Search

TeamOrion GP3700SP2 Cells

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 05:30 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trf_racer
Are these suppose to be better than the IB 3800? Since GP has been in the R/C industry for years, do they produce better cells? People in my area mostly use Team Orion / Peak Racing matched cells. I heard these have 508+ sec. runtime.
I think it depends what you want from a cell. Maybe the IB3800 really are better for 5 runs but for me that doesnīt matter. Also as long as I see factory drivers switching between IB and GP from heat to heat I canīt see any big advantage for one of them performancewise. Just to be clear this is racing stock not modifieds. Also this is for races here, canīt speak for US races.

But from what I noticed at races GPīs just are not as sensitive as IBīs and there is much less of a chance having a faulty cell in a pack after some runs.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

At big races, I see top drivers are all using the GP 3700. I think this tells us that they are the most reliable and have top performance. I think IB is also good but in the long term, I have no clue at all as I have not tried those cells before.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Lamest thread ever. This seriously sucks.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Boy i miss the days when World Class batteries was in bussiness. Now i dont know what to buy because i havent had to buy batteries in a while. My question is do these cells need to be step charged or flex charged. Idont have a hobby store here that handle stuff so i will have to order on the net but have been toying with idea of calling ron atomic and talking to him but i see he only carries smc 3800 now. I tried a pack of so called real time they were real lame
Old 11-23-2005, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm running IB3800's from batch 1 and batch 2 without any issues...
I have been running them for 3 months now and have noticed no performance dropoff...

They hold up just fine if you treat them like IB3800's...NOT like GP3300's...

folow the recommendations set out by the matcher and you'll have good results...

you can't treat GP3300's like you used to treat the old NiCD's....just stop asuming all cells need to be treated the same...

Someone earlier brought up dead shorting....did you ever stop to think about why you were dead shorting your old cells? To break down the crystalline structure in the cells and lower the IR....the IR in the latest IB's (and apparently GP's) are already far LOWER than you were trying to achieve by deadshorting....
Old 11-23-2005, 06:13 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Danny: This was at the last race 10 days ago. The IBīs were very new (4 or 5 runs old, donīt remember exactly) and really were very good. But I donīt think there was a real difference to the GPīs which had about the same numbers of runs of them. But this was running stock with a control motor different from the US motors. Also as I said both the IBīs and GPīs were not my own packs but borrowed from some team guys which are friends of mine. I know the packs all were very good but wonīt go in details here.

I also know there are differences in batches and differences in the ways of matching and enhancing cells so results can vary. I just can say what I noticed with me and other drivers here. Maybe Iīm trying both GP and IB then when Iīm ready buying new packs. But I really fear the IB wonīt work as long as I usally want running my packs.
I wonīt go for any matcher but just for those I trust in. And yes SMC is one of the very few I would buy. Unfortunately this would be more expensive than the local matchers I tried already.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:46 PM
V12
Tech Elite

I think flex charging isnīt a good idea with any NiMh cell.
But I also donīt use stepcharging.

I really donīt understand why there is so much talk on deadshorting.
Nobody uses this here and I just think this isnīt good for the cells.

Most guys are discharging their packs after a run down to 5.4v on a 20 or sometimes 30A load (whatever their discharging unit can do) and equalizing them each time before next charge. Worked best also for me performance and lifetimewise on my GPīs. I yet have to fail one cell after more than 3 years (my practice cells).
Old 11-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

SMC, Orion/Peak, Trinity, Reedy, LRP & all other matchers.

They are all good batteries only to their team & sponsor drivers. The batteries that those top rank racers used in races are only DREAMS to ordinary racers like us.

I was told by a FEW Top Racers. They have to submit back those special batteries back to their factory after races. I once told by a Japanese friend about batteries, those batteries that the top JMRCA team/sponsor racers used in their all-Japan open, are NOT obtainable by the ordinary racers even if you are a shop owner who is close the any team!

In most cases, even the shop owner keep their best packs receive direct from factories/manufacturer/distributor/suppliers, no matter where you are in the world. These is the truth fact!

We, as ordinary racers/buyers, only want a more durable, trouble/problem free, cheaper alternative batteries. We run our batteries all weekend for the next 12 months and may not be afford to buy new batteries for every race.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

"They are all good batteries only to their team & sponsor drivers."

At least there is a little bit of truth in this thread
Old 11-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thats not entirely true anymore. If you are willing to pay ~$90 per pack and you look for the right numbers you can get cells as good or better than what factory team driver have.

At the Snowbirds the EA packs in the hobby shop were better than the best cells Ralph burch had for the race. It was timing of batches that caused that as EA's packs were matched by SMC.

The Fusion batteries in the shop were also better than the packs Paul Wynn had.

The main advantage team drivers have is cell freshness. A 450sec, 1.195v,2.3IR pack of GP3700's you bought and put on a shelf 3 months ago is no where near as good as a pack with the same numbers matched a week a go. Cells degrade just sitting on a shelf.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gsracer
Boy i miss the days when World Class batteries was in bussiness. Now i dont know what to buy because i havent had to buy batteries in a while. My question is do these cells need to be step charged or flex charged. Idont have a hobby store here that handle stuff so i will have to order on the net but have been toying with idea of calling ron atomic and talking to him but i see he only carries smc 3800 now. I tried a pack of so called real time they were real lame
Just in case U didn't know World Class Batts is back in business. here is the web site http://www.worldclassbatteries.com/index.php

Have FUN racing guys. And please try to remember we do this because it's fun, not to fight. If U want to fight start boxing.

Bob

Last edited by TVMRocket69; 11-23-2005 at 10:32 PM. Reason: missed
Old 11-23-2005, 11:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MARKANO
SMC, Orion/Peak, Trinity, Reedy, LRP & all other matchers.

They are all good batteries only to their team & sponsor drivers. The batteries that those top rank racers used in races are only DREAMS to ordinary racers like us.

I was told by a FEW Top Racers. They have to submit back those special batteries back to their factory after races. I once told by a Japanese friend about batteries, those batteries that the top JMRCA team/sponsor racers used in their all-Japan open, are NOT obtainable by the ordinary racers even if you are a shop owner who is close the any team!

In most cases, even the shop owner keep their best packs receive direct from factories/manufacturer/distributor/suppliers, no matter where you are in the world. These is the truth fact!

We, as ordinary racers/buyers, only want a more durable, trouble/problem free, cheaper alternative batteries. We run our batteries all weekend for the next 12 months and may not be afford to buy new batteries for every race.
Not necessarily true. As was previously stated, timing has alot to do with it.

I was fortunate to have received a few "TEAM" brOOd packs with at the time a couple weeks ago were absolutely FANTASTIC!!! 420 1.205.

Then I was up there today and they are matching up their new batch.... The stuff for sale on the site is even better now!
Old 11-23-2005, 11:54 PM
Tech Adept

Numbers!!!

Arnt they things that are just printed on a label??? How can the customer prove they are true without spending even more money on a matcher???

Im a printer over here in the UK and can get people LABELS with 1.300v on if you want them doesnt mean i can get the cell thow

At the weekend me and a freind tested both cells back to back!!!!

GP cells were 1.192 at 30amp

IB cells were 1.181 at 30amp

On the track the IB cell out performed the GP all over.It had more punch and more RPM.That also allowed it to take TQ and a WIN in a pretty big compation over here!

At the end of the day NUMBERS ARE JUST NUMBERS, the best place to find out what is best is in the track.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:14 AM
Tech Adept

Few years back, a friend of mine happened to borrow a SMC GP3300 from a hobby shop sponsor driver. He charge it with his own charger and was terrified to see the batteries is still charging when it reach 4000+++mah......He decided to stop charging it by himself.....

The voltage may not be crucial with the difference of said 0.001-0.005V but the run time/capacity is.....but may not be the case of the newer generation of IB3800/GP3700. So I still believe the Higher Voltage/Good I.R. may still play a BIG role in today Competition for those Top Racers.

Yes, Freshly Matched Batteries is GOOD! How many ordinary racers can afford them direct from factory/matcher???
Old 11-24-2005, 12:19 AM
Tech Regular

Rick,

When will the new cells be available?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.