Wiki Posts
Search

The Drift Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kaifd3s
My Yok's, just had to add my Goose in the pic too....LOL...I love these cars...

Still need to paint a couple of bodies..

Jealous! look at those chassis! :drool:
Old 06-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Question for the pro's want to get into drifting was looking at the tamiya tb03vds or the xray t3r . ANy suggestions shaft vs belt when it comes to drifting? Also what do you guys set your ride height at while drifting and any droop if any? I want to get into comps with drifting..

thanks for the help
Old 06-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by transplantlife
Question for the pro's want to get into drifting was looking at the tamiya tb03vds or the xray t3r . ANy suggestions shaft vs belt when it comes to drifting? Also what do you guys set your ride height at while drifting and any droop if any? I want to get into comps with drifting..

thanks for the help
from belt or shaft its really all preference, my yokomo type c is shaft and its more than capable also less maintenance as far as not having a belt. we typically don't run droop screws but some do depending on surface but mainly no need to. the tamiya vds is a great car and so is the t3r, its all up to your parts availability and of course if your gonna want to do a counter steer mod
Old 06-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by derbrylac
from belt or shaft its really all preference, my yokomo type c is shaft and its more than capable also less maintenance as far as not having a belt. we typically don't run droop screws but some do depending on surface but mainly no need to. the tamiya vds is a great car and so is the t3r, its all up to your parts availability and of course if your gonna want to do a counter steer mod
thanx for the tip
Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Vdf gold

Harlow everyone.need help in setting a tamiya
VDF gold edition for drifting.currently m using a stock
Vdf which has nt yet install e cs kit.running on 4wd.
So wats e best set up etc:camber,ride height,suspension etc....
Using Hobbywing Justock esc 45A n 10.5t bl motor.
Hope anyone cn give me advise on e set up.
Thxxxx
Old 06-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

New wiring Tell us What you think! (crappy phone pics :/) And yes thats real black 14awg wire, not heatshrink

Old 07-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I'm getting into drifting so I can mess around in front of my house and maybe every now and then race it Oval. I'm going to get the Xray T3R and I was curious if you guys could help me out with a few questions? (I've been mostly sct 4x4 and 1/8 off road racer)
-I notice that it says 190mm bodies but most nice tuner car bodies I've seen are 200mm?

-What are some good tires and black rims that will fit good with 200mm if the 200mm bodies will work curious as I have noticed a lot of different offsets?

-What is a good brushless motor setup for drifting? Is sensor Esc important for drifting?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Tech Initiate

I have a yokomo dib with full hop ups, but hey guys a little help here on the ecu, engine and servo setup for an aggressive driver. Any recommendations?

P.S: Using Sanwa mt4
Old 07-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mxer59
I'm getting into drifting so I can mess around in front of my house and maybe every now and then race it Oval. I'm going to get the Xray T3R and I was curious if you guys could help me out with a few questions? (I've been mostly sct 4x4 and 1/8 off road racer)
-I notice that it says 190mm bodies but most nice tuner car bodies I've seen are 200mm?

-What are some good tires and black rims that will fit good with 200mm if the 200mm bodies will work curious as I have noticed a lot of different offsets?

-What is a good brushless motor setup for drifting? Is sensor Esc important for drifting?
The Xray will drift, but it's not ideal - too stiff overall. I ran a t2009 for a year, spent many hours modding expensive CVDs to get more steering lock and eventually sold it off for a proper drifter. For 50:50, it really doesn't matter what you get, so long as it has camber/caster/toe adjustment. If you want to run CS in the future; massive steering lock (45-50* is ideal, front/midship motor placement is ideal).

I prefer a belt drive - nicer sound, no torque steer and more options for CS ratios. With the exception of HPI Sprint, all belts are identical pitch/width (Spring is 5mm width, standard is 3mm width).
OTA-R31
Yokomo DRB/DIB
Tamiya TA-05/VDF
MST FS-01/MS-01
etc...

Checkout broadtech.hk for eagle racing parts - very cost effective carbon conversions etc.. You can easily build a VDF clone for under $200 this way (use the TA-05 conversion set, add arms, shocks etc..)

For wheels, I like R2hobbies.com - lots of selection and resonable shipping for an overseas place. Their t-drift knockoffs are a good value, but not as sticky if you're drifting on polished concrete.

RE width - most chassis are 190mm width. You can easily run a 200mm body by running wheels with bigger offset (generally 6mm front, 9mm rear) or just use a wider hub hex.

RE sensored - definately reccomended. You want smooth power at all ranges. I like to run Novak gear - made and designed in the USA! Awesome warranty to boot. I have GTB2 and 8.5t ballistic, never gets warm and I'm geared down to 4.0 with ~%60CS. 8.5t-13.5t is a good range. Smaller turn motor if you run on larger tracks with long sweepers.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by multi-bash
The Xray will drift, but it's not ideal - too stiff overall. I ran a t2009 for a year, spent many hours modding expensive CVDs to get more steering lock and eventually sold it off for a proper drifter. For 50:50, it really doesn't matter what you get, so long as it has camber/caster/toe adjustment. If you want to run CS in the future; massive steering lock (45-50* is ideal, front/midship motor placement is ideal).

I prefer a belt drive - nicer sound, no torque steer and more options for CS ratios. With the exception of HPI Sprint, all belts are identical pitch/width (Spring is 5mm width, standard is 3mm width).
OTA-R31
Yokomo DRB/DIB
Tamiya TA-05/VDF
MST FS-01/MS-01
etc...

Checkout broadtech.hk for eagle racing parts - very cost effective carbon conversions etc.. You can easily build a VDF clone for under $200 this way (use the TA-05 conversion set, add arms, shocks etc..)

For wheels, I like R2hobbies.com - lots of selection and resonable shipping for an overseas place. Their t-drift knockoffs are a good value, but not as sticky if you're drifting on polished concrete.

RE width - most chassis are 190mm width. You can easily run a 200mm body by running wheels with bigger offset (generally 6mm front, 9mm rear) or just use a wider hub hex.

RE sensored - definately reccomended. You want smooth power at all ranges. I like to run Novak gear - made and designed in the USA! Awesome warranty to boot. I have GTB2 and 8.5t ballistic, never gets warm and I'm geared down to 4.0 with ~%60CS. 8.5t-13.5t is a good range. Smaller turn motor if you run on larger tracks with long sweepers.
Thanks what car would you recommend for drift part time little oval maybe?
- also a good place to get one?
I use to run all Novak aswell
Old 07-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks what car would you recommend for drift part time little oval maybe?
- also a good place to get one?
I use to run all Novak aswell
I'd say a standard TA-05. With batteries on one side and electrics on the other, it makes an excellent oval car. At least that's what I'd like to think. My buddies cousin has one and it's not too bad at drifting.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Are the HPI Sprint 2 Flux with different tires pretty decent cars?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Tech Regular

Yes. Or so I've heard. Sorry I can't be more help but the drift thread here is kinda not happening. But yah, more people seem to prefer the Sprint over the E10.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Lock the rear diff and experiment with what tires work best on the surface you're running on - id suggest a hard compound tire, try streetjam if t drifts dont work out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.