Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
T1FK05, cream of the crop, awsome engineering,lusted after ???? >

T1FK05, cream of the crop, awsome engineering,lusted after ????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T1FK05, cream of the crop, awsome engineering,lusted after ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 06:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

lol the car drove phycotic dont know how i still took the win i was limping it home for about 4 laps after the race i found another reacon why they car went nuts the right driveshaft was broken never done that b4 wondered why it was understeering one way bad and the car slowed down thought the IB3800 went flat
Old 10-30-2005, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

Yokomo and Corally don't need any hopups. Tamiya, Schumacher, and Xray do need hopups.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The average serious racer will spend whatever he/she has to to go as fast as their own God given abilities will allow. Just think about this for a moment. At the end of a racing season, would you really want to look back and think, man, I could have been alot faster for about $200.00 more? I know I wouldn't. I understand that money does not grow on trees, but wouldn't it be better to wait and save to buy what will make you the fastest than buy what is cheaper and struggle? Whatever car racers buy will need some hop ups. Some companies just offer more tuning options than others. I guess I am just wired to do whatever it takes to be faster.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by odawg315
i must be an idiot as well, cuz i agree with him... guess im an idiot with a 4yr degree!!

Unless your Bachlors degree reads the following:

Devry Technical University

Presents Odawg315, the bachlors degree of science in:

Rating RC Cars based on composite plastic use vs. Plate graphite

Then I'd say your education has very little to do with this topic.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadCapece
Yokomo and Corally don't need any hopups. Tamiya, Schumacher, and Xray do need hopups.

I have not seen one Yokomo that didn't require some sort of better driveshafts due to failure of the standard items.

perhaps people have misread my comments, I am not bashing X-Ray or any other brand. My point is why are we paying so much money for these cars when, IMO, they all have something wrong with them?

What sort of development is actually taking place when as soon as the car hits the market, all these shortcomings become apparent?

Take any car you can think of and have a good look at it. Can it actually be raced in Mod completely standard without requiring some form of stronger part?

If one exists then let me know, because that's the car I want to buy
Old 10-30-2005, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

I said "need" not want. Yokomo has steel axles. Some hopup to aluminium or titanium.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadCapece
I said "need" not want. Yokomo has steel axles. Some hopup to aluminium or titanium.
The guys I've seen (some top-line racers) have been upgrading due to failures - they had to go to stronger items to get the car to finish a race.

I'd say that qualifies as a "need".
Old 10-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

SOVIET- I see you keep starting thread about cars you feel have been looked over or made fun of TC4, and the JRXS. So I'll give you my opinions and first hand experiance with these cars.

TC4- while I think the FT TC4 is a sweet looking car it's 2 years late. While the TC3 was well ahead of it's time (in 1999) I think that by 2001/02 they could have released a NEW car not late 04, and then the TC4 they released was nothing more than what most guys (including factory guys) were moding their TC3's to. Yes the FT TC4 is new and different for Associated but other companys had already built that car the HPI PRO4 in early 04, Tamiya with the EVO III when I came back in early 03, and Yokomo also in early 03. The fact remains that Associateds parts quality leaves alot to be desired. I still have a TC3 but in 03 when I switched to a XRAY from the first Florida State race I had with it I went from barely making the A in stock and the bottom of the B in 19 turn to challenging for TQ in stock and making the A in 19 turn. I would rather run the BMI TC4 cause I just think that the materials BMI uses are better than Associateds. Just in case you think i'm an AE hater I own more AE cars than any others and I recently finished 4th in 1/12 at the ROAR on-road Nats with a Stock 12L4.

JRXS- This car I really like but have watched guys who I know to be good racers struggle with it. I had in my hand one of the first 20 before any pictures ever appeared on the net cause I'm real good freinds with a guy who was a full factory Team Losi driver and decided he would rather pay for an XRAY than run a FREE JRXS and his results resently show that he made a good decision.

On the FK05- Back in May at a State Race I was running an MI2 wich I had no luck with at all. On Friday after practice I went in the Hobby shop at the track bought a FK05 and a spool for it. Got 1 practice with it and Qualified 5th and had the lead with less than a minute to go and piped it by myself. I know of 3 guys that saw me do that and went and bought FK05's and ALL of them had atleast 50% off deals with other manufacturers.

GO XRAY

Roly
Old 10-30-2005, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PaintingRoly
SOVIET- I see you keep starting thread about cars you feel have been looked over or made fun of TC4, and the JRXS. So I'll give you my opinions and first hand experiance with these cars.

TC4- while I think the FT TC4 is a sweet looking car it's 2 years late. While the TC3 was well ahead of it's time (in 1999) I think that by 2001/02 they could have released a NEW car not late 04, and then the TC4 they released was nothing more than what most guys (including factory guys) were moding their TC3's to. Yes the FT TC4 is new and different for Associated but other companys had already built that car the HPI PRO4 in early 04, Tamiya with the EVO III when I came back in early 03, and Yokomo also in early 03. The fact remains that Associateds parts quality leaves alot to be desired. I still have a TC3 but in 03 when I switched to a XRAY from the first Florida State race I had with it I went from barely making the A in stock and the bottom of the B in 19 turn to challenging for TQ in stock and making the A in 19 turn. I would rather run the BMI TC4 cause I just think that the materials BMI uses are better than Associateds. Just in case you think i'm an AE hater I own more AE cars than any others and I recently finished 4th in 1/12 at the ROAR on-road Nats with a Stock 12L4.

JRXS- This car I really like but have watched guys who I know to be good racers struggle with it. I had in my hand one of the first 20 before any pictures ever appeared on the net cause I'm real good freinds with a guy who was a full factory Team Losi driver and decided he would rather pay for an XRAY than run a FREE JRXS and his results resently show that he made a good decision.

On the FK05- Back in May at a State Race I was running an MI2 wich I had no luck with at all. On Friday after practice I went in the Hobby shop at the track bought a FK05 and a spool for it. Got 1 practice with it and Qualified 5th and had the lead with less than a minute to go and piped it by myself. I know of 3 guys that saw me do that and went and bought FK05's and ALL of them had atleast 50% off deals with other manufacturers.

GO XRAY

Roly

Roly...I agree with you 100%.

I honestly think that cars need to be thought of differently, ESPECIALLY online, where bench-racers tear apart various designs based on either prejudice, or lack of informed opinion.

Cars need to be thought of as GEOMETRY platforms. They all contain the same electronics, batteries and motors. HOW they put the power down and how they perform that function in their own unique way is what makes them different. Notice I said "different" not "faster" or "slower" as many have put it. Learning a car's geometry and it's particular characteristics while sticking to one platform is what will make you fast. Not hopping around from make to make just because it's the newest kid on the block.

BTW. Just to be understood clearly, I'm not nor have I ever put down a design. I clearly stated that the only reason I didn't like the XRay FK05 was because of how it felt to work on. I just didn't like it. It's not the car's fault, it's my own personal preference. However, with that said, I would like to see more folks run WHAT THEY LIKE, as opposed to what everyone else decides is superior in the Borg collective known as the internet. (Given my druthers, I'd run a Shumie Mi2. I rebuilt one for a buddy up in PA and it was such a nice car to work on. However, local parts support for Shumie's is markedly lacking. )

Bet you didn't see that coming.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Blizz
If I still had to race with plastic cars like TC3 or Yokomo MR4TC I would quit. Racing cars are supposed to be proper racing cars with the best materials, not like plastic toy cars. I happily pay 100+ USD for these cars that makes me smile every time I look at them. Anyway cheap plastic cars are still available so you are free to chose those if you want them.

Nothing personal, however you may need some enlightenment.

The "Plastic" that you refer to is actually molded composite. FRP or GRP has been used in the space program, military aircraft and various other industrial applications for many, many years.

Any manufacturer that uses either FRP or GRP is using it for a reason. You can get more complex shapes with a molded chassis, gearbox, etc. The sheer cost in tooling the molds to produce such parts would make your head spin. Far more than the cost of running a CNC milling machine to mill a graphite plate or cut Al bulkheads. In many cases, FRP or GRP molded parts are many times stronger than Al or steel for their weight and dimensions.

The "Plastic" you refer to is only seen on cheap toys and is known as ABS Plastic.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Question:

Why is this car popular, I mean, it seems to me that Tamiya and HPI/HotBodies have been winning the biggies lately or am I missing the point. Great engineering (and I love well made cars), sure, but where are the big wins. Mind you I forgot who finish 2nd, 3rd, etc. But we just remember the winners.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Team-RTR
one quick sydney driver recently switched from RDX to FK05. he is already quicker.
I switched from Xray to RDX and got faster
Old 10-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vabroom
Question:

Why is this car popular, I mean, it seems to me that Tamiya and HPI/HotBodies have been winning the biggies lately or am I missing the point. Great engineering (and I love well made cars), sure, but where are the big wins. Mind you I forgot who finish 2nd, 3rd, etc. But we just remember the winners.
Ive said it before and ill say it again. Its all in the damn driver! Xray tied at the Reedy race this year remember, but tamiya/hot bodies/associated do have "better" drivers than xray does and thats why they are getting the results at an international level.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Windsorguy99
The plastic shocks are included because team drivers run them and feel that they are smoother and work better than the aluminum bodies. The plastic shocks are fantastic if you assemble them correctly.

The other hopups or parts are only to make small improvements for certain surfaces....they are more option parts for tuning than true 'hopups'....the car is perfectly capable on most surfaces straight out of the box...(different springs and shock oils aside...but even that will depend on driving style and setup)
Anytime an RC company doesn't include something in the kit that will cut into their profits they use the line "team drivers don't use them". This is such BS, they say that about not including a battery strap as well but open your RCCA Touring Car edition to page 42 and take a peak at Ralph Burch's car. It shows:

1. Battery Strap
2. Aluminum C hubs
3. Wide Top Deck

Now granted the Wide Top Deck is more for carpet but I would bet (not shown in the picture) that he is also using Steel Axles at least in the front. Why aren't those included in a "Team Driver" quality car?
Old 10-30-2005, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Vabroom- You want BIG wins???? FK05 won the Snowbirds the biggest race in the world. It tide for first at the Reedy but Dresher got the tie breaker and It did win 19turn at the Reedy. At the ROAR nats it Won stock and finished 2nd and 3rd in 19 turn and 2nd in Mod. So what big race(s) are you talking about????? At the 5 biggest races this year each one had a different winner Birds XRAY, Carpet Nats RDX, Reedy FT TC4, Vegas Tamiya 415 MSX, and the Out-door nats HB Cyclone. So maybe I'm stupid but I don't see Tamiya and Hot Bodies (HPI) winning all the BIG races

Roly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.