Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
AMB Personal Transponders...Too Expensive? >

AMB Personal Transponders...Too Expensive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMB Personal Transponders...Too Expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 05:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by XMSRacing
You, my friend, are a moron.
Thanks for opinion
Old 12-30-2005, 05:40 AM
Tech Regular

ferraris are better now in term of quality but a european (German) ford focus would be better built. And way more reliable.
I also know the Mcalren mercedes eat driveshafts for breakfast.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:48 AM
Tech Regular

I think the reason no one else has been able to come up with a cheaper version of a PT is because the software within the lap counting system. Unless AMB allows others to view it, or someone reverse engineers ones or looks into it(which is hard to do because how it is encased under that thin red cover), it will not be done. Doing those are not as easy as people think. Just take DODGE for example, to improve the performance by means of the computer, you must go through DODGE because HYPERTECH or other aftermarket programmers do not work(and if they do it is for the older cars only, nothing within the past couple years) because it is how the program is written and how it is stored that makes it hard as heck to decipher. I just find it hard to believe that the cost to produce these is still going up when the technology is getting older.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

"You guys have missed the biggest cost factor in the whole price jump....OUR US DOLLAR isn't worth what it was worth 5yrs. ago...... Thanks you Mr. Clinton for free trade........"

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

Looks like the Euro/dollar is pretty close. Also remember that the Euro has only been around for 5 years. At the highest point the Euro/dollar rate was about $1.60/ 1 euro. The cost of transponders are climbing and it doesn't seem to have much to do with the global economy. I think I read that they actually pay more for them in Europe but I can't remember if that's right. It's simply supply and demand. They have the monopoly and they will continue to raise the price until the sales drop off.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Davidka
......... It's simply supply and demand. They have the monopoly and they will continue to raise the price until the sales drop off.
I like your economic explaination. I think that is the case.

AMB have unique product protected by patents & copyrights. AMB can produce whatever they want, in this case limited production and let the price increase until the sales drop off.

So guys..... too bad, no one can beat the market system.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think I would personally THANKS AMB by not upgrading, updating or uploading a new version of PT or counting system every week/month/year like those RC car company does....(and I understand why they do it, and I have no problem for them to do it as long as I didn't buy their latest products 2 weeks before their prototype pictures released........oh wait, I did, I brought a new FK05 3 weeks before their release thier new T2...damn.)
Old 12-30-2005, 10:54 AM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imprsme
Well I hate to be the one to break it to you...... But that staement is true in just about everything YOU/I/WE buy in todays world! So you think that Subway has $7 in every sub they sell? Do you Bithch when you walk in? Or that Goodyear has $200 in everytire they produce? Well I have A LOT OF FAMILY that work at the local Goodyear plant here..... ONE TIRE cost Goodyear about $4 to produce! But the last time I checked YOU AIN'T BUYING IT FOR THAT!

How much do you really think it cost to MASS produce that computer you are looking at right now? I bet it cost the company no more than $20 to produce it, did you BITCH to them about the price when you bought it......NO! Oh and BTW your computer was "out of date" the very next day! MY/OUR AMB PT isn't! LOL

OH and for the BIGGIE...... I bet you called up Exxon/ Amoco/BP/Texaco a few months ago and gave them HELL, huh?
Hey if your ok blindly agreeing with everything out there... thats awesome the world needs you people... Some of us think for ourselves. Also your comparisons are completely off base. theres TONS... millions of dollars that go into R+D for most of the products you listed.

How much R/D goes into foam R/C tires? couple thousand a year at the most ? (in strictly R/D on a specific compound). And I have many links wiht the likes of AMD, Dell, HP and Micron... since in a past life I used to do some for a couple of those companies, and the cost of mass producing a motherboard is pretty damn high. I think dells margin is something like 10 or 15% they get by with volume. You need to take into account licensing costs for everything. Companies not only need to buy the hardware, but also license the technology for certain aspects (such as Firewire ports, etc...)
Old 12-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

You guys have missed the biggest cost factor in the whole price jump....OUR US DOLLAR isn't worth what it was worth 5yrs. ago...... Thanks you Mr. Clinton for free trade........
Now that's funny, according to you Bill Clinton is responsible for the dollar not being worth as much since he's left the white house ? I always thought Pdt Bush was the one who lowered the interests rate so as to drop the value of the Dollar in order to try and boost exportations. But what do I know I'm from europe i don't know anything about US politics .
Old 12-30-2005, 11:01 AM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

greenspan lowered the interest rates not bush.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Clegg
greenspan lowered the interest rates not bush.
What difference does it make, he was still pdt at the time, not Clinton.

Regarding Transponder's prices, we pay them more than you do here so stop complaining. Actually in europe we pay everything more than you do regarding RC stuff so why don't you just stop moaning all of you ?
Old 12-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

If its so easy why isn't there a TON of other companies jumping on the lap counting system/pt bandwagon? If the cost to return was SO GREAT I am sure that the other electronics Companies have the knowledge to make and produce a workable system......
I think getting sued into the ground also has something to do with it....

I already admitted AMB is smart. They probably designed it to where only their transponder or a direct copy would be able to work with the systems and if you make a direct copy and sell it without AMB's permish chances are they'll sue the everloving crap out of you

Don't suggest other hobbies to me. I didn't need a list of hobbies from my shrink to "reduce stress" or crap like that. I do this stuff because I'm a racer. I race anything that resembles a car and win with it no matter how much money you or I have into it It's in my blood
Old 12-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default qc2, not enough power for pt?

Originally Posted by Smoking motor..
civic it not missing laps, the bec is not able to power the transponder, anda 6v servo I assume your using. This is a common problem with lrp quantum 2 's as it cannot supply the current to power both the pt and servo. I had the same problem you are talking about but it is the speedcontroler you are using.
A simple fix is to use some caps in series to stop the pt losing power it has been mentioned on the forum before.
Though I didn't do that as my quantum died and i got a ko and it has never missed laps since then.
This is only a problem when running 4 cells, correct? (1/12th) I run GT7's and QC2's, but I just bought pt's for all my vehicles and am now concerned about this. I race off-road 1/10 truck & buggy (6 cells obviously), so is this something I need to address? Thanks in advnce for any help!
Old 12-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I race 12th with a PT and have no problems. I do run a cap on my reciever though.

-Frank
Old 12-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FrankW
I race 12th with a PT and have no problems. I do run a cap on my reciever though.

-Frank
sorry, I'm not sure where you mean. Can you explain what type/size and exactly where to put it? (pic if possible) Wired in series, correct? Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run a spektrum system, so I use one of their factory caps (4700 micro-farad) plugged into the battery slot.

-Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.