Wiki Posts
Search

The "Thats it!!! Get the F_*K out of Stock!!!" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tc3team
So true.

Luckily I have seen many changes in r/c (including the switchover to rebuildable stock motors and from nicad 1200 to todays cells).

Understanding how technology improves and knowing how to use it also helps you on your way - the "hobbyist" has problems, or will not wish to learn how to use equipment properly.

Gone are the days where you can use a wind up charger and hope to win a race with it.... gone are the days where you need to gear a motor correctly for the power to last...

I'm not saying tech is the only reason why some people throw this hobby into their past, but it does have an impact....

Neither am I in the A finals every time I race, but I am still racing now because I have a good company supporting me, but more importantly I believe have always been persistant in keeping r/c as something I enjoy doing.

I think you are trying to make the same point that I have been for a while.

When a new driver shows up at the track, which class are they going to run? Stock. At local club races, they should be able to compete in this class without spending mega bucks. This means that just about any car with a used battery pack, a motor right out of the package and an el-cheapo charger should put them in the A and in contention for a win if they can drive it smooth.

Thanks to all this technology, which for the most part has been all good, we have turned the Stock class into a reasonably fast class that many drivers never feel the need to leave.

I don't want to kick anybody out of Stock, I want to bore them out of it! Stock IS the entry level racing class, it's time to take it back and give it to the beginning racers. The faster drivers still have 19turn and Mod to keep them happy. I'd LOVE to see Mod make a huge comeback at the club level.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gotpez

When a new driver shows up at the track, which class are they going to run? Stock. At local club races, they should be able to compete in this class without spending mega bucks. This means that just about any car with a used battery pack, a motor right out of the package and an el-cheapo charger should put them in the A and in contention for a win if they can drive it smooth.

Thanks to all this technology, which for the most part has been all good, we have turned the Stock class into a reasonably fast class that many drivers never feel the need to leave.

I don't want to kick anybody out of Stock, I want to bore them out of it! Stock IS the entry level racing class, it's time to take it back and give it to the beginning racers. The faster drivers still have 19turn and Mod to keep them happy. I'd LOVE to see Mod make a huge comeback at the club level.
ya that sounds cool.when brushless is cheaper and lipos can go in 1/12 cars nice.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Tech Champion

Sorry if i've covered old ground, the thread is kinda long

Yeah, a lot of people must feel comfortable with the point and drive for each corner in stock.

Although I have raced for many years, I am not the most consistant racer out there with my lap times.... but I have already raced 19t for half a season, now I have a new chassis i'm more than happy to see what it can do with a nice amount of power behind it.

First time out in 19t and I get 2nd in the A, (1.9seconds off the winner, would have won if it wasnt for my nerves,lol) makes the feeling of doing well better than a stock race.... anyday.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tc3team
Sorry if i've covered old ground, the thread is kinda long
Don't be sorry, this is a point I've been trying to make for the last few years!

Now that we are on the cusp of some new technology, we may have the ultimate opportunity to make something happen. Whatever it is will be very painful for the established racers, but we've got to quit worrying about us and think about how we can get new racers and keep them.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Don't be sorry, this is a point I've been trying to make for the last few years!

Now that we are on the cusp of some new technology, we may have the ultimate opportunity to make something happen. Whatever it is will be very painful for the established racers, but we've got to quit worrying about us and think about how we can get new racers and keep them.
You and TC3 are on a good topic here. Heres some thing to think of.
We get these stock motors going so fast, they are just about 19t's.
So why not just throw in a 19t? I don't get it.
In stock we are constantly trying to go faster.
I don't get why we don't just throw in a 19t or mod and be done with it.
I my self in stock have gotten tired of trying to squeeze 1 more 1000nth of a second out of a stock motor.
And with brushless lipo we truly do have an opportunity to make everyone happy here. We need to get a handle on it.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
You and TC3 are on a good topic here. Heres some thing to think of.
We get these stock motors going so fast, they are just about 19t's.
So why not just throw in a 19t? I don't get it.
In stock we are constantly trying to go faster.
I don't get why we don't just throw in a 19t or mod and be done with it.
I my self in stock have gotten tired of trying to squeeze 1 more 1000nth of a second out of a stock motor.
And with brushless lipo we truly do have an opportunity to make everyone happy here. We need to get a handle on it.
To me, it just seems so simple. Technology has made Stock fast enough for most racers. When I started, it was so slow, you couldn't wait to get a few months of racing under your belt so you could move up to Mod. We didn't have 19 turn back then, but most drivers still made the jump to open Mod.

Let's turn the clock back. Slow down whatever class we want to call stock, and those with real talent will become so bored, they'll move to 19t or Mod. Stock will once again become a class where a fairly new driver has a hope of competing.

One thing that many people here don't seem to understand is how important making the A is to these newer drivers. My 11 year old son races, and when he earns his way into the A main, his attitude and demeanor really change for the better. It doesn't matter if he made it into the A because several of the top drivers didn't show up, he STILL beams when this happens. It's just a little affirmation that they are doing better and helps keep their interest.

There is another thread about this subject, and it mentions that some of the top stock drivers made the move to Mod and found themselves floundering in the C mains... so they jumped back to Stock. So, don't you think that our local stock drivers aren't feeling the same way? They show up and race for a few months and find themselves stuck in the C or D main... Nowhere to go from Stock, so they just go home.

At this point, I don't care if I upset every single "pro" Stock driver. These are not the racers that keep our local tracks open. They get most of their parts either free or at a discount from their sponsors. It's the weekend hacker that's just out for fun and will never race at a large national level event that pays the bills at most tracks.

Sorry for the rant.... no, not really. Well, maybe just a little sorry.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

To me, it just seems so simple. Technology has made Stock fast enough for most racers. When I started, it was so slow, you couldn't wait to get a few months of racing under your belt so you could move up to Mod. We didn't have 19 turn back then, but most drivers still made the jump to open Mod.

Let's turn the clock back. Slow down whatever class we want to call stock, and those with real talent will become so bored, they'll move to 19t or Mod. Stock will once again become a class where a fairly new driver has a hope of competing.

One thing that many people here don't seem to understand is how important making the A is to these newer drivers. My 11 year old son races, and when he earns his way into the A main, his attitude and demeanor really change for the better. It doesn't matter if he made it into the A because several of the top drivers didn't show up, he STILL beams when this happens. It's just a little affirmation that they are doing better and helps keep their interest.

There is another thread about this subject, and it mentions that some of the top stock drivers made the move to Mod and found themselves floundering in the C mains... so they jumped back to Stock. So, don't you think that our local stock drivers aren't feeling the same way? They show up and race for a few months and find themselves stuck in the C or D main... Nowhere to go from Stock, so they just go home.

At this point, I don't care if I upset every single "pro" Stock driver. These are not the racers that keep our local tracks open. They get most of their parts either free or at a discount from their sponsors. It's the weekend hacker that's just out for fun and will never race at a large national level event that pays the bills at most tracks.

Sorry for the rant.... no, not really. Well, maybe just a little sorry.
I read you loud and clear, no reason to be sorry your post has merit.
I haven't been to a major race in 7 years and the ones I did go to were off road. Much different.
Personally If I were to attend a sanctioned race I would sign in the 4300 or mod brushless.
I used to like stock but the only challenge I find in it any more, is trying to make the dang thing faster, driving stock is just cruise control any more.
I personally will not in a major event race a factory guy in stock. I'll challenge him in mod though. That way I can run any motor I want.
Its to bad they don't make a factory class, a expert class, and a novice class.
I really think thats the only way to end the problem. It would Eliminate the argument.
My dream classes would be 13.5 novice, 4300 expert, and 5800 factory.
The rest just full on mod. But the future will spell it all out I guess?
With brushless lipo we have a great opportunity to really get it together.
I hope it all works out. I am a week end hacker that you mention, and I was about to give it up when brushless lipo gave me a second wind. So I can see the opportunity it offers.
Later.