Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrBlack
Kokam has recommended to us that storing them above 50% is ideal and storing them at 100% is even batter as the chance of them falling below %50 do to extended storage is less of an issue.

I store my batteries personally at %100 and I run them weekly.
Mr Black- I just want to clear this up, not disagreeing with anyone. Both linger and Rick Howart have said not to leave at full charge for extended periods. More like at 80%. I have 8 of these and I want to make sure I am treating them right in the winter. Can these two different takes on platinum/carbon storage be discussed more?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kuzo
Mr Black- I just want to clear this up, not disagreeing with anyone. Both linger and Rick Howart have said not to leave at full charge for extended periods. More like at 80%. I have 8 of these and I want to make sure I am treating them right in the winter. Can these two different takes on platinum/carbon storage be discussed more?

Hey just be quiet...LOL...I wanna be right for once.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Hey just be quiet...LOL...I wanna be right for once.
Well if I had seen that you said that I wouldn't have needed to ask...case closed. j/k
Old 04-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Well if I had seen that you said that I wouldn't have needed to ask...case closed. j/k
I figured it must have just been an oversight on your part.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kuzo - it's really not that much of a difference. When you store the cells fully charged, the cell tends to loose a little capacity over time...not a whole lot and nobody really notices. Maybe 5% over 6 months - I'm just guessing on the number. Your Nimh will lose more than 5% the second charge.

When you store the battery 50% charged, the capacity loss is less than if you store it at 100%.

If you store it almost all the way discharged, then there is the danger that the self discharge will cause the cell to go undervoltage and then you will get a HUGE loss in capacity and destroy the cell.

This only applies to the Kokam batteries. I've had other lower cost brands puff up with a 100% charge in a matter of weeks.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
It is a 2mm connector. Here is the Team Orion plug that we offer, along with the reprinted installation instructions provided by MrBlack:
http://nexusracing.net/product_info.php?products_id=893
thank you for the info i just keep missing it. thank you again
Old 04-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrBlack
Yes you did this correctly.
Thanks.
Those were the best investment I've ever made when buying batteries.
I had BSydor double check the numbers. I couldn't believe how well these babies are lasting.
This summer there going modified dirt racing if all works out.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

linger - so I should be all set with the platinums if my storage method is to charge to 100% and leave for 4-5 months in storage for the winter?

Turbo Joe - actually I should pay more attention to what you say. You're always in these threads defending lipo from the "lipos will kill your family and rape your dog" crowd. You must have picked up some info by now.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

linger - so I should be all set with the platinums if my storage method is to charge to 100% and leave for 4-5 months in storage for the winter?
If you are storing for 4-5 months - I'd leave approx 50% charge in them. The self discharge rate is low so no need for 100% charge.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Turbo Joe - actually I should pay more attention to what you say. You're always in these threads defending lipo from the "lipos will kill your family and rape your dog" crowd. You must have picked up some info by now.

I bought two platinums from the first batch and I've been running them ragged since...my family is still alive and my cat (no dog... ) is fine...house hasn't burned down...nothing. We've run them back-2-back in enduros, dumped them and they still work great.

One's even a little puffy...LOL...gotta run that one over to Mr. Black's place, but it still seems to work fine...been that way for a while.

You don't wanna mess with my cat...he's got special powers.
Attached Thumbnails Platinum Lipo-hello.jpg  
Old 04-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe

I bought two platinums from the first batch and I've been running them ragged since...my family is still alive and my cat (no dog... ) is fine...house hasn't burned down...nothing. We've run them back-2-back in enduros, dumped them and they still work great.

One's even a little puffy...LOL...gotta run that one over to Mr. Black's place, but it still seems to work fine...been that way for a while.

You don't wanna mess with my cat...he's got special powers.
I'm running my plats with the kids listed in the sig. I'm totally comfortable allowing them to run them as long as I'm there and you should see the crashes these kids manage. I'm running with the apogee Loud Obnoxious Alarm and you can't mistake a low battery.

Unfortunately my dog's special powers involve being well...special in a short bus way...
Attached Thumbnails Platinum Lipo-retarded-dog-sm.jpg  
Old 04-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by linger
If you are storing for 4-5 months - I'd leave approx 50% charge in them. The self discharge rate is low so no need for 100% charge.
Thanks for the info. I'll start storing them that way. Last question - does it hurt if you do leave a 100% charge for that long. When I stored them last, someone told me to charge all the way before I put away. I'm just worried I did damage leaving them that way.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the info. I'll start storing them that way. Last question - does it hurt if you do leave a 100% charge for that long. When I stored them last, someone told me to charge all the way before I put away. I'm just worried I did damage leaving them that way.
No you will not ruin them stored at 100% as this was recommended to us by Kokam who manufactuers the cells.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Tech Elite

Unfortunately my dog's special powers involve being well...special in a short bus way...
BEST_PICTURE_EVER.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cvt01
MrBlack,

Could you please post a 30A discharge curve of the platinum lipo?
Please!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.