Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Orange and TRF,

Did it just give you plainly more grip, or also a more forgiving feeling? Any additional info is welcome.

Could you both please give me your complete setups (without center brace)?

Steevo, good luck with your new addition to your arsenal...lol

Thanks,
Pizza

Old 09-05-2003, 05:50 AM
Tech Adept

Pizza, it gives you both. My current setup is the kitsetup from the surikarn with following changes: Shocks standup one hole, no swaybar rear, A block rear. Cs27 tires and PF stratus body.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Orange,
Oil and piston, track surface?
Old 09-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

on high grip tracks i used it to stop chassis flex and gave a very small amount of grip.
on very very low grip[i also race indoors on a small tight track,surface is polished wooden floor.its like raciing on water! ]tracks i take it off too give more grip,as it causes more chassis flex.
front and rear;
red springs
inner most hole on upper link mount
5w shock oil [castrol]
5 hole pistons
outer most holes for damper on damper mount
inner most hole for damper on wishbones.
no roll bars.
no centre brace.
schumacher yellow mini pins 21mm wide.
font and rear diff.
this is my setup for indoors.
for outdoors the only change is 40w shock oil and yellow springs and anti roll bars with centre brace.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

Pizza, kit settings which equals 3 hole pistons and 40wt oil with red bushing. I use this on my hometrack (staffanstorp) which is a large 1/8 Track with low grip. The next European Championship in touring will hosted on this track.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Thanks, guys.
First oppurtinty, I'll do some testing myself!
Old 09-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey fellow EVO fans!
I just put together my e3 se And saw the article in rc car action and noticed that the manual says to drill the droop screw holes to 3mm. Why is that and on my original evo3 it has no mention of this. I haven't run the SE yet but I don't need to wreck some thing if I could have prevented it. Other than that, the car is awesome! My drive train is so free too. Ran well in Memphis, hope to do well at TCS nats.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally posted by Steevo
Just a couple of pics of my New Evo III. I think the car is simply awesome. It handles so well even with stock set up.
Looks good, I'll be running BL in mine as well, glad everything fits
Old 09-05-2003, 08:44 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by moshmike
Hey fellow EVO fans!
I just put together my e3 se And saw the article in rc car action and noticed that the manual says to drill the droop screw holes to 3mm. Why is that and on my original evo3 it has no mention of this. I haven't run the SE yet but I don't need to wreck some thing if I could have prevented it. Other than that, the car is awesome! My drive train is so free too. Ran well in Memphis, hope to do well at TCS nats.
Drilling the hole for the droop screw was just mentioned within the last couple pages, you might want to read back a little bit on it.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by hierog
yeah, i've got one. it tells you that you must drill a 3mm hole in the steering knuckle (for ride height) before you screw in the set screw. make sure you do this. I tried to get by and just screw it in, but it ended up getting stuck halfway through. I had to pull it in a vice and unscew it that way. and they give you exactly enough set screws to do the job
Also, don't forget about thread lock - i seem to forget this step most of the time!!
have fun, it's a great kit to build!!
In the steering knuckle? I thought it was just the arms. I still don't know why this has to be done. I got my set screws all the way through without a problem and it all looks the same as on my original evo3. Same size set screws and same arms.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:56 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I dont have my instructions yet, or I'd help you figure out the problem. I should have the car today though, so I'll try to see what the heck they are talking about.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up Getting Screwed!

Originally posted by moshmike
Hey fellow EVO fans!
I just put together my e3 se And saw the article in rc car action and noticed that the manual says to drill the droop screw holes to 3mm. Why is that and on my original evo3 it has no mention of this. I haven't run the SE yet but I don't need to wreck some thing if I could have prevented it.
It's only a tip for those of us who do not use very nice hex drivers like the Thorpe and Hudy ones. If all you got is that little allen wrench thingy that the kit comes with...drilling the hole a little helps your screw it in. I just muscled my screws in with a Thorpe driver
Old 09-05-2003, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Just to touch on the question ablove- you do not drill any holes on the steering knuckles, Mike. I have no idea how he came up with that- mistake probably. They suggest you drill a hole in the arms for the droop screws to relieve the tightness from the hard arms. They only suggest you drill about halfway through the arm. It's just a clearance hole- you don't HAVE to do it. I didn't, but like Rod said- if you don't have good drivers (I know you do) then it will help a ton.

For the record- I made a shim to eliminate the clearance between the bearing seat and the bearing on the beveled pinion gear. (To stop the floating which causes a deflection upon a high load like touching a board- which is the reason it eats ring gears IMO) If things go well I'll test it tomorrow to see if it fixes the problem. I reshimmed the front oneway where there is a slight amount of lash to allow the drivetrain to feel free again.

Hey Rod, what's the deal with everyone buying regular and Surikarn EVO3s? We've got Cuda drivers switching over, TC3 drivers switching over, all kinds of people!! This used to be a nice little quite thread where we could chat and talk about how fast our cars are... now it's being run over with aliens!!! LMAO

Randy- I already have the Square center braces and I have the "H brace" (what I call it) coming. Square also has red shock adjusting nuts (he said nutz...hehe) and red shock spring retainers. Mine are on the way .
Old 09-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey BDR...So what kind of test procedure did you come up with? Are you going to purposely crash your car? haha. Btw, I forwarded your idea to the interested parties and so far, I havne't heard back from them.

I also, just built my EvoS and boy does the drivetrain feel like crap hehe . I'm gonna do some installation runs tomorrow to see how things free up
Old 09-05-2003, 09:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by BigDogRacing
Hey Rod, what's the deal with everyone buying regular and Surikarn EVO3s? We've got Cuda drivers switching over, TC3 drivers switching over, all kinds of people!! This used to be a nice little quite thread where we could chat and talk about how fast our cars are... now it's being run over with aliens!!! LMAO

Randy- I already have the Square center braces and I have the "H brace" (what I call it) coming. Square also has red shock adjusting nuts (he said nutz...hehe) and red shock spring retainers. Mine are on the way .
I think I'm the only R2'ist that's making the switch right now at least...

I'm going to order a few parts from Square, but I dont even know what the Surikarn includes, so I'm gonna wait until I get it before I go and blow my cash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.