with the city now not someone who worked on the deal 4 years ago. Why have the mindset that if I can't no one can?

Seems like we need less in-fighting among racers and more co-operation so that the hobby grows as a whole and doesn't turn into off-road vs. On-road.

just my .02

Butter
Old 03-13-2008, 12:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HookaMega
People you should consider this before supporting this on road venture. Had it not been for 20 or so local off road racers pulling things together to approach the city of Jax to revisit this project after being dead for 4 years it would still be dead!

After waiting patiently on the city for the promised off road track these guys slip in and somehow get the city to turn the clay into asphalt. There was about 30 off road racers that paid dues and formed a club as required by the city to get an off road track built and now it turns out it was a big waste of our time and money!

This is just plain dirty dealing if you ask me! So when we show up with muddy filthy 1/8th scale buggy, truggy or monster truck on race day you will have to let us race on your asphalt track right along with you.

I just think it's sad your taking advantage of this situation after the off road guys did 90% of the leg work. If you remember 4 years ago the guy that started this project with the city was an off road racer and was working on an off road track but his life was tragically cut short and for 4 years no one picked this up until last summer.

And to make this situation even more pathetic, the off road guys that started this last summer invited all the other hobby shops in the area to participate so every one could get a track at some point. You would think there would be enough gratitude and respect to allow us to finish what we start before throwing a wrench in the works.

This is a dirty deal on your part (Hobby Oasis) and don't be surprised if their is not some off road racers at that meeting on the 17th to remind the city that that we started this project and that they need to lay some clay before they do any asphalt other than a parking lot.
OH MY GOD!! Another Florida Scandle!

In the past 5 years I've been here in Florida, I have seen so much bickering over racing its sickning.

Before you go loosing your whits here, instead of bashing this all around like its an on-road Off-road issue, take a deep breath and approach this with an open mind. Be thankfull that thier is any intrest from the local government to do anything at all for the small sector of r/c hobby's. You go in to a meeting demanding "clay" with thier minds set on a tar sand lot, they will say OK, then we will roll it out and pave it and now you have your reason why.

Yes, I agree that it might have been a shafting if what you say is true, but if the local government did thier studies, and put a commity on it to look at this project. It was a lot more than who started what.

The first questions they might ask is:
How many off-road and on-road tracks are thier in the area?
What is successful about the programs that are already out thier?
What kind of ecconomic value can this produce for area businesses?

A word of advice, if you do show up with your muddy filthy 1/8th scale buggy, truggy or monster truck on race day, The race director will tell you to clean it first. If the City is going to spend the money to do this, enjoy it and find a way to use it. AND IF YOU RUN THAT BUGGY OR TRUGGY ON THE PAVEMENT, YOU ARE AN ONROAD RACER?

Somebody once said: "Can't we all just get along?" then came along R/C Racing

Last edited by rcfoolz; 03-13-2008 at 12:51 AM. Reason: wording...
Old 03-13-2008, 02:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Since we have a off-road with his panties in a wad I'll give some facts about our great city. First I was supprised at there was no mention of the off-road track. As the on-road part was going to be in the parking lot. Secondly Alan was a very big paved oval racer and the combination of both oval and on-road along with off-road was what he was working on. I went to all the meetings when we were discussing this and saw his plans.
As for this ever getting done by the city- when it freezes down stairs. this city had the money in a "lock box". But since all the short coming of funds they are looking for anyway to use the money elsewhere. There is a small neighbhood park that has been proposed in my neighborhoods - right across the street from my house. It too had money in the "lock box". Construction was supposed to start back in November. They were going to spend in the 1st phase 1 million.The land is still sitting there like it's been for years.
Having gone to other city meetings to get feed back for the people is a JOKE.This would include the last time the city took the old r/c park and made it into a passive park. They ran the club in circles to find property that they knew would never become an r/c park.
This latest example of having everyone show up 40 plus miles from my house to go to a meeting that the city is just looking for an excuse to say there is not enough demand to build this and the money will be spend on the other short falling of the city is coming. If I'm wrong fine- I'll go race if they race on Sundays if not I'll do what I've been doing on Sundays.These are the facts that I've seen with our city over the years and gone to the meetings and was the one that got the first r/c park in this city.
Bill Fraden
Old 03-13-2008, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

Well the gist of the problem here is that after the local off road track closed down the off road guys re-opened a dialog with the city on the Maxville park. The city required us to form a non profit organization, a club and elect officials before moving forward. This Organization was to be the entity the city was to work on this project with to reopen it and complete it. All the requirements requested by the city were fulfilled and submitted by the efforts of the off road guys.

Most all of the locals that spent their own time an money to form the club, elect officers and create a non profit org were off road racers. There were very few on road guys if any that would participate. Most of them displayed the attitude that if and when the city builds an asphalt track THEN they would join in the club and support it.

Now the news floating around is that there will be an on road track built in place of what was supposed to be an off road in which is being spear headed by some on road guys that where not held to the same requirements as everyone else.

This is not a matter of on road vs off road or whether someone has their panties in a wad or not but rather a matter of doing whats right. As I mentioned before, had it not been for the efforts of the off road guys then this Maxville project would still be sitting in a box collecting dust. We played by the rules and provided what was required by the city and now that Maxville is back on the books the guys that had little or no interest last summer to work and make it happen are jumping to the front of the line with their hands out.

I support the idea of an on road track at Maxville but the problem is that Group A and Group B were not both held to the same standards in order to play in the game. all I am asking is that if you guys want an on road track then go register your non profit, form a club and vote in your officers THEN get in line. The only thing that is going to disrupt this project is the fact that one or two on road guys decided to slide in at the last minute and take over rather than following protocol like everyone else.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TeamButter
but I can almost guarantee someone pushed to get this track to a vote with the city now not someone who worked on the deal 4 years ago
Your correct Butter, We (the off road racers) pushed this into the city to vote on and have been waiting for better than 6 months for the city budgets and things to come back around so we can get them to fund this project that had already been approved but lay dead in the water for a few years due to lack of demand for it.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Your correct Butter, We (the off road racers) pushed this into the city to vote on and have been waiting for better than 6 months for the city budgets and things to come back around so we can get them to fund this project that had already been approved but lay dead in the water for a few years due to lack of demand for it.
I'm confused...you guys did this 4 years ago and it lay dead in the water since due to lack of demand? Or are you saying you have been waiting for the previous 6 months from now?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I hear you man. BELIEVE me!!! We have sort of a similar situation down here with Parks and Recs regarding empty promises. I sincerely hope the track(s)both on-road and off-road get built for the Jacksonville crew. However, seeing first hand how local governments jerk you around, it doesn't look good. It's always the same $hit.."Well we had to use the money for the new this or that" or " We just don't feel there is a big enough demand for that kind of investment" BLAH BLAH BLAH!!

Keep fighting and keep pushing for it guys...

Best of luck!!!

Buttter
Old 03-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I got some real big new for you- the on-road guys which would have be me did not join your group because you we going to have an off-road first and then race on-road in the parking lot-period. So before you start telling everyone the on-road guys did this and that get your facts straight. The only orginal plans were from Alan that had anything close to want is now proposed.Harry was the one in charge of this project and spent his own money incorperating this group .Harry was the leader of this group. Everyone of your officers quit and Harry gave Matt all the paperwork afew weeks ago. That's a fact. So when you come on here and start telling everyone the on-road guys did this and that your flat out WRONG.The off-road guys started this project and since it is the city of jacksonville go blame them for the screw up.But then you don't have to worry about it since it's not going to be built anyway. The city wants the money for the police or whatever the big short fall in the budget is next- that you can take to the bank.
I'm not scare to sign my name either- Bill Fraden
Not like Hookamega??????????????????????????

Last edited by BullFrog; 03-13-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Tech Rookie

I do not see why we can't have both types of tracks at this part. I can back-up the offroad guys in saying they started last year with the city. I'm in no way saying other were not involved 4 years ago (I would not know, was not in it then).

So let's all work together on this and get a track for everyone. I would probably consider getting a on-road car, but off-road is my first choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.