Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by marvi
i know that youll get more than a year out of it ive read somewhere in this thread that they were using the lipo every week for more than a year with no loss in performance. ive also read that they did more than 200 runs and still going strong. well, we both can see these for ourselves in the months to come

yup, its a very tiny beep. when in doubt, check the amps, if it dropped from 4.8, that means it already beeped

i think the reason you went there was ...

re. the yoke charger, i think pitshop has more in stock, he just had 1 sent to fortress do you still have nicads/nimhs left? try to order a temp probe for your ice, its a nice safety cutoff to have
Yeah we'll see . Some people at the track that run EP boats says that lipo batts have a shelf life of 2 years. Same with camcorders, cellphones, etc that use lipo batts. I think that's more than enough.
That could be a reason next time to go there.
I have some nicd stick packs for my minicooper. I dont plan on buying any sub c cells anymore.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Has anyone used the Avionics SBS on the Platinum? ANyone notice a performance difference after balancing?

I just got one of these new packs and was looking into what I need to do for this pack.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
Has anyone used the Avionics SBS on the Platinum? ANyone notice a performance difference after balancing?

I just got one of these new packs and was looking into what I need to do for this pack.
I have 8 platinums and haven't had to use the SBS yet. After plenty of runs the cells in mine are within .02V of each other and they aren't considered out of balance until a .20V difference is reached. Check with a multimeter if you have one to see what the individual cells are at. Check by taking your + lead on the meter to the + battery connector and the - to the balance port. Compare that to the number you get from the - meter lead on the - batt connector and the + to the balance port. They are probably pretty close to each other.

Balancing is less for performance and more to make sure an individual cell isn't charged or discharged too much as chargers and cutoffs only read total pack voltage and not each cells' voltage.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Tech Regular

i have been using 3 platinum lipos for the past 6-7 months. The punch is as still unaffected and it is as strong as a new platinum lipo's punch.

Once in every 2-3 months i balance the cell using the balancer port at 3.7 volt each. I noticed that the difference between positive and negative charge when it is fully charged is about 50 mah. Well this is quite significant in term of run time.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Even though the Carbon LiPo has been getting all the attention lately, don't forget how great the Platinum LiPo is! Here is our new article showing how to fit the Platinum LiPo in both editions of the T2'007:

Installing the Orion Platinum Lipo in the T2’007 (both editions)

Old 03-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

We have observed that at the end of a race, a Carbon LiPo has about .15-.20 volts less than a Platinum. It seems that even though the discharge curve is fairly flat, it's still a curve, and does slope downward as you get into a pack's capacity. The Platinum pack seems to hold more voltage over time, and it seems that at least in 13.5 on-road racing, maybe we're getting deep enough into that curve to see a real difference. I don't know for sure. I'm hoping to borrow a Platinum pack to determine exactly that.

Nexus, that's a great article, thanks for posting it. The LiPo weights you guys brought out have been requested by several people in the past. I hope you sell a bunch of them. Thanks for supporting the LiPo crowd, it makes me feel even better about buying from and recommending your store.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

is the plat very fragile when taken below 6.0v thershold ??

ie;if taken once or twice to far down ,thats it plat is buggered !!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Few quick ?'s.

If I had one of the Orion Carbon/Platinum Lipos and used an ICE or the new Checkpoint charger with a Novak GTB 4.5R system...Do I need some type of voltage cutoff thing to run since the GTB doesn't have one?

Also do I need a separate "balancing thing" for the cells?

Sorry LIPO NOOB but very interested in running that setup this summer.

==

Adrian if you are reading please advise as this will be going in a Mi3 when they come out
Old 03-28-2007, 06:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Few quick ?'s.

If I had one of the Orion Carbon/Platinum Lipos and used an ICE or the new Checkpoint charger with a Novak GTB 4.5R system...Do I need some type of voltage cutoff thing to run since the GTB doesn't have one?

==

Adrian if you are reading please advise as this will be going in a Mi3 when they come out
Old 03-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
is the plat very fragile when taken below 6.0v thershold ??

ie;if taken once or twice to far down ,thats it plat is buggered !!
In my experience with lipos from non rc aplications, yes. One day completely discharged and they are trash.

I have no experience in RC lipo, yet
Old 03-28-2007, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I picked up a platinum Li-Po this month and I'm very happy with it. Here's the only thing I wish Orion would have done differently:

Sell another platinum that has 5 ounces of weight built into the case for people like me who still have to use NIMH's for races. Right now, I've got 5 ounces of lead stacked on an extra battery strap to use when I practice with the platinum and that is definitely not ideal as it raises the cg in my B4 somewhat. Also, a couple guys at the track said they'd like to go Li-Po, but their #1 problem with the platinum is that they don't want to have to put weight back into the car in order to avoid changing their set-ups and meet minimum weight requirements. That would make their only objection a moot point.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by syndr0me
We have observed that at the end of a race, a Carbon LiPo has about .15-.20 volts less than a Platinum. It seems that even though the discharge curve is fairly flat, it's still a curve, and does slope downward as you get into a pack's capacity. The Platinum pack seems to hold more voltage over time, and it seems that at least in 13.5 on-road racing, maybe we're getting deep enough into that curve to see a real difference. I don't know for sure. I'm hoping to borrow a Platinum pack to determine exactly that.

Nexus, that's a great article, thanks for posting it. The LiPo weights you guys brought out have been requested by several people in the past. I hope you sell a bunch of them. Thanks for supporting the LiPo crowd, it makes me feel even better about buying from and recommending your store.
This is happening because the 3200 has less capicity as capacaity drops eventually so will voltage. this is the same if you where to run a 3300NiMH and a 4200NiMH of equal voltage.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Leodis
I picked up a platinum Li-Po this month and I'm very happy with it. Here's the only thing I wish Orion would have done differently:

Sell another platinum that has 5 ounces of weight built into the case for people like me who still have to use NIMH's for races. Right now, I've got 5 ounces of lead stacked on an extra battery strap to use when I practice with the platinum and that is definitely not ideal as it raises the cg in my B4 somewhat. Also, a couple guys at the track said they'd like to go Li-Po, but their #1 problem with the platinum is that they don't want to have to put weight back into the car in order to avoid changing their set-ups and meet minimum weight requirements. That would make their only objection a moot point.
We have actually been looking into this for several months now.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nexus
Few quick ?'s.

==

The car will show a significant "dump" before it get's into the low voltage area when your car shows a loss of power simply drive it in a disconnect the battery and charge it again before use.

You will probably never need to use a blancer but sometimes a pack can go out of balance for random reasons I would suggest simply checking it with a volt meter and if you know somebody weith a balancer simply borrow their on occasion if you are concerned.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrBlack
We have actually been looking into this for several months now.
Thanks for the info! That sure would make the transition phase from NIMH to Li-Po a lot easier for some people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.