Wiki Posts
Search

Experience Sharing - Best Blinky ESC's

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
Easy to belittle the results I guess but I don't see anyone else sharing some hard data
No one is belittling your results.

Dale has posted many times about building his own dyno and posted results.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...l#post11929704

Dales comments are certainly worth taking on board.

For anyone interested there was a discussion about ESCs cheap vs expensive not that long ago.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...nsive-esc.html

Last edited by DamianW; 09-17-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:06 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

All good thanks, kind of get a bit defensive as a lot of these forums have people who do nothing but criticize everyone and everything else.

Paid for my rccrewchief licence yesterday, so definitely going to use it moving forward.

My point was that with all other variables constant, esc's do perform differently, and yes the motor in there does rev bloody high for a 21.5, but I'm not testing motor vs motor on this one, I am testing esc vs esc
Old 09-17-2015, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I found, when testing speed controls, that as I tuned the speed controls drive frequencies closer to each other the final dyno numbers closed up quite a bit.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:57 AM
Tech Master

Here is my comparison for the HW 3.1 and Tekin Gen2. Performance is pretty much identical.

I wonder if there is some issue with your Tekin nexxus? Since you said it also performed badly on track. I don't race blinky myself but there generally seems nothing between any of the top ESCs on track (HW, Tekin, Muchmore, LRP are all as quick as each other).
Attached Thumbnails Experience Sharing - Best Blinky ESC's-tekin-gen2-vs-hw-v3.1-blinky-linear.png  
Old 09-18-2015, 01:02 AM
Tech Master

And the LRP Flow vs Hobbywing. Very slight differences in the lines but this is within repeatability.
Attached Thumbnails Experience Sharing - Best Blinky ESC's-lrp-flow-vs-hw-v3.1-blinky-linear.png  
Old 09-18-2015, 01:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Good to see some other data What dyno set up are you using?
Old 09-18-2015, 02:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nexxus
Good to see some other data What dyno set up are you using?
Details are here:

Dyno, Homemade, Using a Novak Sentry Data Logger, Continued, The Experimental Thread.

Creating the dyno itself was fairly simple. Most of the hard work is in the analysis tools to make use of the data!
Old 09-18-2015, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by daleburr
Details are here:

Dyno, Homemade, Using a Novak Sentry Data Logger, Continued, The Experimental Thread.

Creating the dyno itself was fairly simple. Most of the hard work is in the analysis tools to make use of the data!
Could the reason people say they feel a difference between the ESC's when your tests don't, be that your flywheel etc doesn't take into account the extra loading you get through wind resistance, extra friction etc as the cars speed up?
Old 09-18-2015, 05:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Could the reason people say they feel a difference between the ESC's when your tests don't, be that your flywheel etc doesn't take into account the extra loading you get through wind resistance, extra friction etc as the cars speed up?
Load is load, doesn't matter where it comes from. As long as the flywheel is big/massive enough to somewhat closely approximate real world conditions, there should be no difference.

Keep in mind though that this is only a wide open test. There is no factoring in things like throttle profile, latency, etc. which can affect feel.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I think things like dead-band, drive-frequency, throttle curve etc will affect the feel, but don't show up in dyno tests as they just jam the throttle wide-open almost instantly.

So in terms of outright power there's nothing in it (at least between the top-level ESCs), but some may be easier to drive than others, or feel punchier.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I tried the Much More Fleta Stock yesterday, haven't dyno'd it yet but it felt notably quicker than the Tekin, but throttle is either on or off, the mid range drivability isn't there and the drag brake is pretty weak (but at least settable)
Old 09-21-2015, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Any opinion for Orca's VX3 1s. I need another esc for my 1/10 lab car.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

In RSA we are planning to intoduce a 13.5 blinky class and the opinion is that no-one want to buy new equipment, just stick your current esc and motor combo in blinky and the limit FDR. Surely then,with all different makes out there the cars won`t be the same? Isn`t that defeating the object of the class?
Old 09-23-2015, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
Any opinion for Orca's VX3 1s. I need another esc for my 1/10 lab car.
Orca's in general are very good, good quality and well rounded.

This will sound a little far fetched but in the past I've done research into selective memory tendencies when consumers relate to a brand (not for RC but on a professional level), the idea when you're in a noisy crowd you can still hear somebody yell out your name over all of the noise, or when you buy a new car and all of a sudden you start seeing them all over the place. That is called Selective Memory, your mind is expecting it.

Orca has tones of skirt blowers. So when your car is going down the straight is it actually going faster or is it because your mind is expecting it to? It's another way to think of it.

Opinions are like a**holes and a lot of them have opinions too, I'm glad there is some real data proving one way or the other.

But quality and price, I think they're awesome.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have Hobbywing 3.1 1S and 2S models as well as Trackstar 120amp 1S and honestly, I see no difference in them at all. All are run in blinky. I have even run a 4.5t on my Trackstar in 12th scale and it gets hot but keeps on trucking fine.

I come from the old school too where Novak and Tekin were the only good stuff out there. But this "cheap" China mad stuff is pretty damn good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.