Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree759Likes

Mugen MTC1

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MTC1
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: liljohn1064
Mugen MTC1 Wiki:

MTC1 Manual on the Mugen Web Site.

Correction for the manual

The max/min tooth count of the spur and pinion combined.

64p = 127 to 164 total teeth

48p = 95 to 120 total teeth

People who have spare spur gears left over from other cars which they wish to use but can only utilize 2 of the 4 mounting holes, here's neat trick from MKAH to drill 2 more holes precisely in the spur gear:

1.Dismantle the Spur Holder and mount XRAY Spur with two screws.

2.If you have take a 3mm Top Setting Screw

3.Get the Top Screw in the first free thread to the Spur Holder from the other side until it touches the Spur a litle bit.
Make the same with the second free Thread.

4.Dismantle Top set Srew an the two screws witch holds the Spur on the Holder.
Now you see two marks absolutely central.

5. Take an 3mm Driller an Drill the holes at the marked places

6.Mount the Spur with the two old and two new holes on the Spur.

Spur Gears known to fit the gear holder with the correct hole pattern

1. Axon
2. Panaracer

Upper front arm hinge pin set screw tip (or any of the kit set screws):

When installing the set screw run the set screw in until you can see it come into the hinge pin gap. Back the screw out and make sure there is no flashing in the way and then the screw. Now slide the pin in and you should hit the pin and come to a dead stop. It will be a solid feel and not sloppy like it will not tighten which is caused by any loose plastic.

Hara's Setup

Robert Pietsch's Latest Carpet Setup

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 02:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
Does it need 4 screws? On my old Kyosho TF4-R the spur is also screwed with 2 screws and even with a modified motor no issues.
I personally would prefer 4. If I was in a pinch and couldn't find a spur to fit... I'd run 2 just to get back on the track.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I finished my build on Saturday, but am being quiet. It may be several weeks before I get to run it.

1. The servo mount had a little extra material on one of the chassis pins. A small amount of filing and it fit perfectly.
2. As everyone else has noticed, the spur screws just tap the upper deck, so I think I'll take material off the upper deck instead of messing with screws. Then I know I'll have clearance even if I have to dig into my screw box for a spare.
3. The other one that got me was the plastic servo bushings and the aluminum battery bushings (bevelled washers). I had used the alloy ones on the servo and had to swap them back.

Personal mistake: I put the sway bars on the wrong ends for a second and the rear arms on backwards just by picking the wrong end of the car up first.

I installed one of the black edition shorty Savox servos and the edge of the fin lined up perfectly with the servo mount. Lucky there as I didn't have to modify the inner mounting tab. I still have to finish electronics installation mount the new Sorex 28s and finish the body. Right now I'm planning on running the default config with the body back working toward a grey ozite carpet setup. I have the carpet config in hand, but feel it is more for Black carpet than Grey.

As a note, I believe the manual has been corrected as I received no inserts with corrections.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Unspoiled
I personally would prefer 4. If I was in a pinch and couldn't find a spur to fit... I'd run 2 just to get back on the track.
Spur gear is fine wth 2 screws I have been running 2 screws in all my Schumacher's from the Mi3-to the Mi6Evo never had any issues (in mod) plus the schumacher screws areceven smaller than those of X-ray and Mugen
lbckevin likes this.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:10 PM
Regional Moderator

I have no idea why you guys are making such a big deal over spur gears...is it really that hard to get one that fits with the right mounting holes?
Old 09-18-2017, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by disaster999
I have no idea why you guys are making such a big deal over spur gears...is it really that hard to get one that fits with the right mounting holes?
lol true i think it was 3 or so pages regarding the spurs lol
Old 09-18-2017, 05:30 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
3. The other one that got me was the plastic servo bushings and the aluminum battery bushings (bevelled washers). I had used the alloy ones on the servo and had to swap them back.
Actually the plastic counter sink washer that goes on the servo have a "locating pin" that fits into the hole of the servo ear so the servo doesn't slide around if you crash. You can use regular countersink washers and just crank down on the screw really hard but over time it will deform the plastic ears.

Get these if you want to upgrade them to aluminum.
https://www.rc-tworks.com/products/ta-031
Old 09-18-2017, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof
Does it need 4 screws? On my old Kyosho TF4-R the spur is also screwed with 2 screws and even with a modified motor no issues.
1/8e cars (pretty much all of them) use 3 screws the same size and they have some serious power and a much heavier car to shift.

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
lol true i think it was 3 or so pages regarding the spurs lol
Hey, we are very serious about our toy cars.

I still don't understand why Mugen goes to all this effort to make sure the chassis is symmetric left to right (even mirroring the motor cutout on the RH side) and then goes and drills the chassis for the battery holder.

For spur screws try to find some of the screws in the Tamiya TRF kits, the heads are a hair lower and clear the deck fine. Alternatively, shim the spur holder a tad to the left.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by disaster999
Every car thread on here has pages and pages of spur gear talk. You could make a subsection on it.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:38 AM
Gko
Tech Rookie

If I need a final drive ratio of about 6,5 do you think a 23T pinion and a 88T spurs (48DP) will make correct contact or they may have a gap? (88/23*1,7=6,5)
Thanks
Old 09-19-2017, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Are you trying to decide whether to buy the car or not based on what ratios are accessible?

Hint: even if a 23/88 pair won't fit, you can have the same ratio with another combo that will fit.

And what you are calculating there is not the FDR, it is the gear ratio, by the way. Your FDR for a gear ratio of 6.5 would be 0.1538.

Last edited by niznai; 09-19-2017 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:46 AM
Gko
Tech Rookie

No, i just would like to order the correct spur together with the car, as it is not included.
As i already have a 23T pinion, i just asked if someone have tested this pinion/spur combination.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

I see. You think you're only ever going to use one pinion?

If that combo fit in your car(s) before, I would hazard a guess it will fit in this one.

But you would want a range of pinions/spurs anyway, why not order a few around that gear ratio?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:01 AM
MGU
Tech Adept

I remember that I saw a colored gearchart somewhere, maybe even in this thread which shows all the compatible pinion - spur combinations, but for the life of me I cannot find it right now.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

You can work it out, no need to find one.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

http://www.mugenseiki.com/images/mtc...art%20MTC1.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.