Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
cheapo esc vs expensive esc >

cheapo esc vs expensive esc

cheapo esc vs expensive esc

Old 05-27-2015, 10:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Default cheapo esc vs expensive esc

Hey guys. I have been trying to figure out what the difference between a cheap esc and an expensive one is. For example lets say both are 100A rated and both have the same internal resistance why would you pay $100 more? I understand customer service plays a roll but apart from that i cant see a difference. Yes they will have different charachteristics, but is there any tangable difference?
Old 05-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For me, customer service. Tekin has been very generous to me after my screw ups, and for that reason, I stick with them.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Orca gives a very good support! I will never go back !

and the vx-3 is very smooth, worth every $!
Old 05-27-2015, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Besides really good customer service the more expensive ESCs are built with better components and better quality. When they claim 100a it is more accurate than when the cheap ones claim 100a. So the chances of burning up the ESC when running motors close to the limit is a lot less with a more expensive ESC. More expensive ESCs usually have more programming features to better fine tune it for your needs. And more expensive ESCs usually have a more precise throttle response.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:36 AM
Tech Initiate

I get what you guys are saying but lets say the cheapo is $50 and the expensive one is a $100. Then in my oppinion i really dont care about customer service cause i can buy 2 for the price of one. Plus with allot of expensive esc you need to buy a programing card where as with most cheapos its included
Old 05-27-2015, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

If you are racing blinky stock, a cheap ESC that was manufactured by a reliable company such as a Hobbywing Justock is fine, but your options will be limited down the road. Laying down a few bucks for a no-motor-limit ESC is a good investment, and don't buy used either, I would rather have one ESC I know the history of than 2 that are hiding scars.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For my 12th scales, I have Trackstar 1S speedos that are 120a and I also have some Hobbywing v3.1s, no difference whatsoever other than I can buy almost 4 of the Trackstar ones for the price of the one. I was skeptical about the Trackstar one at first but honestly I am very impressed. I have 2 of both brands and you cannot tell which one is which in any of my cars.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

The main difference is how light your pocket is after afterwards.

Hobbywing products are just as good as the more expensive brands. All the hobbywing knockoffs for the most part have worse quality control so you might get a dud here and there but even those are excellent products most of the time.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Do not trust the paper specs. Cheaper ESC's have most of the time lower rated FET's than listed in the spec of the ESC.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03 View Post
Hobbywing products are just as good as the more expensive brands.
Hobbywing are the OEM of quite a few of the "more expensive" brands.

Personally I wouldn't label "hobbywing" cheap. They are great products. Just not quite as expensive as the made in USA stuff - for example.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus View Post
Hobbywing are the OEM of quite a few of the "more expensive" brands.

Personally I wouldn't label "hobbywing" cheap. They are great products. Just not quite as expensive as the made in USA stuff - for example.
Yeah. My last Hobbywing was $180. Not what I consider cheap at all. But, I haven't had any problems out of them, so I keep coming back to them.

I am thinking about picking up one of the Trackstar ESCs and motors for a spare car I have.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Depends very much on the class you want to use it for. For mod TC I wouldn't want to use anything other than an ORCA VX3. Best mod ESC I've ever owned.

Something like a Toro TS 120 isn't that terrible for the price. It would be great for bashing, but requires far more playing around with settings to get it even close to driveable in a mod class and it will still never deliver power as smoothly as an ORCA.

For mod classes there is no point in buying inferior crap, just because it's cheaper. Eventually you'll realize it's crap and that you really didn't save anything by buying cheap.

For blinky spec classes, your choice of ESC doesn't matter nearly as much.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I've bought nearly all of my fleet of 12th scale LRP esc used

Old 05-27-2015, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

I have purchased for both bashing and racing at least 20+ ESC's over the past 10 years. Probably more ESCs than that.

To be clear what I consider a "cheap" ESC is one such as HobbyWing or SpeedPassion ...they can be had for not very much. "Expensive" ESCs in my opinion are from Tekin, Viper, LRP, Novak, Castle, etc... and cost considerably more money.

I have owned both cheap and expensive ESC's. I have had only one issue with all of the ESC's in all my years of running them and it was sadly with an expensive one. Thankfully I was able to get a replacement because of the great customer experience.

My opinion, I like the cheap ESC's just as much as the expensive ones. In fact my favorite lately has been the ESC's from Speed Passion (which I consider cheap). I personally think the cheap ESCs work great just as good as the expensive ones, biggest difference I can find is the Chinglish manuals which can be frustrating.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
I have purchased for both bashing and racing at least 20+ ESC's over the past 10 years. Probably more ESCs than that.

To be clear what I consider a "cheap" ESC is one such as HobbyWing or SpeedPassion ...they can be had for not very much. "Expensive" ESCs in my opinion are from Tekin, Viper, LRP, Novak, Castle, etc... and cost considerably more money.

I have owned both cheap and expensive ESC's. I have had only one issue with all of the ESC's in all my years of running them and it was sadly with an expensive one. Thankfully I was able to get a replacement because of the great customer experience.

My opinion, I like the cheap ESC's just as much as the expensive ones. In fact my favorite lately has been the ESC's from Speed Passion (which I consider cheap). I personally think the cheap ESCs work great just as good as the expensive ones, biggest difference I can find is the Chinglish manuals which can be frustrating.
+1 for speed passion. I just raced the pro 1.1 at the Reedy Race and it was quick, reliable, and really smooth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.