Search

The Drift Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)
Default Looking for advice from Drift experts

Like the title says!

I've got an HPI Pro2 that I tried drifting at our carpet track with some other guys. My problem is that the car does not want to recover from a drift (meaning bring the rear end back behind the front). I let two other guys who had the current HPI drifter drive my car and they both said the same thing. I watch them drive and they can easily bring the rear back with their cars but not with mine.

So my question is: what kind of suspension or tuning changes do you make to get better control of the rear?

I'm using the black ABS pipe for my drift tires, if that makes a difference.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Default hayuffff!!!

jst wana comment on the poser thing... lets jst drift and c hus d poser...
Old 12-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man
Like the title says!

I've got an HPI Pro2 that I tried drifting at our carpet track with some other guys. My problem is that the car does not want to recover from a drift (meaning bring the rear end back behind the front). I let two other guys who had the current HPI drifter drive my car and they both said the same thing. I watch them drive and they can easily bring the rear back with their cars but not with mine.

So my question is: what kind of suspension or tuning changes do you make to get better control of the rear?

I'm using the black ABS pipe for my drift tires, if that makes a difference.
Tighten your front diffs.

Check out this tutorial on setups for more info: http://www.drccentral.com/old/rc-drift-setup.html
Old 12-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kang45
Does the HPI D Box work? I skimmed the thread and could not tell? Any recommened tweeks? I have converted my tc3 to a drifter.
dont waste ur money on an hpi dbox...i used to run a tc3, and @ rcdriftclub's drift series, i placed 3rd in Advanced class. well its not just the car its also the driver (mainly driver )

usually...people who ask me about drifting and already have a TC3, i usually tell them to get a spool(for the rear), get some hpi type-t tires. adjust their camber -2 in the front. -1 in the back.(i ran more..but i suggest -2 and-1 to beginners) about 1 degree of toe in in the rear. run soft springs (i ran silvers up front, golds in the back) and run 30wt oil for the shocks. adjust the front diff to the liking(ball diff), and its pretty much a dialed setup (for me atleast..) and what i ran was a universal tire setup. which means i used yokomo single rings, yokomo double rings, hpi type Ts, hpi type As, RPDs, and other tires. no abs (iono why.just dont like it)
Old 12-04-2007, 02:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yea when my TA05 was my main drifter (now switched to an RS4 rally) I had my rear diff semi tight and my front diff just a hair tighter. I also ran 30wt all around.

Three hole pistons with soft springs and two hole pistons and hard springs in the back. It didn't really matter what tire I threw on because the thing was so dialed in it just felt like butter.

oh and I threw in Lipos for my pack. Tons of punch even with a 19T motor.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

Click the image above for all the details..(please register if you have not already!)

no im not twinkays. lol

Last edited by Valentin.H; 12-07-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

WOW, if you love drifting and you love girls this thread is heaven
Old 12-09-2007, 02:04 AM
Tech Adept

what is the best chassis for drifting, can anyone input thanks
Old 12-09-2007, 02:50 AM
Tech Elite

There are drift specific kits available from Yokomo and Tamiya but any 4wd chassis will work with a good set of drift tyres.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:45 AM
Tech Adept

those girls are pretty nasty actually...

Originally Posted by shawn17
WOW, if you love drifting and you love girls this thread is heaven
Old 12-09-2007, 05:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by fred71
what is the best chassis for drifting, can anyone input thanks
seen all sorts of high-end touring car kit being converted to drift machines.

guess it depends on how you set the car up. all kits are equally good if you can/know how to drift.

i might be wrong, but that's just my 2cents worth
Old 12-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Guys, I've decided to give drifting a try. After watching a few youtube movies it looks really fun. I remember the day when TC bodies used to look like real cars, glad to see them come back! My current ride is a Losi JRXS-R, and from what I understand I need to run a locked rear diff, front ball, or oneway diff. Stiffen the rear springs, and softer fronts. What about sway bars? How much stiffer should I make the rear spring? 17lb? 20lb? more? right now its 12lb rear, 15lb front for normal TC of course. How about gearing the car. Right now it has a novak 13.5, but is the goal to try to get max RPM, or torque to keep the wheels on the bus going around? Any general set-up info that I'm forgetting would be appreciated.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by hobbipro
Guys, I've decided to give drifting a try. After watching a few youtube movies it looks really fun. I remember the day when TC bodies used to look like real cars, glad to see them come back! My current ride is a Losi JRXS-R, and from what I understand I need to run a locked rear diff, front ball, or oneway diff. Stiffen the rear springs, and softer fronts. What about sway bars? How much stiffer should I make the rear spring? 17lb? 20lb? more? right now its 12lb rear, 15lb front for normal TC of course. How about gearing the car. Right now it has a novak 13.5, but is the goal to try to get max RPM, or torque to keep the wheels on the bus going around? Any general set-up info that I'm forgetting would be appreciated.

Put those 15 lb springs in the rear and the 12 lb ones in the front. Still, those springs are too stiff but you'll get it drifting. If you can, get some Yokomo Titanium springs which come in soft, medium and hard but all are probably less than 10 lbs.

If you don't want to buy a spool, you really don't have to. Just tighten your diffs and have the front 1/8 - 1/4 looser than the rear. That's usually a good starting point.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by razzor
There are drift specific kits available from Yokomo and Tamiya but any 4wd chassis will work with a good set of drift tyres.
Don't forget HPI with their Sprint2 kits and the E10 which is an entry level kit.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RC Guru
dont waste ur money on an hpi dbox...i used to run a tc3, and @ rcdriftclub's drift series, i placed 3rd in Advanced class. well its not just the car its also the driver (mainly driver )

usually...people who ask me about drifting and already have a TC3, i usually tell them to get a spool(for the rear), get some hpi type-t tires. adjust their camber -2 in the front. -1 in the back.(i ran more..but i suggest -2 and-1 to beginners) about 1 degree of toe in in the rear. run soft springs (i ran silvers up front, golds in the back) and run 30wt oil for the shocks. adjust the front diff to the liking(ball diff), and its pretty much a dialed setup (for me atleast..) and what i ran was a universal tire setup. which means i used yokomo single rings, yokomo double rings, hpi type Ts, hpi type As, RPDs, and other tires. no abs (iono why.just dont like it)
The TC3 made for a good drifter. Its weight actually allowed it to carry further on long sweeping drifts. I miss mine.

I went further with softening my suspension by going withg Yokomo titanium softs and Yokomo titanium Mediums in the rear.

I used to run ABS but now after discovering other tires, I've totally dropped them (except for on carpet) I use T drifts but I'd love to get my hands on some RPDs and give those a spin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.