Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Wave - Lightning Discharge / equalizing system

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 03:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrainTeased
i was under the impression that the team waves hold their cells down to the selected voltage cut off but in fact it doesnt. its pretty much just another novak smart tray but with a fan.

According to the product profile it is supposed to hold the voltage at the cutoff level.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:01 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hyper1
According to the product profile it is supposed to hold the voltage at the cutoff level.
I have to say I didnīt try very much and with low XDL level only.
Maybe you have to use higher XDL for this function to really work.

But anyway Iīm not completely sure how this XDL works. Maybe itīs just a function of time and each of the XDL levels is a fixed amount of time. Maybe itīs dependent on other things also until it finally cut off.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:28 AM
Tech Adept

With a higer XDL, the discharge current decrease in order to maintain the selected cutoff voltage.
I use a lowvoltage like 0.7/0.8V and and XDL=5/6 with GP cells and high voltage 0.9/0.95V and XDL= 8/9 with IB cells
Old 04-14-2006, 05:40 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

But from what I have heard you shouldnīt use a high XDL value with IB cells. The discharge current may decrease more but I think it also will affect keeping the cells at a voltage which isnīt good for them.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:52 AM
Tech Adept

You're right, I use 5/6 with IB and 8/9 with GP, just a brain problem!!

In fact with GP cells, I often use XDL=6/7 during races because with higher value it can take long to discharge the pack!
Old 04-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Problem

Hi
Has any one had this go wrong as i used the tray fine last week and today the 1st and 6th cell do not discharge any more.I looked through the top and the board had burnt out at the cells on the top of the board.Where the cell join together.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Tech Adept

Didn't have that problem, but sometimes I try to discharge it, and it doen't discharge 1 cell... when I put in another battery pack.. it does work normal.. After leaving the pack for a few minutes, it's fine again.. strange...

-Hugo
Old 04-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by zombie
Hi
Has any one had this go wrong as i used the tray fine last week and today the 1st and 6th cell do not discharge any more.I looked through the top and the board had burnt out at the cells on the top of the board.Where the cell join together.
Thanks
its abvious you have shorted the unit. it can happen easily by the outside tabs touching a metal object and shorting out.

look on the board and you will see the lines on the pcb that is where the current flows. you will see areas where the short occured the board coz the lines on the pcb will flake off. just reconnect the flow, by soldering a wire in between.

if you post a pic of your PCB i will explain it better.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hyper1
hmmm well i hooked up a volt meter to each ends of my pack and watched it discharge and i noticed every time a cell showed it was "done" (discharged to the choosen voltage) the voltage in the pack would start climbing up again, very slightly.

But as each cell was done the voltage in the pack would start to get higher and higher until all cells were discharged the pack returns to 7.2+ volts within a matter of seconds.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:18 AM
Tech Adept

hmmm well i hooked up a volt meter to each ends of my pack and watched it discharge and i noticed every time a cell showed it was "done" (discharged to the choosen voltage) the voltage in the pack would start climbing up again, very slightly.

But as each cell was done the voltage in the pack would start to get higher and higher until all cells were discharged the pack returns to 7.2+ volts within a matter of seconds.
Thats correct.. What I do is just before Charging the pack, I put it back on the lightning again...

-Hugo
Old 04-15-2006, 06:22 AM
Tech Regular

its the people on this forum who used the word "hold" at at desired cut off. well it does do that to a certain extent.

not sure on the exact algorithim, but would go something like this.... (say you set the tray to XDL=9 and 0.9v)

1) discharge to 0.9volts at 5amps
2) when cell reaches 0.9volts decrease to 4.5amps
(NOTE: the drop in the discharge rate will allow the cell to rebound above 0.9v a little)
3) when cell reached 0.9volts again decreas to 4.0amps
(NOTE: the drop in the discharge rate will allow the cell to rebound above 0.9v a little)
4) when cell reached 0.9volts again decreas to 3.5amps
etc
when cell reaches 0.9volts again decrease dishcarge rate to 0.1amps
when cell now reached 0.9volts @ 0.1amp stop discharging the cell.
change the display to DONE.

or put more simply. its like discharging at 5amps, when it reaches cutoff, lower the amperage then re-discharge.

i cant see how it is possible to hold a cell infinitly at 0.9volts like you guys suggest. there is only a certain amount of energy in a cell. there has to be a point at which it has to stop. (otherwise you may aswell take it down to 0 volts and deadshort it) and at 0.1amps discharge is very very slow discharge rate. thats about 0.1mah every minute?

and yes all cells rebounds to their natural levels 1.2v once they are discharged and are allowed to rest.

Last edited by XingXing; 04-15-2006 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hugovdb
Thats correct.. What I do is just before Charging the pack, I put it back on the lightning again...

-Hugo
thats what i did all day today

Xing Xing

i know what you mean i actually set mine at 0.85 volt per cell and a rating of 5 with the XDL setting. it almost gets all the cells holding at 0.85-0.9 volt for a while
Old 04-24-2006, 05:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Has anyone noticed that there is a calibration menu? Just scroll to "setting" and press both left and right scrolling buttons at once. Mine displays 9<:8<8.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If anyone is interested in buying my TeamWave Lightening please PM me....
I would take $80.00 shipped. It has only ten uses....
I have been racing Nitro so electric stuff is going to be finding its way so keep an eye out...LOL
-Shookie <><
Old 05-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Kenon Hobby Re-Instock now!

ORDER CLICK HERE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.