Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree507Likes

Tamiya M-07 Concept

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 08:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by GerryH
I'm looking for a carpet tire for racing that's an alternative to the Ride TCS tires. I've used Sweeps and Solaris in the past but the tire diameter is smaller which puts me at a speed disadvantage. They are 56mm vs Tamiya's 60mm. I can't find diameter specs on Rush or Volante.

Does anyone know what the tire diameter is for these? Or can recommend a 60mm tire?
i know for sure that rush are 56mm and I think the volante are too

Last edited by Sinfull; 05-07-2021 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sinfull
i know for sure that rides are 56mm and I think the volante are too
Ride inch ups are 60D, they're bigger than most other brands. Rush/Volante/Sweep/Shimizu and most other brands are around 55mm.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:19 AM
Tech Initiate

So I have an M07R with every available hop up and tuning option from Tamiya.

We have just got a new club track nearby (carpark, brand new freshly laid smooth asphalt. Is a small windy technical circuit) that I plan to race at. UK based so track temperatures will usually be cooler (maybe 18-22°C)

I will be running a lipo battery with a 17.5 brushless motor. All components and hop ups are to be Tamiya.

My question is what would be a good base setup to start with?

Regarding tires and inserts, would it be best to have softer compound on the front or rear?
Tire inserts medium all round or soft?
Springs softer in the front or rear?

Anything you could advise on would be a great help, just looking for a good starting point and will tweak and adjust as required..

Many thanks!
Old 05-10-2021, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Kit settings are perfect to start with.

Tyres, harder on the front, normally the softest you can find on the rear, the Sweep EXP mini tyres have been quite popular in the UK outdoors AFAIK, you can also go with the Tamiya tyres (M-Grips or S-Grips, M's are harder and can go on the front).

To be honest there are so many options with tyres it can get very complicated, especially if you allow people to build sets with their own inserts. Fixed gearing is a minefield if you are allowing different tyre diameters. Same with the motor choice if you are going to use 17.5s. I'd run the cars with a sealed brushed motor personally, and a limited tyre list, pre-mounts from the same manufacturer.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

I drive front and rear s grip with front glued side wall, m grip I don`t use any more. Tire Inserts depends on heat and track (soft, medium and hard), at special rear wheels you can use often or put them in the front after one race weeked... In front and rear I drive as soft as possible as hard as necessary, so you would need all options on springs but out of box the springs are ok. IMO Body is important, I use Mazda2 and Swift mostly, MX5 and oders dont work as good for me... I think the higher Bodys regenerate more rolling in the chassis and because of the glued sidewalls there ist no problem of liftings wheels or fliping...
Old 05-11-2021, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Generally speaking, batteries are low in the car. Reducing weight low in the car, raises the CG. Shorties are just as tall, and don't help that. LCG packs do.
I find shorty pack centralizes the weight laterally which reduces roll as well as being lighter. Regular packs work well too but I don't find the regular to be advantageous over shorties
Old 05-11-2021, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Sinfull
i know for sure that rush are 56mm and I think the volante are too
Rush are 56mm and have a big air gap. They work well and have good tire life, Even though they are shorter than the tamiya 60mm, the tamiya tires are squared off and have a higher sidewall, which might be why they don't necessarily handle better. The rush and sweeps handle better and have longer life than tamiya tires in my experience (on any surface).

Old 05-11-2021, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by quantum
Rush are 56mm and have a big air gap. They work well and have good tire life, Even though they are shorter than the tamiya 60mm, the tamiya tires are squared off and have a higher sidewall, which might be why they don't necessarily handle better. The rush and sweeps handle better and have longer life than tamiya tires in my experience (on any surface).

Only issue with a smaller tire is FDR . Max pinion in a M07 is a 24 so you'll need to squeeze a 26
in there somehow, just to keep up the speed..
Old 05-12-2021, 04:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalcrafter
Only issue with a smaller tire is FDR . Max pinion in a M07 is a 24 so you'll need to squeeze a 26
in there somehow, just to keep up the speed..
Where I race we're only allowed a 20T pinion. I've tested the ride inch ups vs the smaller tyres. Lap times were no faster with the 60D, they had a bit more speed at the end of the straight but weren't as quick in the corners. Your motor and track will affect which is faster but don't immediately assume bigger is better.
quantum likes this.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Bought it just over 2 years ago. Figured it was finally time.
gigaplex and V8 Rumble like this.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Where I race we're only allowed a 20T pinion. I've tested the ride inch ups vs the smaller tyres. Lap times were no faster with the 60D, they had a bit more speed at the end of the straight but weren't as quick in the corners. Your motor and track will affect which is faster but don't immediately assume bigger is better.
totally agree - this was my experience as well.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:59 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Think I like it

Old 05-13-2021, 07:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This thread has been pretty active lately. I'll have to dust off my 07 and refresh it. 2019 tcs at Jackson NJ was the last run.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by V8 Rumble
This thread has been pretty active lately. I'll have to dust off my 07 and refresh it. 2019 tcs at Jackson NJ was the last run.
Mini's are an absolute blast to drive & watch . We typically have 5-6 show up on Wednesday night's in Chicago.
Pity it's hard to find decent mini bodies though .
Nerobro and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

They have this new yaris which looks good https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/190mm...gr-yaris/none/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.