Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

If I were Orion (Kokam) I would test my batteries before they left my plant to make sure there weren't any duds. I wouldn't take the time to discharge them though as this would be a waste of my time as my end user would just be chargin right back up.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Arrow

Originally Posted by Cotti
Hi Folks I just recieved my new LiPo pack and on the first charge it took 1744mah is this normal?
Lipos should always be stored with one-half of a charge in them.
This shows that your lipo was appropriately prepared before it left the factory.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cotti
Yes thats the answer I was hoping to get I do find it strange tho that they charge before shipping but maybe they need a charge soon after manufature? Can anyone clarify this?
Just like others have said here, Lipos need to have be charged half way or more when just setting around. Yes, you can run them down on the track below this, but it is wise to charge them at least half way before putting them up for the day.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

They claim that LiPo has virtually no self discharge means you can store them for a couple of days fully charged then use them on the track without "repeaking". With NiMH it makes sense to store them charged because they lose charging over the time but it is not an issue with LiPo right? Then why you have to store them charged?
An other question: is it OK to store them fully charged?
Old 07-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cvt01
They claim that LiPo has virtually no self discharge means you can store them for a couple of days fully charged then use them on the track without "repeaking". With NiMH it makes sense to store them charged because they lose charging over the time but it is not an issue with LiPo right? Then why you have to store them charged?
An other question: is it OK to store them fully charged?
Actually, they only want you to store NiMH cells with charge if your planning of leaving them for a while. If your going 1-2 weeks between race days, then your supposed to store them completely discharged.

First let me say that I can attest to the "virtually no self discharge" part of the LiPo thing. I let mine sitting for 3 weeks and it dropped a total of something like 83mah!

But as for why they say don't store them discharged, I can only assume that if you drain them completely, it may only take that small amout of "self discharge" to ruin them.

Personally I don't understand why this subject keeps coming up. Since the cells have no memory, why would anyone want to store their LiPo completely drained anyway???
Old 07-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Come on Orion... release that new battery already and deliver me from this life of NiMh hell.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I've read that the balancing is either not necessary on LiPos or only VERY rarely. I undersatnd also that it is used to bring both cells to the same voltage by charging them both to the same capacity. I checked the voltage on both cells in a buddies pack and they varied by .04 volts. Now I know this small difference certainly doesn't require attention now, but at what point should we be concerned and balance the battery. .1 volt difference? Just wunderin'
Old 07-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Come on Orion... release that new battery already and deliver me from this life of NiMh hell.
I will be testing the new pack at Tamiya's facility this weekend. So if anyone is there fell free to check it out.

The capacity is less than the Platinum, but the IR is even lower for more power. Run time should be equivalent to what a 5000 mAh NiMH pack would deliver.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I will be testing the new pack at Tamiya's facility this weekend. So if anyone is there fell free to check it out.

The capacity is less than the Platinum, but the IR is even lower for more power. Run time should be equivalent to what a 5000 mAh NiMH pack would deliver.
any "spy" shots of casing available, or will it be similar to the platinum
Old 07-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo
any "spy" shots of casing available, or will it be similar to the platinum
It is different. If you look at it from the end, its profile is the same as that of a stick pack - rounded edges. But it incorporates ridges that will lock it into a slotted chassis while still allowing its use in off-road "channel" battery locations. It is very unique with a carbon look case.

It weighs less than a 4-cell NiMh pack.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
It is different. If you look at it from the end, its profile is the same as that of a stick pack - rounded edges. But it incorporates ridges that will lock it into a slotted chassis while still allowing its use in off-road "channel" battery locations. It is very unique with a carbon look case.

It weighs less than a 4-cell NiMh pack.
sweet....that is what i was hoping for....what type of time frame are you looking at for making them readily available....

thanks,
marc
Old 07-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo
sweet....that is what i was hoping for....what type of time frame are you looking at for making them readily available....

thanks,
marc
4-6 weeks assuming there are no problems during the test. BTW the street price will likely be under $100. And the capacity is such that it will be legal in any races where a 4300mAh capacity is stated as the maximum allowable.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Rick - great job at the worlds. You just convinced me that I'm not too old anymore.

Let me guess. You new pack is 2s4p - it will be rated at 3.64 Ah, and if you were brilliant, you can make a saddle pack configuration with the "new" pack. So, am I close?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Yea, no doubt Rick, incredible job at the worlds.

The new pack sounds like what we (the touring car crowd) were hoping for. If that sucker will sit down in normal battery slots, it's going to be a dream come true. I'm holding out a small hope that it'll have multiple power connectors so I can connect to it on the corners like a normal side-by-side pack, but I won't get greedy. :-)
Old 07-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by linger
Hey Rick - great job at the worlds. You just convinced me that I'm not too old anymore.

Let me guess. You new pack is 2s4p - it will be rated at 3.64 Ah, and if you were brilliant, you can make a saddle pack configuration with the "new" pack. So, am I close?
Thanks!

You are close but with this one (hint) you will not be able to make a saddle pack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.