Like Tree54Likes

TT-01 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vroomin
Nice car TonyD.

Been lurking the forum for 3 months now and finally decided to join.
I am learning one step at a time and so far I am hooooooked

I bought two which should arrive Monday A TT01 and a TT01D.

The TT01 has a

TT01E Kit with Front Motor Conversion

-Lundsford Titanium Turnbuckles
-RPM Ball Cups
-Upgraded front CVD's
-Upgraded Propeller Shaft
-Active Hobby Countersteer Diff kit
-Ball Bearings throughout
-Tamiya Disk Brake/Intercooler accessories kit

The TT01D is stock.

I don't know too much about the hopups on the first one but I was hoping you guys could shed some light.
Should I remove any of the mods? perhaps overkill for a noob?

Thanks and I hope to stick around for a long time
I assume you are going to drift with the cars based on what you've purchased. Try getting good at 50/50 drifting with the Dspec then when you've got that down try the e with the counter steer unit. I have one of the active hobby ones in my Espec as well which is pretty well stock bar the obvious hop ups and I find it handles poorly (which will frustrate a beginner). With this in mind you could swap the bearings, prop shaft and cvd's over to make it a little nicer to play with, leave everything else on the e. If the bearings are second hand I'd consider buying a new set.

I'm planning to get the new steering setup from active (plus a few other things i wont go into right now) in the hope of rectifying the poor steering with the cs unit, will report back when I've tested it.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by devilfish
I assume you are going to drift with the cars based on what you've purchased. Try getting good at 50/50 drifting with the Dspec then when you've got that down try the e with the counter steer unit. I have one of the active hobby ones in my Espec as well which is pretty well stock bar the obvious hop ups and I find it handles poorly (which will frustrate a beginner). With this in mind you could swap the bearings, prop shaft and cvd's over to make it a little nicer to play with, leave everything else on the e. If the bearings are second hand I'd consider buying a new set.

I'm planning to get the new steering setup from active (plus a few other things i wont go into right now) in the hope of rectifying the poor steering with the cs unit, will report back when I've tested it.

Hey man thanks for the advice, yes I am trying to drift.

I also read the CS is harder so I do intend on learning with the 01D first like you said. Hopefully by then you'll have your parts installed and can share if your CS rides better.

Ill swap everything over. As for the bearings, are these ONLY on the wheels or something else? As you can tell I am VERY new to this hobby sorry

Any advantage to the front motor kit or is that just to be able to run CS?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

BUmpityy bump
Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey man thanks for the advice, yes I am trying to drift.

I also read the CS is harder so I do intend on learning with the 01D first like you said. Hopefully by then you'll have your parts installed and can share if your CS rides better.

Ill swap everything over. As for the bearings, are these ONLY on the wheels or something else? As you can tell I am VERY new to this hobby sorry

Any advantage to the front motor kit or is that just to be able to run CS?

Thanks
I've just had a look at the drift spec manual, seems it already has ball bearings so you don't need to replace them it would turn out. If you go to the following link you'll see the manual which details where all the bearings are located for future reference: http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/tt01d.pdf

The main advantage of the front motor kit is there is more weight at the front of the car which is hopeful for cs drifting. I personally haven't used this so I'm unsure as to how much performance is really gained.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

not that this thread has many visitors anymore but I just picked up this beauty

Old 04-27-2013, 04:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

not that this thread has many visitors anymore but I just picked up this beauty

Looking good. i like that front motor thing going on.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Not for nothing I really like my TT-01. i think it runs better then my big money TC. I think I can get it to run well with a little TLC.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

hey guys, glad to see theres a TT01 forum here. ill do my part in trying to bring it back to life. goal here with this car was to make a competitive TC as cheaply as possible. me and 2 other friends all got TT01 type E chassis at the same time and we have all been getting upgrades together, so all 3 of us are completely equal. AND! i managed to score an HPI Escudo body! ive always wanted to get one so i could try to replicate the Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak from Grand Turismo 3, and here is my dream in reality!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

thats pretty sweet. My only memories of that car from GT3 is how much power it had and how hard to control it could be
Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

so i was just wondering if anyone had any setup tips. i put a 4000Kv brushless system into my TT01E and it handles like a brick on plastic wheels. i cant even go faster than half throttle because if you try to steer at all, the car instantly spins out. its not that the motor is too powerful because i can accelerate slowly, the car just cant handle! i bought some super grippy rubber racing tires that are popular at the local track and paired them up with some nice molded foam inserts, and i got aluminum oil filled shocks, and i lowered the ride height by putting O rings on the shock shaft inside the shock body below the shock piston. ive tried changing different oil viscosity and different spring tensions, but no matter what i do, the car handles like garbage and is almost unraceable. ive tried packing grease into the gear diffs, and likewise, cleaning all the grease out and running them empty. nothing seems to work. even with good shocks and super grippy tires, the car just spins out as soon as it gets any steering input.

can this chassis be made to be competative, or am i just expecting too much from a cheap budget level RC car?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hmm I don't think you should lower the ride height using O rings, it limits suspension travel and is a possible cause of your spin outs.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

the suspension travel is the cause of the problem. without the O rings, the car will simply flip over. it only limits the down travel so its exactly the same as running shorter shocks. the O rings stopped the car from flipping over and mellowed out the handeling a little bit. im just wondering if i need to go lower? or is there something else i could do to make it handle better? the TT01 chassis in its self has WAY too much body roll. if i could get some sway bars i have a feeling that it might help, but im not entirely sure
Old 05-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

What ride height is it at now? I suspect the springs you're using are too soft to allow so much body roll.
I would go stiffer springs before lowering the ride height even more. Also, ride height should be adjusted with the shock collars and not with O rings. If the collars are already at their highest positions but your car still isn't low enough, use shorter springs and compensate with lowering the collars instead . It sounds almost like you've compressed the springs to achieve lower ride height as well, which is a bad idea.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

no i know how to set up shocks. i got the stiffest springs i could get and lowered ride height as much as possible using the threaded shock bodies (like your suppose to) but its not working. i had 55wt shock oil in it with the white super stiff springs in it as a last resort, going as hard as i could and still no avail. the lowest achievable ride height using the shock collar is still very high, about half an inch. using a shorter spring (or softer) will lower the ride height, howerver, the shock length is still there and so will the body roll. the O rings are NOT the issue, i can assure you. without the O rings, my car would just helplessly roll all over the place constantly. and if i tried to race id probably be rolling my car into other cars (which is why im avoiding racing till i can get this thing to hook up.) ive raced off road for years, O rings inside the shocks are very common setup tweaks and usually dont hurt performance. but its done as a last resort. only if you cannot angle your shocks down or unthread (or remove clips depending what type of shocks you have) any more, THEN resort to O rings. i almost think it would help to have a droop screw, but alas, TT01s do not have one
Old 05-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sounds almost like either one or more of three things
You have too much steering from your controler, try lowering the steering
Also sounds like a traction problem
What type of surface are you running on?
You might have too much grip on your front tires, are they brand new???
Traction compund being used???
What type of springs do you have on the front end, try going softer
Keep us informed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.