Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree272Likes

Serpent Project 4-X

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-21-2016, 06:09 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Serpent Project 4-X
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WagwanBumba
Introduction
This is a wiki page for the new and very interesting concept 4-X from Serpent. This is wiki is meant to develop and grow as more is understood about the car.

Serpent's Product Page - http://www.serpent.com/product/400030
The 4-X Development Story - Here

Manual - Here

Spring Chart
SOFTEST
  • 401705 Spring white C4.4 4X (2)
  • 401706 Spring yellow C4.9 4X (2)
  • 401707 Spring orange C5.5 4X (2) = kit
  • 401708 Spring red C6.3 4X (2)
  • 401709 Spring pink C6.9 4X (2)
  • 401710 Spring blue C7.6 4X (2)
  • 401711 Spring purple C8.4 4X (2) = kit
  • 401712 Spring greenC9.5 4X (2)
  • 401713 Spring grey C10.9 4X (2)
  • 401714 Spring black C12 4X (2)
HARDEST

Build Tips

RCBuilds.net Build, tip guide and youtube video - http://www.rcbuilds.net/builds/onroa...nt-project-4x/
Heave + Roll Damper Build Tips
Pivot Ball Nut Tip

Setups

Setup Tips

Ride Height Adjustment
Adjusting tweak with roll damper
Usage of washer on lower arm
Tuning ARS

Option Parts List

Social Media

Facebook 4-X Group

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Tire rub

Hey, quick question.

I'm running VTA with my 4x as I get a handle on the car. The VTA tires are a bit wide and I'm getting tire rub on the wheelhubs where the Ackerman holes are. It's way too tight a fit. Happens on both the front and rear.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2017, 04:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mstrfahrenheit
Hey, quick question.

I'm running VTA with my 4x as I get a handle on the car. The VTA tires are a bit wide and I'm getting tire rub on the wheelhubs where the Ackerman holes are. It's way too tight a fit. Happens on both the front and rear.

Any suggestions?
Move up to usgt.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Hey, quick question.

Any suggestions?
As I'm sure you've realized, its rubbing in the front and back because the parts used are the same.

How bad is the rubbing, I run standard TC tires so I have no idea.

The potential fix would be to buy wider hex hubs which serpent makes and are listed for the off road car. You will have a wider stance which appears to be opposite of what normal TC's are going with.

Steve
Old 06-10-2017, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by corallyman
As I'm sure you've realized, its rubbing in the front and back because the parts used are the same.

How bad is the rubbing, I run standard TC tires so I have no idea.

The potential fix would be to buy wider hex hubs which serpent makes and are listed for the off road car. You will have a wider stance which appears to be opposite of what normal TC's are going with.

Steve

Bad enough to impede movement of the tires - would probably need to find a good 5mm. It's not really even close right now and would do damage.

I can switch motors with my usgt car and flip classes. Not a big deal, was just curious if there was an easy adjustment
Old 06-11-2017, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Bad enough to impede movement of the tires - would probably need to find a good 5mm. It's not really even close right now and would do damage.

I can switch motors with my usgt car and flip classes. Not a big deal, was just curious if there was an easy adjustment
The kit hexes are -.75. I've seen guys using the xray +3mm ones in vita with the old car which had similar tolerances. Yeah racing do a +5mm hex. Try and source those or Maybe you could get creative with a Dremel
mstrfahrenheit likes this.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

For front vta tires I'm going with a 7mm wide hex to stop rub.

Rear 6mms will work.
mstrfahrenheit likes this.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Serpent Project 4X, manual vertical topdeck
Its uploaded to the website.

Serpent Model Racing Cars - Product - Vertical topdeck set 4X - Downloads
Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Serpent 4X New Option Stiffener Front Short Released !
for 401738 Vertical Top Deck .
Attached Thumbnails Serpent Project 4-X-ser-401746.jpg  
Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

So how much fun are the through-shocks on this car to deal with? It's the one design area that scares me. I have not enjoyed through-shocks on my pan cars (both Xray and Associated). Can you keep air out of them for a reasonable length of time?
Old 06-20-2017, 09:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
So how much fun are the through-shocks on this car to deal with? It's the one design area that scares me. I have not enjoyed through-shocks on my pan cars (both Xray and Associated). Can you keep air out of them for a reasonable length of time?
It is one the trickier parts of the chassis. A couple tips help:

1) Get the 70 durometer Tamiya x-rings (not 50), Blue Yokomo o-ring, or the Kyosho orange x-ring work pretty well too. That's my list, best first.
2) Definitely use green slime of some sort, though I recommend pre-soaking the o-rings first.
3) Thicker oil is better, luckily the latest setups (which are certainly the best) use 2500-3k most of the time.
4) When building, get the bottom or one side sealed up, fill and let bubbles raise to the surface. Now put the white shock guide on and make sure it is FULLY seated, then place cap and tighten. Do not over tighten. If the cap didn't screw down very far, there is too much oil in the shock, either way, let the shock sit for a couple minutes and try to tighten the cap down again.

Given that technique, I now go multiple race days without issue.

Ethan
DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by erchn
It is one the trickier parts of the chassis. A couple tips help:

1) Get the 70 durometer Tamiya x-rings (not 50), Blue Yokomo o-ring, or the Kyosho orange x-ring work pretty well too. That's my list, best first.
2) Definitely use green slime of some sort, though I recommend pre-soaking the o-rings first.
3) Thicker oil is better, luckily the latest setups (which are certainly the best) use 2500-3k most of the time.
4) When building, get the bottom or one side sealed up, fill and let bubbles raise to the surface. Now put the white shock guide on and make sure it is FULLY seated, then place cap and tighten. Do not over tighten. If the cap didn't screw down very far, there is too much oil in the shock, either way, let the shock sit for a couple minutes and try to tighten the cap down again.

Given that technique, I now go multiple race days without issue.

Ethan
No shock stand recommendations??
Old 06-20-2017, 02:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JayL
No shock stand recommendations??
Ahh yes, how could I forget. I highly, highly recommend the top of a motor spray can, makes holes with reamer as desired.
DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Ahh yes, how could I forget. I highly, highly recommend the top of a motor spray can, makes holes with reamer as desired.
That's a great idea!

Are you guys having issue with the Roll shock? I have only noticed small issues with the Heave shocks getting a bit of air in them in my area.

Steve
Old 06-20-2017, 03:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by corallyman
That's a great idea!

Are you guys having issue with the Roll shock? I have only notice small issues with the Heave shocks around my area.

Steve
Yea, just the heave for the most part. The roll moves so little and far less abruptly than the heave. It also depends on how bumpy your track is, also racing mod seems to produce more issues, presumably the shocks are working harder.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Yea, just the heave for the most part. The roll moves so little and far less abruptly than the heave. It also depends on how bumpy your track is, also racing mod seems to produce more issues, presumably the shocks are working harder.
Yes, that's what we see here too! Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.